Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Interesting clip on TV news tonight...

Interesting clip on TV news tonight...

Police are apparently finding a heap more people involved in 3D printing firearms parts and recovering a lot more 3D printed 'guns' (if that's what you can call them) while executing search warrants.

First thought is geez, you'd have to be bloody keen or not interested in retaining your hands to actually fire one and second - well that makes the control measures they are trying to implement more of a moot point. If you're printing the things at will it's a bit of a farce really isn't it?

I feel like a poll is in order - would you be willing to shoot a 3D plastic printed firearm? My answer - hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Police are apparently finding a heap more people involved in 3D printing firearms parts and recovering a lot more 3D printed 'guns' (if that's what you can call them) while executing search warrants.

First thought is geez, you'd have to be bloody keen or not interested in retaining your hands to actually fire one and second - well that makes the control measures they are trying to implement more of a moot point. If you're printing the things at will it's a bit of a farce really isn't it?

I feel like a poll is in order - would you be willing to shoot a 3D plastic printed firearm? My answer - hell no!
    Maybe a 22 one.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

More about intimidation
    Could you tell the difference from say 20 feet away if it's real or a 3D printed one ?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Someone in the states printed hundreds of guns then handed them in at an amnesty and got paid over $20k for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
    More about intimidation
    Could you tell the difference from say 20 feet away if it's real or a 3D printed one ?
    May as well buy a soft air pistol, instead of print one?
    One of the points I made in my submission, was, anyone one with a lathe, milling machine, a bit of knowledge can manufacture a firearm, so tell me again about registration
    BSA, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

They basically only 3D print the 'handles'. The working parts still have to be steel to last more than a couple of shots, even in .22. I saw someone on the news suggesting that plans etc. should be banned. Hell, there are plenty of people on here that would have to have their heads removed because of the info stored in them!
    Maca49, kotuku, BSA and 1 others like this.

Scaremongering by the media sums it up.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

There are some pretty viable ones out there, you might get yourself on a list but search for fgc9 on YouTube, at least one of these has been found in nz

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post

It's almost like all those submissions on the arms act change that said this were on to something.

It's almost like dealing with tweedle dee and wonder dummy.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Scaremongering by the media sums it up.
    You can 3d print steel.

Anyone with a few skills, materials and a milling machine and a lathe can make a weapon. The barrel is the tricky part.

We will see a lot more of this sort of thing as time goes on. I would say it's only a matter of time before some enterprising person starts making homemade pistols for naughty people.

Most times they only fire a single shot and are done. But that can be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Anyone with a few skills, materials and a milling machine and a lathe can make a weapon. The barrel is the tricky part.

We will see a lot more of this sort of thing as time goes on. I would say it's only a matter of time before some enterprising person starts making homemade pistols for naughty people.
    Dont even need a milling machine or a lathe, they can be made in a home workshop with basic tools such as a vice and a drill press. Barrels can be made by some way of using electricity and chemistry, dont ask me how cos its way beyond my pay grade. I met a guy a year or so back that had made a rifle barrel using this method and was happy with the result.

Here is a link to an older story with a picture of said 3d printed gun https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/gang-m...FDYPVFLNELYIA/

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Here is a link to an older story with a picture of said 3d printed gun https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/gang-m...FDYPVFLNELYIA/
    Shit, the barrel would have dropped really fast, semi auto my arse
    Boom, cough,cough,cough