Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Richochet!!

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Speed in the quoted post is 900 Metres per second unless he made a typo. That is 2900fps or thereabouts....
    No typo. I had (but currently cannot find ....??) a very detailed report from trials done in the USA on AR500 plate damage done with various caliber and projectile design.
    The conclusion was that the caliber and bullet design had little to do with the level of plate damage, it was all about speed. They discovered that a .223 with a 50gr PSP projectile traveling at over 3,200fps was more damaging to the surface of the target than the likes of a 140gr .308 doing 2,700fps. The most damage from what they tested on the day was a .22-250 with 50gr doing 3,700's fps.
    Only exception to this was larger caliber, heavy round nose projectiles that dented the plate rather than cratered it as the high speed projectiles did.

So, rule of thumb, don't let anyone shoot at your AR500 plate with anything with a MV above 3,000fps (900m/s round figures).
    Maca49 likes this.

When shooting pure lead projectiles at 1000 + FPS , nobody uses metres? Suppose dressmakers among us would use CMs?
    Splatter of the projectiles sometimes sees small fragments of lead slowly coming back, you can watch them. They usually do not get back 50 metres unles in a high convolute. Heavy plates do not swing and are hard to see the hit on for old broken buggers like use, they don't seem to ring like with jacketed projectiles.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

So it wasn't me missing all those ducks then, it was the shot ricocheting.
    I knew I wasn't that bad of a shot.
    Dundee likes this.