Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Oops...

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Perhaps not. It is mentioned that the rifle had a silencer attached.

Some air rifles have a ‘silencer’ attached.

Possibly the person claiming that rifle had a silencer attached is not gun-savvy enough to be qualified in making that claim.
    shooternz likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Most .22 air rifles these days have the facility for a suppressor to be bolted on, more than a few actually outstrip .22LR performance figures...

More info required before commenting to be fair.
    I wouldn't say there's many air guns that would outstrip a .22LR in terms of performance figures.

None that can be bought without a firearms licence anyway

Any .22 Air rifles, that could would have enough power would be getting into pre charged pneumatic specially dangerous category.

I was just doing some looking into the air rifle performance figures at the weekend.
    My .22 gamo Maxim air gun shoots a 1.05gram pellet about 710fps.
    Quick calculation rates it at just over 24 joules of kenetic energy
    Which is what most air guns in gamos catalog are rated at.

The most powerful .22 break barreled air rifle I've see for sale locally the Gamo Swarm Magnum, at 36 joules its no joke...

But let's do the math, and calculate the impact kenetic energy of a .22LR bullet in Joules = 1/2 Mass(kg) × Velocity2 (M/S) is your formula.
    So a 40 grain standard Velocity .22lr bullet at 1070FPS
    Converted and calculated is a 2.592 gram bullet at 326 metres per second = 137.73 joules

To match that a 1.05gram .22cal air gun pellet would need to travel at 512m/s or 1679 fps.
    If you can show me a break barreled air gun that can do those figures I'll be shocked, impressed and may need to go shopping..