Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: How Could This Happen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    that is basically what the firearms officer said to me when the missus and my teenage son got their licenses recently. They breezed through as me being a hunter/shooter for nearly 30 yrs and the kids both growing up around guns and using them and being taught how and when to use them he was happy as to sign off on them. But he really struggles when he goes to interviews only to find that there is no history of firearms use in the family and zero experience with guns , from a safety aspect , to bring himself to sign off on them and will often dig deeper looking for a reason not to issue the license.
    when i did my pistol licence i had to do 6 months probation, should all new firearms licence hold be made to do say the znda hunts coarse and be mentioned by a club member with nro qualifications for 6 months before being signed off as fit to use a firearm.?
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    when i did my pistol licence i had to do 6 months probation, should all new firearms licence hold be made to do say the znda hunts coarse and be mentioned by a club member with nro qualifications for 6 months before being signed off as fit to use a firearm.?
    I think that's a tricky one.
    It's certainly not a bad idea in principle , but could possibly be a major hurdle for some to complete a course simply through geography. All well and good if you live somewhere close to where any potential courses would be held. But being in the South island in particular there could potentially be ALOT of travel to get to said courses.
    We are in Nelson for example which may be okay as far as course setting goes but it's five hours travel to the next major city such as chch so could potentially be a 2 1/2 hr trip to get to a course and the same home again if you live somewhere in between.
    Plus we don't want it priced out of reach either.
    We need as many FAL holders as we can to join the ranks and help remove the demonization of gun ownership and stand against any new bs laws.
    Like I said... tricky.
    But there must be a middle ground that can be found to increase training and safety without putting off potential gun owners.
    Well those are my thoughts anyway...
    Moa Hunter, piwakawaka and mimms2 like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    Considering everyones comments so far and mucko's post, it seems unanimous that proper practical firearms skills training is required. The question then for me is who should do it. Would it make sense for the Military to oversea these courses and for them to be held at the training barracks away from the main bases. In Canterbury we have the West Melton Range and Barracks, it is some considerable distance from Burnham.
    Should we wright to ACT and ask them to raise the matter ??
    Finnwolf likes this.

said it before and got lynched for it......make licences graduated...just like drivers licence......have say a 12mths probation/learner period where you need a sponser...you can own firearms but they stored at sponsers house,you can have them for 48-72???hrs so need temporary storage....BUT they must be back in sponsers safe or you in the shit...
    now me,if asked to be sponsor would ask#1 where you going #2 who with#3 and piss in wagon#wheres permit/permission#4 when you coming back.
    if didnt like any of answers...piss off hairylegs,you not getting guns and if you dont like it,they can go to police station and you can ask Mr Plod if you can have them...
    would really make you think before standing as sponsor,same as reference for someone...they would need to prove themselves fit n proper before you would....
    THERE is multi page thread on other pub...I reserect it in march each year...all about near misses etc...frightening reading.
    Moa Hunter, Phil_H and Ftx325 like this.

I blame the internet,
    I feel sorry for your mate and every other person that has had a "close call"

Every forum on hunting has a thread about the "easy deer" by the hut, we are putting it into sheeples heads that there are deer near huts, ergo whenever you get near a hut there will be deer, its an expectation.
    DOC are doing there best to remedy this, by removing all the huts. Except those where hunting is banned and you can have a great walk instead.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Something doesn’t add up with this..
    ^^^^

Why is the internet only lighting up about this 10-11 months later?

What was reported at the time? Nothing?

If nothing, are you trying to tell me that a mountain biker that gets shot at practically face-to-face next to a hut doesn’t make a public fuss?

Sorry to sound cynical with everyone going off like Guy Fawkes but something doesn’t gel with the story.
    Proudkiwi, Lentil, Moutere and 3 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

will see if can find thread and bump it,just incase you pop in for a pint.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    ^^^^

Why is the internet only lighting up about this 10-11 months later?

What was reported at the time? Nothing?

If nothing, are you trying to tell me that a mountain biker that gets shot at practically face-to-face next to a hut doesn’t make a public fuss?

Sorry to sound cynical with everyone going off like Guy Fawkes but something doesn’t gel with the story.
    Well not everyone is the type of person to make a fuss. Next time you are in Canterbury let me know and I will introduce you to my friend.
    He only told me about it this week.
    My guess is that all of us have had a terrifying near-on car crash that we only just avoided but didn't rush off and report, as an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Considering everyones comments so far and mucko's post, it seems unanimous that proper practical firearms skills training is required. The question then for me is who should do it. Would it make sense for the Military to oversea these courses and for them to be held at the training barracks away from the main bases. In Canterbury we have the West Melton Range and Barracks, it is some considerable distance from Burnham.

You may be a wee bit out of touch with just how small and incapable our military has been run down to. In the 80's I would have said yes to your question, the Army could do that. Nowadays Ha!! Good luck. Its completely tapped out just supporting this MIQ farce.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    You won't find me in your lynch mob. I think such a system could definitely have merit. If nothing else, all decisions by the new hunter/firearms user would have to get scrutiny and if nothing else enforce upon them the the seriousness of the privilege of carrying a firearm.

They would have to think about where they are going and is it legal........not just lets get the guns and go for a drive.
    They would have to think about who they are going with and is it wise, and what are the implications of say Fred over say James or Fred and can I truly say to them, "no you can't shoot the rifle".
    Yes, is there going to be any booze........

And it goes on and on........

I think such a system could really be good.

Ask yourself........could 'Tarrant' have got through if there had been a system like this? Maybe yes, but such close scrutiny would put most wannabe terrorists off I am sure...and if not, give the sponsor a lot more time to do the sniff test.

Cheers
    Phil
    Just remember that the particular fkwit you mentioned in the last paragraph was reportedly mentioned to the plod on more than one occasion , including a high ranking officer from memory , by other members of his rifle range and what did they do about it....fuck all.
    I wouldn't count on that particular bunch to be very useful
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I only got my FAL last year, no history of firearms in my family either, it was pretty easy to go get.

My step son hunts butI had never been out with him, the original idea for me was so he could store rifles at our place instead of his own place in Christchurch.

Have since teamed up with my work mate ho has hunted all his life to make sure I don't do anything stupid, I appreciate his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    problem with military is nationwide access to a range for practical lessons in handling. where as NZDA have ranges in most places with multiple national range officers, a lot of the old timers where the guys in the mountain safety council who where doing the teaching on licence night at the local scout hall. there is intellectual and physical property in the NZDA to run the licencing training, the hurdle is the government does not want us united. but that's probably the best way to teach people to use firearms safely and prove fit and proper status.
    Woody, berg243, Phil_H and 1 others like this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

This is the main reason why I like hunting in restricted areas, much less likely to encounter another person (only poachers). Too many trigger fingers out there. Shame to die because of someone else's stupidity with firearms. Horrible. It's one thing for people to stupidly shoot at just movement or sound, but at such a short distance in such an open area?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    rarely have I seen a deer on a mountain bike .....
    Or checking the front tire of one I might venture!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms