Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: NZ Police to lose responsibility for firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I’d like to see the figures/info that supports the last bit of the above. (Re ‘stolen or bought on behalf of criminals’)
    He doesn’t have to provide figures, he’s like Carhill. They are driven to destroy firearm ownership
    csmiffy likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Nothing will change. While this guys around, he wouldn’t like to lose face.

The vice president & I went to Rotorua to hear the NZ Police Mike McIlrath talk to the Rotorua NZDA. A lot of members are getting excited about the Firearms legislation being dropped after the new government being sworn in, this is not the case in the short term all legislation is being reviewed on its ability to keep the public safe, so this may take some time, in the meantime all legislation stands until we are advised otherwise.
    On big thing that came up was the that over 1,00 guns have been stolen from licensed gun holders in the last 12 months, so his advice was from a security point of view is to have no gun related paraphernalia on any of your vehicles as crimes are following people back to their houses etc.
    This can be things like NZDA, Sika stickers on the window or bumper. Or anything that gives you away as being a hunter. There is a misconception that the guns are being imported by the 501 gangs, but the data shows that most are from either stolen license holders or licensed holders being on behalf of criminals.
    You obviously haven't read the Colfo OIA requests, the police don't track that information so if they are saying the data shows that then the data they are referring to doesn't exist and it is just lies.
    Growlybear and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Badger View Post
    You obviously haven't read the Colfo OIA requests, the police don't track that information so if they are saying the data shows that then the data they are referring to doesn't exist and it is just lies.
    Correct in that the Colfo OIA requests show that as a single point data search there isn't any consistency in how the data is recorded to allow solid data but in terms of the info they are recording for stolen firearms, the data they are recording is going to show that ALL of them are going to be stolen from firearms license holders. Obviously, if you aren't a license holder you aren't going to report that your guns got flogged are you. What the data doesn't show is what they aren't finding, and that data is Customs and border agencies as well as Police so a bit of a dodge regarding using the data to show a point of view most likely.
    rupert, Woody and Finnwolf like this.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by 19Badger View Post
    A bit more info' here:-
    https://www.colfo.org/post/media-led...8-aec66cf2f19e

and here:-
    https://www.colfo.org/post/colfo-con...5-8b646ff6c7b8
    Finnwolf likes this.

Hopefully they're not full of shit regarding the range regs but I'm not holding my breath for the other stuff. Got too many "guns are bad" morons being given too much airtime.
    We need to get the "guns like fishing rod" message out there

STC
    Dont let yourself be gaslit by morons. There arent many anti-gun zealots out there, they are just screaming louder than the normal-thinking rest.

They are screaming really loud at the moment which is hilarious, shows they really are worried about "losing" (for lack of a better term).

All good signs. patience.
    Gamehunter and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Dont let yourself be gaslit by morons. There arent many anti-gun zealots out there, they are just screaming louder than the normal-thinking rest.

They are screaming really loud at the moment which is hilarious, shows they really are worried about "losing" (for lack of a better term).

All good signs. patience.
    I try not to use Reddit too much (as it's mostly snow flake lefties) but this whole Firearms thing has come up a few time on the NZ Reddit page.

The average reddit person is actually far less anti-gun than I expected (I was shoked actually) and are just surprised that people want changes as they thought everyone was happy with the new laws...
    Hopefully with Nicole leading these changes there can be a good faith discussion about firearms, as they sure as hell wasn't able to happen last time.
    Most people are reasonable, and when presented a real debate (rather than the beloved leader scapegoating LFAO) then I think most people will actually be on board.

The biggest issue with regard to anti-gun people is them trying to make out like we are introducing USA style gun laws, if you point out any sporting exemption for semi-auto use is actually more like Europe and especially the nordic countries (Finland, Norway, Sweeden) then it puts it into perspective for people.
    erniec, Woody, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

There is a misconception that the guns are being imported by the 501 gangs, but the data shows that most are from either stolen license holders or licensed holders being on behalf of criminals.
    Police hold no data on diversion, according to an OIA COLFO have. I would like to see the data that says they are either stolen from us or we are diverting to the criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I try not to use Reddit too much (as it's mostly snow flake lefties) but this whole Firearms thing has come up a few time on the NZ Reddit page.

The average reddit person is actually far less anti-gun than I expected (I was shoked actually) and are just surprised that people want changes as they thought everyone was happy with the new laws...
    Hopefully with Nicole leading these changes there can be a good faith discussion about firearms, as they sure as hell wasn't able to happen last time.
    Most people are reasonable, and when presented a real debate (rather than the beloved leader scapegoating LFAO) then I think most people will actually be on board.

The biggest issue with regard to anti-gun people is them trying to make out like we are introducing USA style gun laws, if you point out any sporting exemption for semi-auto use is actually more like Europe and especially the nordic countries (Finland, Norway, Sweeden) then it puts it into perspective for people.
    South Africa has a sporting exemption for semi-auto firearms. Who would have though that given the crime level there. Criminals dont only steal firearms from civi firearms owners. There is a reason that SANDF personal on duty at night have their R4's wired to themselves with padlocks, and the rifle have no magazines fitted.

Mike Mcllrath will be gone, along with Coster but for different reasons.There are affidavits of actions that they have carried out that compromise their positions. These were quite acceptable under previous regimes goals.

There are new sheriffs in town. They should probably just resign now before being arseholed.

Banned
    McIllraith - the guy who destroyed the Mountain Safety Council Firearms Instructors and smiled all the time he was doing it . Bastard.

Aint nothing that guy says that I want to hear ....

Jaysus what a gravy train - this is civil service bloat at its worst

Quote Originally Posted by sportco62 View Post
    McIllraith - the guy who destroyed the Mountain Safety Council Firearms Instructors and smiled all the time he was doing it . Bastard.

Aint nothing that guy says that I want to hear ....
    Totally the wrong guy for the job, but was the right guy for previous govt to try and really kill off shooting as a sport in NZ. Making everything too hard, overly complex, expensive and irrelevant. He did a good job of achieving that, needs to pack his bags.

Nothing will change. While this guys around, he wouldn’t like to lose face.

The vice president & I went to Rotorua to hear the NZ Police Mike McIlrath talk to the Rotorua NZDA. A lot of members are getting excited about the Firearms legislation being dropped after the new government being sworn in, this is not the case in the short term all legislation is being reviewed on its ability to keep the public safe, so this may take some time, in the meantime all legislation stands until we are advised otherwise.
    On big thing that came up was the that over 1,00 guns have been stolen from licensed gun holders in the last 12 months, so his advice was from a security point of view is to have no gun related paraphernalia on any of your vehicles as crimes are following people back to their houses etc.
    This can be things like NZDA, Sika stickers on the window or bumper. Or anything that gives you away as being a hunter. There is a misconception that the guns are being imported by the 501 gangs, but the data shows that most are from either stolen license holders or licensed holders being on behalf of criminals.
    Using his logic I should remove my sky dish and keep windows covered while watching tv to lessen the change of my tv being stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Regarding this ^. It's a good idea when you suspect someone is following you for a little too long to not drive directly to your home. In the past I actually have driven past my house and around the block when I thought someone might be following me. It might seem over the top but a bit of peace of mind.

A military background probably has a bit to do with it lol.
    Never really thought about this from a firearms perspective but it’s something I am very conscious of when transporting my dirtbike. Very common for them to be followed to see where they are being stored. If anyone follows me off the main road down to my street when I have my bike on the back then I don’t turn into my property and pull over in a service station down the road. Have only done it once, whether it was necessary or not who knows but it definitely pays to have some situational awareness.
    Beetroot, Allizdog, XR500 and 1 others like this.