Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sharki
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 2 Post By mikee

Thread: Kudos to Licensing- Visitors

Kudos to Licensing- Visitors

5 weeks from application to receival for a visitors licence, they ask for 4 month lead time though
    - included 2 changes 1 in week 2 of application- change of firearm caliber
    another change in week 4 - flight details, airline gets back to me and say they wont fly a rifle- which I then find out from AU Boarder force out is BS, if u don't have ammo they cant say no, U hand it in to Boarder force at the airport, not the airline, - who then takes care of it, they will even make sure it gets from a domestic flight onto the international one, this is either new or I've been doing it wrong, last time before covid and the Chch fiasco with that idiot we shall not name, I just handed rifle in a secure case in to airnz, no ammo, at check in, collected at Chch - declared to cops , showed licence - paid my $24 and on my way

NZ police licensing
    Minimum fuss, fair amount of paperwork, clear process all online
    excellent communication
    leads to a NZ customs importer number because the value of a rifle and scope is more than 1K. Yes any import more than 1k U need a customs number, jeesz add a backpack , and a sleeping bag, never mind a phone or binos, there's blokes i see with phones twice that much in their hands, but Im flying with a "GUN" so doing everything right
    NZ customs
    quick online application , but now what paperwork will they want, and once I'm on the system, what body checks they gonna do when I flag at the airport?

Wish I could say the same of the process on this side customs fobs you off to the cops , sends you back to customs- which by now is not online or on the phone anymore, this is now a "in person job" who sits in the reception and fills in forms as they generate them, they eventually realize im willing to sleep in their office, so they say its Dept of Defence, but at least helps me fill in the paperwork I m gonna need once Dept of Defence gives me an OK.(only because i already had the form and was asking the questions- I had a tip from a bloke in the gunclub about the right form not going to be available, except for your name and address this form is all customs codes, reads like the stock report in a newspaper)

DOD is a maze of forms -yes u can export a weapon of mass destruction or the parts to make 1-there is a form for it (same form as for some medical equipment)
    I phone them up and speak to the most helpful bloke who laughs about the whole process, tells me which forms to fill in , calls me back to say there is a mistake , fixes it , helps me with the next form, calls me the next day with a request of more info. Awaiting the permit.
    Now for the forms to import it back to au - condition of visitors licence it must

Old bloke I know remembers walking with a 22 slung over 1 shoulder, swag roll over the other walking around Brisbane rail station changing trains to go rabbiting every other week, guns was considered tools
    Now we are tools and guns are dangerous

I have spent so much time exploring government websites, tracking the right forms, stalking the right person and killing forms and butchering paperwork, that i dont know if i will have time or strength left for the real thing 😉
    Moa Hunter and canross like this.

Yes that 4 months delay for visitors permits when it used to be pretty much under 1 month in The past is a joke.
    The nz firearm authority are now employing 450 people , you d think the process could be sped up , not slowed down!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Wish I could say the same of the process on this side ..
    I have spent so much time exploring government websites, tracking the right forms, stalking the right person and killing forms and butchering paperwork, that i dont know if i will have time or strength left for the real thing ��
    Been there, done that for an international event in March and about to do it again in Oz. Least i have a CCID number for any future events. The biggest pisser was that we were merely passing through Oz for the event and never left the transit lounge, never mind had no access to the guns anyway. Your paperwork over there is mind-numbing. One form was over a dozen pages long and you had to attach all sorts of proof of ID, purpose, details of neighbour's cat's eating habits,......
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I sent a scope to Oz to NIOA (Leupold agents) directly and not through the NZ agents.

Before NIOA would send it back I had to complete a MOD export permit advising of end use all for a scope I sent over for a CDS dial.

I advised NIOA I didn’t have to do this on the last scope (2 months earlier) which they advised was illegally sent back.

Bureaucracy can be over complicated, death by a thousand paper cuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Yes that 4 months delay for visitors permits when it used to be pretty much under 1 month in The past is a joke.
    The nz firearm authority are now employing 450 people , you d think the process could be sped up , not slowed down!
    Ever watch "Yes Prime Minister" that was almost a doccumentary on how Govt and their agencies work.
    rugerman and csmiffy like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

@mikee I was involved 20 years ago with a nationwide school review which ultimately was about closing small schools and centralizing them regardless of hour plus bus routes. Whilst not to his face, I did scornful and always refer to the MOE official we were dealing with as a Humphrey. They brought up stuff from 30 years before as justification.
    I'm sure they were behind most of it.
    But I digress.
    How stupid is it for a scope that has made it to NZ and being sent to Aussie for repair to need an end use form.
    The sodding thing was here already.
    A bit like me needing a CITES permit for a whitetail skin from Stewart Island when I moved to Aussie.
    Supposedly about endangered and protected animals.
    What a crock. We (govt direction) poison the bloody things as pests. Protected my ass

Re planes and guns etc. My understanding was that regardless of any other factor, the captain has a the right to veto any item on his plane, So if he says no gun, then thats it regardless. This happened too my brother once when pilot told him directly, " You can stay here with your gun, or you can hop on plane without it, but its not going on flight." That was despite the fact the airline carried it too the country in question and despite the fact they were saying it was allowed on plane.