Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree325Likes

Thread: Support for tighter Acat storage

Quote Originally Posted by inglishill View Post
    How about, and it seems really simple, to buy e-cat parts you need an e-cat licence, like the bloke said.
    The issue with this is you would no longer be able to buy these attachments for Acat firearms that use them such as bolt/pump actions. I'm sure something can be done about this though as I mentioned in an above post.

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    There is no middle ground and you can all kiss your legal semi autos goodbye in the not so distant future. Fact.
    Show me the proof to your "fact"

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is something that would be hard to monitor due to people owning rifles compatible with higher capacity magazines such as the Ruger Precision Rifle and Troy pump action AR, But I'm sure some of the guys here could come up with solutions. One could be only being able to purchase the higher capacity magazine if you present proof of owning an Acat firearms that uses them, and then only being able to on sell them to people who hold E or a bolt/pump acat. So basically adding a permit to procure to high (normal >.> ) capacity magazines.
    More rules for someone who is going to break them anyway, do nothing. You'll have magazines serialised? And then ammo? No.

Please don't come at us with the usual..... and "they need to make longer sentences", because we need to do our part as well to protect our sport and future.
    Why not? I see the useless sentences handed down as one of the prime reasons people continue to break the bloody law, be it burglary, theft, assault etc etc etc. There is no deterrent. There has to be a deterrent or the law is useless.

https://www.counter-currents.com/201...nce-is-golden/
    veitnamcam, tetawa, mikee and 2 others like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

The issue with this is you would no longer be able to buy these attachments for Acat firearms that use them such as bolt/pump actions. I'm sure something can be done about this though as I mentioned in an above post.

How many bolt/pump guns use 30rd mags? Pick specific parts that make an e-cat an e-cat and apply said theory. Free standing pistol grip, it is only e-cat right, well, show an e-cat licence to buy it.
    Dublin likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Yes and where does it stop. With the cordless gear with the high tech cutting discs available it doesn't take much to open the average gun safe. There needs to be a strong deterrent for the offenders.
    Where can I buy some of these 'high tech' cutting discs? They sound good

No free standing pistol grip is only E cat for semi autos. You can have a free standing pistol grip on a bolt action and it is not E cat. Just shows you how stupid the current law is. Drafted by people who had no understanding of firearms.
    gadgetman, tetawa, Tommy and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Why not? I see the useless sentences handed down as one of the prime reasons people continue to break the bloody law, be it burglary, theft, assault etc etc etc. There is no deterrent. There has to be a deterrent or the law is useless.

https://www.counter-currents.com/201...nce-is-golden/
    I only said this because its been said many times before and we all know it needs to happen, so I figured this thread could be for new ideas and opinions.

How about, and it seems really simple, to buy e-cat parts you need an e-cat licence, like the bloke said.
    Trouble is the 308 10 round mag in my rifle is A-cat but will fit into a Ar10 308 makes it E-cat, so how do we determine when a part is A or E-cat?
    Deetleaves and inglishill like this.

How many bolt/pump guns use 30rd mags? Pick specific parts that make an e-cat an e-cat and apply said theory. Free standing pistol grip, it is only e-cat right, well, show an e-cat licence to buy it.
    There's actually a lot of rifles and shotguns in A category format that will remain Acat if adjustable stock and free standing grips are attached.

Just to name a few

Ruger Precision Rifle (and the many new rifles like this that are being released by every manufacturer)
    Troy pump action AR
    Nearly every pump action shotgun that has a conversion kit to accept grips/stock etc.

There's actually a lot of rifles and shotguns in A category format that will remain Acat if adjustable stock and free standing grips are attached.

Just to name a few

Ruger Precision Rifle (and the many new rifles like this that are being released by every manufacturer)
    Troy pump action AR
    Nearly every pump action shotgun that has a conversion kit to accept grips/stock etc.
    Yes I believe that has been covered by a few members now.

I think if minimum security was increased to a minimum 2mm thick Steel safe it may it a bit harder to steel guns after all a padlock through eyebolt or chain around the hot water cylinder will stop a burglar with bolter cutters for about 3 seconds
    And 2mm safes are blimmin cheap as chips anyway
    Dublin likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    My understanding is that currently there are no standards for A cat security - it is up to the local AOL to decide what is suitable. I have also heard from several sources that this is about to change. The letter that came with my FAL renewal notice said the recommended security was a 3mm safe (note it said recommended, not minimum).
    The vetter who came round and inspected my security didn't like my locking rack (though it has defeated a burgler twice before). He preferred the firearms be stored in the safe I had recently bought and dynabolted to the concrete floor and coach screwed to the wall studs, but said keeping bolts and ammo in the internal locked compartment was no good, as does not count as stored separately (someone takes the safe they have everything).

I only said this because its been said many times before and we all know it needs to happen, so I figured this thread could be for new ideas and opinions.
    Yup, so the answer is obvious, but another more flowery option with more details and regulations must be it. I appreciate that you believe that there's a magic box that hasn't yet been ticked, but the simple answer is: Punish the people who break the law, not those who aren't
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Guys I just mentioned ar15/ak as a reference since they're the most pronounced, and obviously things like rimfire and shotguns would be exempt in this. However keep the suggestions and ideas coming as it is good to get a wider perspective.
    Why would you exempt .22's and Shotguns? They are statistically the most commonly criminally mis-used firearms. What would you achieve by making all semi autos E category, when they are barely used in any crime at all?

I think increasing security is OK, it will help reduce some of the opportunistic thefts. But if they relay want them and are prepared there is only so much you can realistically do.

All the rest is just a slippery slope of miss trust in licensed firearm owners that eventually leads to prohibition.