Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Importing Firearms

Importing Firearms

Not really safety-related, but it seemed the closest to the topic.

How hard is the process of importing a firearm, really? The police website makes it seem like a simple matter of getting the right permit signed off, place your offshore order, and voila. But I can't believe it really is that simple, so I'm hoping there's someone else here who's done it and can shed a little real-world light for me.

Nothing dodgy, I've just seen something that I like and if I go through a NZ Dealer it'll take months and there'll be a fair bit of ticket-clipping along the way. Or, I can purchase direct and get it quite a bit quicker and cheaper (or so it seems)

Permits are backed at the moment, waiting to get some barrels in from canada.

It wont be cheaper generally unless what you are after is unusual and generally not available here.
    I have imported multiple times from US
    It takes often months (up to 12) at times.
    Finding US suppliers who will sell to you can be problematic
    Finding a US Exporter can be an issue too although once you have found one and get a bit of a relationship going its not too bad.
    Shotguns from US are easier than rifles as classified differently.
    In NZ you pay GST on total value + MPI biosecurity fees and have to find a courier to take it once it clears customs.
    All the risk is on you along with warrenty
    So if its unusual then yes doable but generally I would say not worth it unless its an unusual make / calibre etc and not available here.
    Ronin007 likes this.

And then possible issue of once it arrives.

My last two imports were mags and I had the issue of customs stopping them whilst moving for a check - no issues there, but once they had been cleared with permits checked no local courier company or NZ post would onwards ship to South Island. It seems that once they get stopped in transit no local firm is eager to pick up the job.

Ended up waiting at NZ post center in AKL for a friend with a licence to collect, and even then NZ Post were getting impatient and wanting to dispose of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Finding a US Exporter can be an issue too although once you have found one and get a bit of a relationship going its not too bad.
    Shotguns from US are easier than rifles as classified differently.
    Would the same apply to a PCP do you know? Does the US classify them the same as a rifle for exporting?

Quote Originally Posted by Baz036 View Post

Ended up waiting at NZ post center in AKL for a friend with a licence to collect, and even then NZ Post were getting impatient and wanting to dispose of them.
    So customs will release to another FAL holder, not just to the name on the permit?

Easier to go thru an agent who specializes in this end of the trans-action. Wouldn't be viable for one item though.