Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: New FAL waiting time

Banana Republic.
    Pengy likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

13 an a half months.
    Dear Firearms Licence Holder,

Thank you for notifying Police about your change of address for your firearms licence within the past 12 months

We have updated your details in our system.

Police may complete a security check in the future to ensure you are complying with your obligations under the Arms Act.

We have included the link below to the firearms security guidelines.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by bombtrack View Post
    Hi everyone. I’m new on the forum and possibly not good in navigation through the topics, so redirect me if topic like this already exists.
    The story is prosaic and probably common.
    I’ve applied for FAL last year (March 2021), then been contacted via email and advised to book my firearms safety course. I’ve completed and passed that course. And after that it’s been almost 17 months of waiting.
    I emailed to FAL commission pretty much every month since begging of this year and all emails look the same( with a bit different wording): “your application is being prepared for vetting and once it’s done your file will be passed to betters for interview”. So, what that means exactly?
    Can anyone help me with a bit of info about real situation? How long it takes? May I think or dream to have my license this year? What I should do to maybe speed them up a bit?
    Thanks a lot.
    I see your in CHCH

My experience here is the arms office is very quick to email you back when you email then stating how busy they, are but seem very reluctant to actually do anything.

I’ve been waiting 18 months for them to inspect my safe in my new house & coming up 7 months now on a licence renewal application.

It doesn’t stop there either – last time I moved house I was asked to ‘describe my security’ as they couldn’t (and didn’t) bother coming to inspect it in the 3 years I was there!

I’m considering approaching my local MP about it as these guys seem so frustratingly incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    How far in advance can you apply? My renewal isn't due until 2025, but starting to get twitchy!

Renewals are quick even quicker if your expiring soon
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Two years for a renewal according to a guy I know who is waiting.
    Totally unacceptable , definitely pays to plan well ahead.

They prioritise renewals especially if yours is near expiring iv just being a reference late last week and asked why my friends was so darn quick. Mine also was 6 weeks max from application to new licence in mail

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Renewals are quick even quicker if your expiring soon
    Sorry I disagree

Applied 2.5 months before end of license and now I have no license, has been several weeks now

They took one calendar year to do my last endorsement which was around 3 years ago

Couldn't find their own arse with both hands

Bugger mine was a year ago now and the interviews were face to face the one I referenced for last week was via a webcam which I imagen speeds things up a ton to she specifically said she was rushing his threw because it was due to expire

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Sorry I disagree

Applied 2.5 months before end of license and now I have no license, has been several weeks now

They took one calendar year to do my last endorsement which was around 3 years ago

I know of a dealer with endorsements whose yearly renewal has expired before its issue date......TWICE.
    308, Micky Duck and Cordite like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

When I first got my license in 2017 it took only 3 weeks for someone to check my storage and another 3 weeks for the license to arrive.
    Are these long waiting time a new thing or was it like this 5 years ago and I just got lucky? Unbelievable that a renewal can take years.
    I only got the license back then because a friend who was running a hunting business told me to get it before they making it harder.
    Glad I did from what I hear, although it took me 5 years to get my own first rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Sorry I disagree

even if they had both hands already on it.
    308 likes this.

In Hamilton, applied for renewal in February, still waiting. I did the email check that they have it and got a reply the following day. Can but hope at this point, mine expires November.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Banana Republic.
    Technically, a banana constitutional monarchy, but give it time!

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Technically, a banana constitutional monarchy, but give it time!
    I can't wait to have not one, not two but three votes. one for party, one for local mp and one for a president. if i were younger i'd have hope the whole system would be rejigged but i fear not.

I have a friend who is still waiting for a renewal
    He applied with plenty of time like they say
    His license expired a few months ago and so his firearms have gone on Holiday at a mates place as per the new requirements
    Still no sign of it being close

I’ve been told unsure if it’s true
    They aren’t even prosessing new licenses at the moment and focus on the backlog of renewal’s

Yes. I agree. However my wife and I dealt with Immigration NZ and surprisingly never had problems, but it was 5 years ago. I know that people now have to wait a lot. To be honest don't know how it is now, but when we were applying for residency, Immigration NZ website offered you to make an profile and private cabinet sort of thing where you can track progress with your application. Police website doesn't have such a service. Or it does and I can't find it?