Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: A reflection and a reminder - Unsafe act

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    @caberslash
    “This person sounds like a fuckwit.
    Situation might be reversible for them with a lot of hard work and common sense but that's not your prerogative.”

“As long as the ducks were shot in the sky, what's the issue?”

Who sounds like a fuckwit? Consider your FIRING ZONE.
    Clearly you've never been to a driven game shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    This person sounds like a fuckwit.

Situation might be reversible for them with a lot of hard work and common sense but that's not your prerogative.

that was my immediate response too, sounds like someone that finds out all the things they shouldnt be doing the wrong way
    Liabilities, ones that bring police into your life are best told to fuck off and not come back
    Synthetic and caberslash like this.

Twice actually, doesn’t spin my wheels, don’t see the relevance of the question.
    Having survived being shot 5 times, 3 by shotgun, I have a somewhat jaundiced view of people who don’t observe firearms safety rules.
    Micky Duck, Synthetic and Finnwolf like this.

Well done on the honesty for this thread, ive taken someone hunting in the same scenario, constant hassle to make sure there doing it right....He's a FAL owner now
    Micky Duck, woods223 and Synthetic like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Twice actually, doesn’t spin my wheels, don’t see the relevance of the question.
    Having survived being shot 5 times, 3 by shotgun, I have a somewhat jaundiced view of people who don’t observe firearms safety rules.
    "Having survived being shot 5 times, 3 by shotgun".....jesssssus your keen.......
    Bill999, Micky Duck and Synthetic like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

jesus mate whats Marlborough coming to these days

Can’t say I’ve ever enjoyed the experience and still carry a bit of lead, makes for interesting x-rays. I guess hunting brings out the dumb-fuck in some people.
    Scouser and caberslash like this.

had it happen once -head of party called off shoot immediately due to the arsehole not listening and us staring down a loaded .22 waving about .Wee prick whinged and whined till another mate took him out on a spotlight trip on possums .
    Ethics -the hua had none laughing his fucking head off as a spineshot possum dragged itself up the road till i managed to leap off the truck and put it out of its misery .I told that prick he should have been shot into the pisspot and pushed under the bed and i didnt want him within cooee of me ever ever again.
    He got a little aggro till my mate quietly told him to unload his rifle and put it away or it would go up his arse(probably the safest place).

My 13yr tf army career certainly reinforced fire arm safety and i still follow it today. highlight of fu bars -an slr round hitting gravel right in front of my boots as the private (whose rifle was"unloaded) was charged by an extremely angry airborne platoon commander whod been hit by flying gravel.

sneakywaza I got
    This one time on a Wallaby drive..... Mate bought his friend with him and asked if he (his friend) could use my shotgun, then put the prick between us in the line. Hopper busted in front of us and ran (ok, hopped) between us to bugger off behind us, prick swung the shotgun though, not over the line and stopped when he saw me, amazing how big the hole in the end looks when it is pointed at you from about 3 meters, eyes wide open on stalks and finger in trigger..... I dived into the deck and rolled behind a clump of tussock ( like that was going to help but you know......) somehow he didn't shoot me. I had a lot to say to my mate and made him take his friend to the other end of the line. Turned out he had no familiarity with guns. His first "kill" would have been human.
    Micky Duck likes this.

This thread has been quite an interesting read, it never hurts to be reminded of the importance of safety when using firearms, and it’s important to have the confidence to call out sloppy behaviour too and not just do the kiwi thing of biting ones tongue.

When taking new people out it can be surprisingly easy for things like that to happen.

One thing I find works well is to have them read the arms code (or at least the seven basic rules and their explanations) prior to going in the field.
    Whether or not someone is or isn’t keen to do their homework helps to screen out the ones that are all talk and no walk.

It doesn’t circumvent the need to still keep an eye on them and supervise, but it does help to set a tone of safety first and saves a lot of explaining in the field. They also tend to ask better questions having done some reading.
    Micky Duck and Synthetic like this.

Seen a lot of what you guys are talking about, including being shot at - and I'm not exactly innocent when it comes to a quick 'identifying' peek through the scope - and I imagine there ain't too many who haven't done that. And that despite me carrying little Nikon's around my neck - I already got the gun in my hands, a quick up and look - it's an entirely natural thing to do.

I've also seen a mate pick up an empty gun and put a shot through the chimney pot down the road - we become casual with something we do all the time - I was out chainsawing with bare feet yesterday - would never have done that years ago. I'll do that again because I got away with it last time.

I've known three people shoot themselves, one through the chest with a .303, he survived too - all of them did, and they were never quite so casual with a gun after that.

I've seen some pretty bad behaviour down the range too, nothing evil - more just dumb arsed carelessness and have wondered what these people are thinking - it's obviously how they act all the time with guns - bit scary.

For years now I've reckoned 'gun owners' need to to spend time every year down the NZDA range (or equivalent) doing supervised 'safety training' - or similar. I'm sharing the bush with these people and I want them to be less casual than I am with a gun.
    7mmwsm, rugerman and woods223 like this.

Or they need a bad fright like I got when I was younger - nearly pulled the trigger on a bloke .................... and it still haunts me.
    7mmwsm likes this.

I deliberately got binos that had a higher magnification than my scope to avoid this issue. It won't work for the long distance folks but it does for me. It was this consideration that made the choice about the 8x or 10x binos

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Me too.
    And it makes me shudder when people are adamant they would never mistake a person for an animal.
    I have issues with one Pistol NZ range rule.
    At the end of your even, the RO states show clear. Once they have inspected the firearm you release the slide and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. And then box or holster your firearm.
    I was alway taught an open action is safe (slam fires excepted) and feel very uncomfortable stowing a firearm with a closed action.
    I guess the rules cater for those whose box or holster won’t accommodate a pistol with the slide locked back?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I have issues with one Pistol NZ range rule.
    At the end of your event, the RO states show clear. Once they have inspected the firearm you release the slide and drop the hammer on an empty chamber. And then box or holster your firearm.
    I was always taught an open action is safe (slam fires excepted) and feel very uncomfortable stowing a firearm with a closed action.
    Without knowing the intricacies, or the history, of this rule, I’ll attempt to put my interpretation on it.
    Unload and Show Clear’, means exactly that.
    The magazine is removed or cylinder emptied of all rounds, the slide (in the case of a semi’) is retracted to show that the breech is empty/clear, the slide/cylinder is closed and the hammer dropped onto an empty chamber.
    The pistol is then holstered or boxed. It is now known to be safe.
    BTW, if it is being suggested that an open action is safe, how does one holster or box a revolver with the cylinder swing out?

AT NO TIME can that pistol now have ANY cartridge (including “snap-cap/s) inserted into the cylinder, or magazine loaded into the pistol, until the R.O. instructs ‘LOAD’. When that happens, the pistol may not be pointed anywhere other than "down range", ergo. it is safe to do so.
    308 likes this.