Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Transporting Ammuntion

Your ammo doesn't need to be in a locked box in your car.

It's not ambiguous, it's stated plainly.

If you have a lockable glovebox or similar compartment in your car, then you put it in there. The console would be a similar storage area. If you dont have a lockable compartment, just keep it separate from the rifle and out of sight.

The emphasis is that it should be out of sight. (And if you put it in a locked ammo box or something like that, a thief would just steal the box.)

Just to be clear: If you put your rifle in the boot of your car, take the bolt out, and put the bolt and the ammo in the glove box of your car, (lockable or not) then you are following the rules perfectly.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 10-10-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    timattalon, r87mm and Porter83 like this.

Banned
    The new regs do cover provisions for leaving your vehicle with firearms in it, this was never permitted in the past. It is at the point of leaving the vehicle that we need to use some common sense - that being ' if the firearms and ammo have to be stored in a safe or on a locked frame at home then a similar form of security needs to be employed when leaving firearms in an unattended vehicle'.

As said further up, this only applies if you leave the vehicle unattended. As long as you are in the vehicle and driving ,none of the above apply.

( paragraph 2b from memory).

Things have certainly changed from the days when I left the under-over on top of the seat back of the old pickup outside the pub!!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

You can lock a standard metal ammo box with a long shank padlock like this.
    Name:  20221010_190216.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  4.43 MB
    Name:  20221010_190137.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  2.44 MB
    rewa likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    As said further up, this only applies if you leave the vehicle unattended. As long as you are in the vehicle and driving ,none of the above apply.

( paragraph 2b from memory).
    That's incorrect. The exception is if you are on a farm etc actively hunting, AND are with the vehicle.
    The regulations say:
    (2) Subclause (1) does not apply to a firearms licence holder if—
    (a)
    the holder is using a vehicle on a farm and undertaking farm-related activities, or is actively engaged in legally authorised hunting or wild animal pest control on farmland, public land, or land used for an agricultural, a horticultural, or a silviculture business on which they are permitted to use firearms; and
    (b)
    the licence holder is in the vehicle with the firearms or in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle in which the firearms are located.

Tha "and " at the end of 2(a) is the important bit, that means the conditions of both (a) and (b) must be met for the exception to apply. So if you are on a public road etc the requirements do apply, even if you are with the vehicle at all times.
    Hutch, landy and Eat Meater like this.

Ok, I stand corrected.

Standard ammo box, with a padlock glued and set up so it’s easy to lock and unlock. I used gorilla glue, but no more nails whatever would do, as long as it sets hard and can hold the padlock in place.
    Pictures to come.

I use a petty cash box, from Mitre 10 that is lockable.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Standard ammo box, with a padlock glued and set up so it’s easy to lock and unlock. I used gorilla glue, but no more nails whatever would do, as long as it sets hard and can hold the padlock in place.
    Pictures to come.
    Name:  IMG_20221011_192727 (2).jpg
Views: 312
Size:  206.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20221011_192825.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  692.2 KB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    So guessing that you have a steel pin glued inside the box going through the Hasp ?. We just drilled a hole in the box and welded a pin on with a hole in it.
    Tried a keyed lock but now use a combo

Yep cut 4 mm plate steel used as a pin then heaps of glue.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    I like this type. https://www.amazon.com/Ammo-Hardware.../dp/B08XZ2B9FP
    There are lots of sources other than amazon - this link is just to show the arrangement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Just a thought, it seems some are going to the trouble of locking their ammunition in a box while travelling in their vehicle, to me this is just as futile as having ammunition sitting in your vehicle, just as easy to grab the locked box as the ammo not in a locked box, possibly easier in the locked box as most of them seem to have handles.

Or are people going to the trouble of securing the locked box to the vehicle in some way
    Secured to the seat frame with a cable, using the same lock as locks the box shut - get a combination lock and you cant forget the key
    rewa and landy like this.

high tensile steel cablew looparound rear seat fittings bolted to wagon floor .padlocked length of steel chain goes onto my ammo box when placed in truck .when home ammo box removed padlocked to hi tensile piece of chain by safe for security.also means Idont shag round when off after ducks /geese as I know exactly whats in the box .other boxes are same. In terms of being pulled over by boys in blue Imnot that fazed .just concerns me some seemingly have a tinge of attitude problem and Idont want to give anything to fuel thaTammo transport ...security ..hmmm let me think..........
    Moa Hunter likes this.