Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Re applying for expired FAL

Let's see what the LPRP cavalry can do to speed things up![/QUOTE]

Sorry I don't share your optimism

They took a year to do an endorsement 2 years ago - I don't think that the blue gang have any interest in speeding anything up
    I think they are deliberately frustrating people to turn people off getting licensed

I'd like to be wrong and I don't understand why they are going hard on people who are lawful but that is the pattern I have seen

Also the Minister is as effective as a fart in a tornado
    Bol Tackshin and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    My mate & his wife from Wales moved over to NZ a few years back where he obtained his NZ FAL but later moved back to Wales due to a work offer his wife couldn’t refuse so they now spend half there time between Wales & NZ.

Before moving to NZ he had to give up his UK FAL but once back he reapplied and obtained it.

Since being back in Wales his NZ FAL came up for renewal.

While looking at reapplying for his NZ FAL he was told by authorities in Wales that he couldn’t have a FAL for both countries as he needs to be a ‘resident’ where he’s residing in the UK.

So if he got a NZ FAL it would effect his UK license

Speaking with the firearms officer in NZ, they told him to let his license expire to apply for a visitors license & bring his rifle over with him each time as he has a safe he can move from his daughters place etc.

So check to see if getting a NZ FAL will effect your UK FAL
    Too late now but did he have to declare he had a NZ FAL to the UK FAL authority?

Or was it because he’d taken firearms to the UK and had to produce his NZ FAL.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    My mate & his wife from Wales moved over to NZ a few years back where he obtained his NZ FAL but later moved back to Wales due to a work offer his wife couldn’t refuse so they now spend half there time between Wales & NZ.

Before moving to NZ he had to give up his UK FAL but once back he reapplied and obtained it.

Since being back in Wales his NZ FAL came up for renewal.

While looking at reapplying for his NZ FAL he was told by authorities in Wales that he couldn’t have a FAL for both countries as he needs to be a ‘resident’ where he’s residing in the UK.

So if he got a NZ FAL it would effect his UK license

Speaking with the firearms officer in NZ, they told him to let his license expire to apply for a visitors license & bring his rifle over with him each time as he has a safe he can move from his daughters place etc.

So check to see if getting a NZ FAL will effect your UK FAL
    How would the UK police know he has an NZ FAL? NZ police don't even data match with Australia and we all know how that turned out.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    For anybody else who is thinking about departing NZ for a stint overseas for work or something like that, DO NOT allow your licence to expire, thinking that when you get back you can simply re-apply.
    The best procedure is to Voluntarily Surrender the licence. The re-application process becomes a whole lot tidier and, in all probability, you will be re-issued with a licence that has the same number as the one you surrendered.
    Don't ask me how I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Too late now but did he have to declare he had a NZ FAL to the UK FAL authority?

Or was it because he’d taken firearms to the UK and had to produce his NZ FAL.
    He gave up his UK FAL when departing for NZ thinking the move was to be permanent.

When he went back he took his rifle that he bought here with him.

The rifle went to his local arms dealer who is a mate who kept it while he sorted out his license and that took 8-10 months!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    How would the UK police know he has an NZ FAL? NZ police don't even data match with Australia and we all know how that turned out.
    It might be a question on their forms or in person if you hold/have a FAL in another country or possibly through background checks.

The UK & NZ authorities main issue was which country are you mainly residing in as it can't be both!

He just found it easier to come into NZ on a visitors license as you can't do that in the UK!

My workmate applied for her license about a year ago and has recently just sat & passed her practical/theory test. She was told from this point it can take up to 18 months...

Also, when she was studying the arms code, police hadn't updated their website nor were the questions anything like what was in the actual test. Below is a screenshot of what my workmate forwarded me, it's been like this on police's website for over a year.

So they don't even want people getting the questions right or knowing what to study properly???

Name:  Web capture_13-6-2022_71745_www.police.govt.nz.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  174.9 KB

I'll be brutally honest if this is true, which it appears so - This is a F#@KING JOKE! Police are shameful pricks and an utter embarrassment to this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    My workmate applied for her license about a year ago and has recently just sat & passed her practical/theory test. She was told from this point it can take up to 18 months...

Also, when she was studying the arms code, police hadn't updated their website nor were the questions anything like what was in the actual test. Below is a screenshot of what my workmate forwarded me, it's been like this on police's website for over a year.

So they don't even want people getting the questions right or knowing what to study properly???

Attachment 199184

I'll be brutally honest if this is true, which it appears so - This is a F#@KING JOKE! Police are shameful pricks and an utter embarrassment to this country.
    Submitted a new firearm license application in January this year and sat the theory/practical test in March. I am pretty confident that the arms code quiz was there on the police site when I was doing my study.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post

Original post does not confirm that the applicant has been through the interview process, but quite likely has.
    Call me cynical if you like, but this seems to be the current situation.
    1) After waiting about 1 year, the applicant sat and passed the theory/practical test.
    2) To have got as far as the test, would it be reasonable to presume that plod had done their background checks and found that the applicant was, indeed, a candidate suitable for progressing to that stage?
    3) Having passed the theory/practical test(s), and presumably the background checks, to now be told that from this point it can take another 18 months is pure obfuscation.

Who is responsible for this debacle?
    It goes all the way to the top. Not just plod, or the Commissioner, nor even the Minister (who has been likened to being as good as a fart in a hurricane).
    No, I mean the top. Her with the pixy dust. It is she and her sycophants who are allowing this continued abuse of power.

I just applied for a renewal in May....my FAL expires next year.
    Was contacted today for an inspection/ interview next week. I don't see a problem.
    Last edited by johnd; 15-06-2022 at 07:16 PM.

Ombudsman, your local MP, send it complain government department that is not performing its civic duty!

Mind you they are awfully fast at handing out your personal details to anyone else
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Have contacted MP, Ombudsman, IPCA and Police Minister

IPCA keep trying to fob me off with weasel words, MP says letter received, Police Minister nothing at all and this from Ombudsman -

Complaint against the New Zealand Police
    I refer to your correspondence of 18 May, in which you raise a concern about the New Zealand
    Police (the Police). As I understand it, your concern relates to the delay in the processing of your
    application for a firearms licence by the Police. I note you have raised your concerns with the
    Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) already, as well as copying in the Minister of Police
    on your correspondence to this Office.
    Under the Ombudsmen Act 1975 (OA), the Chief Ombudsman has the authority to investigate
    complaints about the specific administrative actions and decisions of the central and local
    government agencies that are listed in the Schedule to the OA.
    Neither the Police nor the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) are subject to the
    Ombudsmen Act
    . I acknowledge your frustration with the lengthiness of the Police process, and
    the expected time before your IPCA complaint is assessed. Unfortunately, this Office is unable to
    assist you with your concerns about either agency.
    I appreciate this is not the outcome you were hoping for.

Not much use trying that one

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I just applied for a renewal in May....my FAL expires next year.
    Was contacted today for an inspection/ interview next week. I don't see a problem.
    All my docs went to police on 11 Jan and I'm still waiting for that call. I don't understand how some people breeze through and others get held up forever. It's a bit of a lottery it would seem.