Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Kaimai shooters on target

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    It's gone on for the 60 odd years I've frequented the bush, wouldn't have a clue if it's become more obvious or that social media has made the problem more aware. One thing that has become more obvious are empty RTD cans that liter our bush roads.
    The scouts that used to camp at my place did a rubbish collection on Thompson's Track from the summit to the car park on Waikato side...the predominant rubbish was plastic water bottles followed by V drink cans and bottles.

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    725
    Society hasn't just invented retards. They have been living among us since forever. Its only the recent advent of Social Media that has permitted the visual sharing of the retards' life. And got us talking about their actions. And the potential for bad press.

    I've seen rifle fire damage to padlocks on NZFS food lockers in the type70 6 man huts back in the 1960's, permalat track markers shot full of holes in the 70's, 4WD tracks rutted so badly from 'hoons' in shorty Landies with 186's in them and sporting 825's, again in the 70's. Its all not new. Been here forever. Hell, I remember being made to pick up rubbish along the Desert road, for CB punishment back in the late 70's. Litterbugs, no respect for the environment. Lazy useless wastrels

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    285
    You will probably find this kind of behaviour more common in the future with the police putting more restrictions and compliance costs on ranges.

    These compliance costs will contribute to the closure of ranges due to nobody wanting to pay to use them and the organisations running them having insufficient fund to keep up the certifying and compliance costs.

    From the police
    o New Zealand Police is now a regulator using regulatory principals. The discussions in
    this group will help make decisions on what the range standard is for each discipline,
    and this will enable everyone to comply with these standards.
    o That there are only about 50,000 firearms licence holders who are part of shooting
    clubs, out of roughly 250,000 firearms licence holders. That means 80% of licence
    holder are not parts of clubs. A lot of the work will be in the ad hoc ranges used by
    these 80%.
    o An issue is between sighting in once off versus regular occurrence, e.g. competition.
    Focus of the Act are the ranges with regular occurrences. By focusing on these types
    of ranges the standards will give authority to committees and bodies who have done
    very good work in making safe ranges available to club members and the public.
    o Acknowledging that ad hoc ranges will exist and that Police as the regulator will
    most likely not know about many of them due to their ad hoc nature. This is an
    opportunity to develop a number of FAQs for potential users of ranges/people who
    want to set up ad hoc ranges, and to make it easy for these licence holders to set up
    their ranges safely and shoot safely.


    Would shooting at signs now mean these are ad hoc ranges?

  4. #19
    Forgotten but not gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    3,705
    That sign has been there for a long time , complete with holes. Why has DoC not replaced it as part of their general maintanance program? Is it part of an ongoing campaign to make shooters look bad in public?
    tetawa likes this.
    Be more involved and less impressed.

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    You will probably find this kind of behaviour more common in the future with the police putting more restrictions and compliance costs on ranges.

    These compliance costs will contribute to the closure of ranges due to nobody wanting to pay to use them and the organisations running them having insufficient fund to keep up the certifying and compliance costs.

    From the police
    o New Zealand Police is now a regulator using regulatory principals. The discussions in
    this group will help make decisions on what the range standard is for each discipline,
    and this will enable everyone to comply with these standards.
    o That there are only about 50,000 firearms licence holders who are part of shooting
    clubs, out of roughly 250,000 firearms licence holders. That means 80% of licence
    holder are not parts of clubs. A lot of the work will be in the ad hoc ranges used by
    these 80%.
    o An issue is between sighting in once off versus regular occurrence, e.g. competition.
    Focus of the Act are the ranges with regular occurrences. By focusing on these types
    of ranges the standards will give authority to committees and bodies who have done
    very good work in making safe ranges available to club members and the public.
    o Acknowledging that ad hoc ranges will exist and that Police as the regulator will
    most likely not know about many of them due to their ad hoc nature. This is an
    opportunity to develop a number of FAQs for potential users of ranges/people who
    want to set up ad hoc ranges, and to make it easy for these licence holders to set up
    their ranges safely and shoot safely.


    Would shooting at signs now mean these are ad hoc ranges?
    @small_caliber. Where did you get that bullet pointed text?

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    That sign has been there for a long time , complete with holes. Why has DoC not replaced it as part of their general maintanance program? Is it part of an ongoing campaign to make shooters look bad in public?
    Sign has been there since 2010

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    8,373
    One of the worst I have seen was the toilet at borland saddle someone had let a few rounds of 12g off from inside the toilet.....

  8. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Looks well "aged" from the days when everyone could own a semi.
    W.T.F.? Could have been shot using any type of action.

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    W.T.F.? Could have been shot using any type of action.
    Yes, it could but the ones who took great pleasure in spraying rounds about seemed to use semis. Don't find the large quantiles of m/t brass and shot up beer cartons, cans and bottles at old skid sites and forestry road turn arounds like were there in good old legal semi days.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    142
    No real difference around these parts. Still seem to be arse-holes out there that see the need to shoot DOC and road signs. Same problem with cans and bottles, mainly seem to be Tui and Cody drinkers along with the odd Heinekin.

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mangakino
    Posts
    823
    My uncle was the Taupo AA man 40+ years ago.
    Some damage impressed him.
    Sign to Lake Rotopounamu they shot the bolt heads.
    He stepped it out to where he found the brass and reckoned they could shoot.
    They flogged a sign of the bridge north of Waipapa Dam the big high one over the Mangawhio.
    He harnessed up and stuck it out over the abyss.
    They flogged it again.
    He gave up.
    In fact I think it still doesn't have a sign.
    But it isn't new just some idiot's use firearms to damage stuff.
    Some of the damage to huts isn't firearms related just shitheads.

    Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

  12. #27
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    8,979
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    One of the worst I have seen was the toilet at borland saddle someone had let a few rounds of 12g off from inside the toilet.....
    it was the deaf fella who did it.....if he wasnt deaf beforehand he sure as shit would be afterwards.....

  13. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    No real difference around these parts. Still seem to be arse-holes out there that see the need to shoot DOC and road signs. Same problem with cans and bottles, mainly seem to be Tui and Cody drinkers along with the odd Heinekin.
    Glad "Waikato" was missing, @Rushy won't have to defend his favorite nectar drinkers. Cody"s seems to be a favorite of the mobile "hunter"
    erniec likes this.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    This sign was originally put up after someone drove off the end of the track over a 80 metre bluff but now seems to be used by all and sundry as something to blow their frustrations off at after finding there are "no deer in the Kaimai's"...for those that worry about hunters 'image' this is a prime example of what is not needed...DoC would have been better off to have put up a bulls-eye target with safe backdrop, at least the general public would understand...in a perfect world all those bullet holes would have been made by owners of a FAL.

    Attachment 164299
    If anyone asks say it is where the Gangs do their training, probably be close to the truth.
    Micky Duck likes this.

  15. #30
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    30,794
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Glad "Waikato" was missing, @Rushy won't have to defend his favorite nectar drinkers.
    It is just as well. I wouldn’t want to have to put the hurt on anyone for bringing the ne tar of the gods into disrepute.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 14-02-2018, 01:48 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22-07-2015, 04:39 PM
  3. Kaimai 13
    By mohawk in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-04-2014, 07:36 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 20-05-2012, 12:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!