Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: New FAL waiting time

It's a bit of a bugger if your work means you have to shut a site down for a day to get the interview done taking out five others from working. Got another mate in that position, he's only been contacted once at fairly short notice and he was only offered one time on one day. Unfortunately he was in the other island working and just couldn't get back even if he wanted too. He's gone to the back of the line he thinks, still waiting for a call back. Can understand how the physical interviews can be quite difficult to fit in around when people are available but it's only going to get more time consuming to do things with the workload for their pet registry. There has to be a better way to sort this stuff out without being as rigid as the admin system is trying to be now...
    Eat Meater likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Some vettors are rostered on to work weekends. I haven't heard of any that are limited to not working after 5 pm. Although, winter time is hard on vettors that work rural areas in the evening. Missing letterbox numbers and rainy nights trying to find the right address can't be much fun.

If you want your licence renewed then you're going to have to be prepared to make the time available. It's only once in 10 years. Applicants that expect everything to work in their favour is being unrealistic and unreasonable.
    Ranger 888 and outlander like this.

The lady that vetted me for mates the other month said if she knew I wanted to do a weekend or after work she would do as she was local to me. Really nice lady. She mentioned that the applicant should get free trigger locks issued by the interviewer but the nz police don't have them yet. I asked if she knew what trigger locks were. But she didn't. I was happy to show her some I had so at least she was clued up. The vetters get a hard time but they are only doing there job. They do have lives outside of normal work hours like the rest of us.
    Frogfeatures and timattalon like this.

What is the licence valid for friends young fella got his for only 5 years.

The first one is 5 years I believe then after that it's 10
    Eat Meater likes this.

Had a read online arms code etc and what I found said valid for 10 years.
    Will check with him and confirm that it was for 5 years he did show it to me but will check again.
    Pretty sure expiry was 2023 when it should have been 2028.
    Mind you I had a renewal one time that had wrong dates on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    The first one is 5 years I believe then after that it's 10
    Can confirm

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Some vettors are rostered on to work weekends. I haven't heard of any that are limited to not working after 5 pm. Although, winter time is hard on vettors that work rural areas in the evening. Missing letterbox numbers and rainy nights trying to find the right address can't be much fun.

If you want your licence renewed then you're going to have to be prepared to make the time available. It's only once in 10 years. Applicants that expect everything to work in their favour is being unrealistic and unreasonable.
    Still, I stand by the statement I made earlier - couple of days notice when you aren't in the same island isn't the most user friendly for planning purposes. Nice that they are trying to get things through I guess, but just as they have lives that are busy and it can be hard juggling things at short notice... Especially when it's months or years after the application when you get the initial contact. If you made application, got phone call in a couple of days while the work and life things are fresh in your head it would be a lot easier. I'm well not sure what you mean by applicants expecting everything to work in their favour is unrealistic and unreasonable - any other renewal in the country appears to be processed in a week or less including CoC's, technical registrations, maritime and aviation once medicals and details are sorted, so I'm left wondering how Police can get it so badly stuffed up. It would seem to be a case of unrealistic expectations combined with chronic underinvestment in resourcing and equipping has just bitten one too many times and the end result is a completely nonfunctional system.
    Last edited by No.3; 10-09-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Whats wrong with expecting the service to accommodate your situation?? Its bad enough that unlike every other licence which continues to remain valid until your renewal is issued (or otherwise) once your FAL expires you are forced to accommodate your personal property with others at your risk and can no longer go about your hobby as before.

Its police incompetence that causes the delays not generally the licence holder. Most of us apply well in advance to circumvent such incompetence and yet........................there it is
    stug, timattalon and Sasquatch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Whats wrong with expecting the service to accommodate your situation?? Its bad enough that unlike every other licence which continues to remain valid until your renewal is issued (or otherwise) once your FAL expires you are forced to accommodate your personal property with others at your risk and can no longer go about your hobby as before.

Its police incompetence that causes the delays not generally the licence holder. Most of us apply well in advance to circumvent such incompetence and yet........................there it is
    Licenses are required for a whole bunch of activities......
    Drivers licence
    health and beauty
    markets
    mobile trading
    brothels
    alcohol
    food
    funeral director
    campground
    home based businesses
    rubbish and waste businesses
    gambling
    pilots
    skippers
    commercial fishing
    transport
    etc etc etc just to name a few

Most of those activities involve some risk to the public and some of them have the consequence of injuring or killing the population.
    Most of them also require similar vetting to what is required for a firearms licence.
    They also require relicencing from time to time.
    The relicencing of these is straightforward and is done efficiently and quickly.

Society would come to a standstill very quickly if they were dealt with in the same way that FAL's are dealt with in regards to time delays....
    Imagine not being able to drive for 12 mths, or buy alcohol or fish, get rid of rubbish, fly anywhere, bury your relatives, get your hair cut, catch a bus or train, build a house etc etc etc.....
    mikee, 308, FRST and 6 others like this.

Don't forget about Controlled Substance Licences, HSNO Certified Handlers, Growsafe applicators...

Nice Mckee should be all over this. It's been going on too long.
    outlander likes this.

Yep to that. If an agency administrating can't do the job leading to people being heavily adversely affected when they have taken all practicable steps to comply, then the agency should either extend the licences indefinitely until they can deal with it or admit they can't and step away from administrating it. The fact that this hasn't happened has made it into a government competence issue now.
    outlander likes this.

Margaret who is assigned to vetting my license only works 8-5

I had to take time off with one day's warning and make myself available for this rigmarole and they still haven't got their shit together
    They took a year to do my collector's pre--covid so covid is no excuse

If you don't think that the police have some sort of vendetta going against us then it has to be plain utter incompetence on their part and I'm fed up with their bullshit excuses
    outlander likes this.

I mean Nicole Mckee. Bloody auto correct.