Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Here's a question that is not so easy to answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I think you will find your statement incorrect also.
    No one except the registered owner may handle the E endorsed firearm let alone fire it.
    So why can I go into most gun shops, auctions etc. and pick up E cat guns and play with them?

Did nobody tell the dealers? Or do they know that no bastard is going to buy something without looking at it?
    Jexla likes this.

Banned
    No one except the registered owner may handle the E endorsed firearm let alone fire it.
    So why can I, and everybody else, go into most gun shops, auctions, gun shows etc. and pick up E cat guns and play with them?

Did nobody tell the dealers? Or do they know that no bastard is going to buy something without looking at it?

Settle down son,you're sstuttering.
    AzumitH likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    So why can I, and everybody else, go into most gun shops, auctions, gun shows etc. and pick up E cat guns and play with them?

@systolic

With reference to the Arms Acts and Regulations and specifically The Arms Code section 5d offences
    5d) Offences with firearms
    Firearms owners and users have certain obligations under the Arms Act. Failure to follow these requirements can lead to prosecution. Most are common sense but if you are in any doubt, or require more information, you should contact the Police or a solicitor, or obtain a copy of the Arms Act and Regulations (New Zealand Legislation (link is external)).

Some of the offences are listed below in general terms:

Being in possession of a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA without the required endorsement.

Supplying a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA to someone who does not have a permit to procure.

With regard to these two offences a member of the public with an E Endorsement may have a defence if in physical possession of an MSSA while in the shop, gun store, dealers premises, gun show etc,
    however I would think the dealer/shop Employee/Registered Owner may struggle to defend themselves against a supply offence charge if they handed over an MSSA for your inspection without first sighting and signing a permit to procure as you now have physical possession, and unless you had a permit to procure said specific MSSA then an offence of supply may have been committed when the MSSA was handed over for your inspection.

This I believe gave rise to the saying "The Law is an Ass"

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @systolic

With reference to the Arms Acts and Regulations and specifically The Arms Code section 5d offences
    5d) Offences with firearms
    Firearms owners and users have certain obligations under the Arms Act. Failure to follow these requirements can lead to prosecution. Most are common sense but if you are in any doubt, or require more information, you should contact the Police or a solicitor, or obtain a copy of the Arms Act and Regulations (New Zealand Legislation (link is external)).

Some of the offences are listed below in general terms:

Being in possession of a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA without the required endorsement.

Supplying a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA to someone who does not have a permit to procure.

With regard to these two offences a member of the public with an E Endorsement may have a defence if in physical possession of an MSSA while in the shop, gun store, dealers premises, gun show etc,
    however I would think the dealer/shop Employee/Registered Owner may struggle to defend themselves against a supply offence charge if they handed over an MSSA for your inspection without first sighting and signing a permit to procure as you now have physical possession, and unless you had a permit to procure said specific MSSA then an offence of supply may have been committed when the MSSA was handed over for your inspection.

This I believe gave rise to the saying "The Law is an Ass"

Cheers
    Pete
    So if I read this right, assuming I have an e endorsement (which I dont) and say that I am looking at buying a rifle, this means I need to get a permit to procure for each of the rifles I want to handle and check to see if they are what I want? You are not wrong, the law is an ass in that case.

Banned
    If the cops can't even be arsed turning up to burglaries because they're so short staffed, why would they give a fuck about people window shopping for guns.

Unless I hear credible reports of people getting arrested for handling assault rifles in gun shops without the permits or endorsements, I'm going to keep doing it.
    P38, veitnamcam and Jexla like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    If the cops can't even be arsed turning up to burglaries because they're so short staffed, why would they give a fuck about people window shopping for guns.

Unless I hear credible reports of people getting arrested for handling assault rifles in gun shops without the permits or endorsements, I'm going to keep doing it.
    20 months for knowingly buying stolen handguns with no licence..... clearly the govt doesn't really give a shit about illegal guns it is the legal ones they want to shut down.
    P38 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    I think the cops who got a gun pointed at them last night in Christchurch give a shit.

Whilst you may very well be right, that doesn't make my comment incorrect like you've suggested, does it?

My apologies you are correct. But the regulations do state that the person who's endorsed to that firearm is the only one able to handle the firearm.
    Agreed, which even further proves my point of how retarded our law is