Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 1 Post By 30.06king

Thread: US citizen importing a firearm

US citizen importing a firearm

I知 a US citizen coming over next may to hunt tahr. I知 looking on NZ police website and I知 seeing the visitors firearms license and an import permit. I heard someone say that you needed a sponsor, but I知 not seeing that on the police website. Is that still a requirement to import a rifle? And if so what would be the best way to go about that?

I think the key points would be the requirement to prove that you are "fit and proper" this would likely require a sponsor to vouch for character and having similar laws in your home state in relation to possession of firearms. If the only requirement in your state to own a firearm is an age limit I could see that being a problem. This is just my interpretation though. I imagine it would be far easier to just use a guiding outfit and one of their provided firearms. here's a link to read further.

https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....it-new-zealand

The guide suggestion is not a silly one. Especially when chasing Thar...local knowledge of an area can help with a lot. It wont need to be a professional guide unless that is what you decide...a local hunter or hunters after another member to the group could also work.

For overseas visitors, we may not have the dangerous animals like snakes , bears etc that are found in their home country, but the enviorment itself can be every bit as dangerous....You may well already be experienced and knowledgable in this aspect, but it is certainly something to take into account. This is where local knowledge can also come into its own...

You may find the hassle of bringing a firearm with you rather complicated and full of paper work. It may be easier to visitors licnese / permit and source one here....though in todays climate that may prove awkward as well...

I am not saying you cannot fdo what you are looking at. In fact I expect many have done similar things before, but I am saying there may be an easier way..
    ElDax likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by bascott1 View Post
    I’m a US citizen coming over next may to hunt tahr. I’m looking on NZ police website and I’m seeing the visitors firearms license and an import permit. I heard someone say that you needed a sponsor, but I’m not seeing that on the police website. Is that still a requirement to import a rifle? And if so what would be the best way to go about that?
    The Firearms Safety Authority ( Te Tare Pureke ) now handles everything firearm related in New Zealand. This is a division of the NZ Police dedicated to firearms management. What info may or may not remain on the actual NZ Police website is likely irrelevant now.
    If the info you find on the Firearms Safety Authority website is unclear you're probably best to email them and ask for links to ALL application info you need to bring your own firearm. Also, I would suggest requesting specific info on whether a sponsor is still required. That used to be a condition but I'm unsure if it remains so.
    I'm pretty sure many visiting hunters are still bringing their own firearms and I can't see any reason why you shouldn't at least be eligible to apply. New regulations have come into effect here recently and I'm not entirely sure of all requirements now.
    Finnwolf likes this.

See this link - https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....s-licence#info

It states you need to provide:
    details of a current New Zealand firearms licence holder with whom you will store firearms and ammunition: their firearms licence number and name, address, and email address.

Yeah, I saw where some sporting goods stores volunteered to store their rifle and ammo.

That is my main concern with hunting over there. The terrain is down right dangerous looking.

That is my main concern with hunting over there. The terrain is down right dangerous looking.
    It is amazing out there. I have lived here for over 50 years and I am still amazed atthe sights we can find here.....I am sure you will have a great time.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Yeah, I saw where some sporting goods stores volunteered to store their rifle and ammo.
    If you can ring them and see if they will hire one out. I'm going to talk to my man in south canterbury if he would look after my rifle and lease it out. There was a thread here the other day re hiring as it's getting complicated to even transport rifles in cars and also between the north and south islands. There was a public shooting here this morning so I'd say they will screw the laws down even tighter.