Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Outdated question on the Police firearms test

Think im too dumb to get confused on this one
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

MB
    Are we supposed to be storing our bolts seperately? Wasn't an issue when I had my last check.

What about guns that don't have a removable bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Are we supposed to be storing our bolts seperately? Wasn't an issue when I had my last check.

What about guns that don't have a removable bolt?
    Unless it's changed, they recommend it.
    However the risk of losing a bolt is not worth it. A barreled action and stock is worth very little within a bolt.
    MB likes this.

A barreled action and stock is all the low lives will get out of my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    No, I disagree, because the question is

8. Before a firearm is stored away, which of the following should be done?

You cant put your firearm in the safe before you put it in your safe, it doesnt make sense.

My answer for this question would be B.
    Wrong.

Before the firearm is stored away, do A B and C.

Why C, imagine you are going to clean your firearm before you put it in the safe. You should ensure you do not leave it where it can be easily accessed by kids or thieves. Once you put it in the safe you don't need to worry about the kids and thieves.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Wrong.

Before the firearm is stored away, do A B and C.

Why C, imagine you are going to clean your firearm before you put it in the safe. You should ensure you do not leave it where it can be easily accessed by kids or thieves. Once you put it in the safe you don't need to worry about the kids and thieves.
    I agree that D is the correct answer (or at least correct in the eyes of the tester...) but Mr Browning does raise a point where the question specifically states "Before a firearm is stored" and "C" is the action of storing the firearm...Perhaps there should be an extra option

8. Before a firearm is stored away, which of the following should be done?

A- check there are no rounds in the chamber and magazine.

B- remove bolt and magazine (where possible) and store these separately.

C- secure the firearms against children and theft.

D- You should write a letter to the head of Police requesting that the person writing this should be taught proper English and a basic understanding of firearms...

E- all of the above

In which case E would be the correct answer...........
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

@Dead is better Perhaps the way to look at these questions is not "What is the correct answer?" but rather "What answer is the testing person wanting you to pick?" All three options are requirements so that would make D the answer they want. We have to assume that in this case, more than likely the person taking the test will more often than not, know more about the subject matter than the person who skips through ticking which answer you gave without looking at the question. They will mark it from a list of correct answers that will just be a list of letters.
    zimmer, Ranger 888 and mimms2 like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @Dead is better Perhaps the way to look at these questions is not "What is the correct answer?" but rather "What answer is the testing person wanting you to pick?" All three options are requirements so that would make D the answer they want. We have to assume that in this case, more than likely the person taking the test will more often than not, know more about the subject matter than the person who skips through ticking which answer you gave without looking at the question. They will mark it from a list of correct answers that will just be a list of letters.
    And that is the art of passing exams!
    zimmer and Kimber 7mm-08 like this.

I agree that D is the correct answer (or at least correct in the eyes of the tester...) but Mr Browning does raise a point where the question specifically states "Before a firearm is stored" and "C" is the action of storing the firearm...Perhaps there should be an extra option
    No, read my reply. C is specifically not the action of storing the firearm.

It is: C- secure the firearms against children and theft. (no mention of storing it)

D is the correct answer. The replies otherwise in this thread show people don't read the question and answers correctly.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    No, read my reply. C is specifically not the action of storing the firearm.

It is: C- secure the firearms against children and theft. (no mention of storing it)
    Question: How do you secure your firearm against children and theft without putting it in the safe.

Put it out of sight, lock the room you've got it in, put a trigger lock on it... all sorts of different things.
    Bagheera and Ranger 888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Question: How do you secure your firearm against children and theft without putting it in the safe.
    Leave the firearm out and put the children in the safe.
    ebf, Maca49, timattalon and 2 others like this.

It confuses me, cause I don’t have any kids around? More important to me is barrel up or down and how the shit do you lock the door with the scope sticking out?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

SiB
    As a broken-down ex-academic, writing multi-choice questions was always the most difficult.

The basic structure was supposed to be;
    One choice that was Very Wrong
    One choice that was Probably Wrong
    One choice that was Very Right
    One choice that was sort of, but not completely right

The “all of the above” option was generally regarded as a poor option as an answer choice, academically speaking.

Multi-choice questionnaires invariably cause confusion.

Evolving syntax and use of language again confuses what might have been a commonly understood meaning.

The bottom line? Those multi-choice questions in our FAL test might not be perfect, but it’s unlikely (even if rewritten) they’ll ever be perfect.

Objectively focussed questions test the candidates knowledge of the subject being assessed. Poorly written question can easily test the candidates English comprehension, or even IQ, which is not the focus in this instance
    erniec, Moa Hunter and MB like this.