Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Safety Colours

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    OH DAMN!!!!! I thought it would attract you dougie
    This might do it for you Baldbob

Name:  387125_407957795924093_43691996_n.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  81.5 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Dundee, did you go into town??
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

No,the sportshop emailed.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Banned
    just got the whaa one! she loves it.and me two!.

Also available for the kiddies in size half and 2
    Name:  601631_407957115924161_1056382531_n.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  131.9 KB
    CFD

Is that pink on the left? I have the boys 12 year old size top-to-toe packs from Ridgeline
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Are you coloured blindYes thats what they call pink

Suggest you better get the girls pack now Dougie
    CFD

I'm not really a pink kinda girl but I have to admit that those look pretty cool! I'll show the other half and drop a hint.

I said, "Stoney Creek have these new pink camo tops. I like it, they actually look cool! I'd wear that!"

*turns laptop to hubby*

"Hermm." Promptly goes back to his online game of poker.

lol I don't think I' getting one for my birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    At the end of the day it wont matter what you are wearing if they dont identify there target.
    Exactly right.

There is no doubt that clean Blaze Orange stands out and is one of the easiest colours to to see in most light conditions.

Does that aid in identifying your target, i.e. distinguish person from deer? Maybe.

Will it make you less likely to be shot, in circumstances of target misidentification? No definitive evidence for or against, in NZ bush conditions, as yet.

Reference: Green, J. & Boyes, M.A. (2006). Deer hunting in New Zealand: Safety lessons from the field. New Zealand Journal of Outdoor Education, 1(6) 34-49. (This paper has been reprinted in booklet format by the NZ Police for issuing to firearms users).

I am going to ask for permission to have a copy of this article posted in this section as a resource. I don't think there will be an issue, but just want to check with the author first.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I said, "Stoney Creek have these new pink camo tops. I like it, they actually look cool! I'd wear that!"

*turns laptop to hubby*

"Hermm." Promptly goes back to his online game of poker.

lol I don't think I' getting one for my birthday!
    Is he on pokerstars??? Whats his handle if so I will keep an eye out. if hes a copper he probably plays playmoney eh?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Beware of statistics, they are often meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    There is a article in a mag round here on blaze, facts are your 80% less likely to be killed wearing blaze. and virtually 0 chance of being shot by a bowhunter because they have to identify which part of a animal they are shooting at just as a rifle hunter does but some rifle hunters are happy to shoot at hindquarters or any part of the animal
    I read the article about the 80%. The 80% statistic is not a relevant statistic. It doesn't mean you are 80% less likely to be shot by wearing blaze orange. It just supports the fact that of the people mistakenly shot in the past, less were wearing blaze orange. That fact on its own is meaningless and does not correlate to less deaths because of wearing blaze.

I will explain in full later, as it is late and I am tired. Also I will need to look the exact numbers used in that article.

For now, consider this: There is 100 hunters hunting. 1 wears Blaze and 99 don't. 1 hunter wearing blaze and 1 hunter not wearing blaze get shot. 100% of hunters wearing blaze were shot, and essentially only 1% of hunters not wearing blaze were shot. Is it correct to conclude from the above events that you have a 100% chance of being shoot if you wear blaze? Of-course not. In the past less people wore blaze, so even if the risk of getting shot was the same, less people in blaze would be shot.

The only way to show if wearing blaze makes you less likely to be shot is to know not only what those who were shot were wearing, but also what those who were not shot were wearing.

PS: In the roar on public land I wear blaze. It helps people to see me and thus lets other hunters know were I am. Will it completely prevent another hunter from mistaking me for a deer, NO. Will it help to prevent another hunter from mistaking me for a deer, well maybe. The most helpful part would be that I stood out when he/she did not think they saw a deer. They would see me, come say hello, and we then we would arrange to hunt separate areas.

I am still not convinced that if proven target identification measures are followed, that blaze would be any better than no blaze. Blaze is no substitute for poor target identification. It will help you to be seen, yes, but that won't mean it will stop you from being shot by mistake, especially when you are not identified correctly.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Dundee, did you go into town??
    Went today Dougie all that pink gear sold out
    CFD

Banned
    did you go to our whare? if not i can get you one brotanga.

Banned
    Ha ha you get donks that are on steroids when you play gay money.I spent 12 hrs qualifying from one tourney after another on 888 got to the main tourney and passed out, played real money for years just took over my life for a while.I still enjoy the odd heads up with mates.