Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Finnwolf
  • 3 Post By Finnwolf
  • 1 Post By HG Man
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf
  • 2 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By viper

Thread: USA experience re registration

USA experience re registration

Just back from USA, visited a gun shop or two.

It seems there’s pretty tight registration when buying from a gun shop who are audited in depth by the ATF auditors.
    There’s a four page (double sided) form that has to be filled in with meticulous accuracy.

The selling/buying by private individuals is not scrutinized any any way that I can see although a form is available for owners to register their firearms for insurance purposes etc.
    Bol Tackshin and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Name:  IMG_7186.jpeg
Views: 456
Size:  444.6 KB

And all those forms go off to be stored in a warehouse and never checked. Waste of time.

They don't even scan them into a computer, something something well regulated militia and infringement..
    norsk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    And all those forms go off to be stored in a warehouse and never checked. Waste of time.

They don't even scan them into a computer, something something well regulated militia and infringement..
    Name:  IMG_6120.jpeg
Views: 436
Size:  2.17 MB

These are the folders that store the filled in forms that the gun store has to retain for ATF auditors.
    Gun store now going to its own on line forms.
    Micky Duck likes this.

FFS!!! They want your weight

What a load of completely unnecessary information they require. Name, dob and SS number would have you identified beyond all doubt I would have thought

They use these to complete the fbi background check. I was rejected a few times when living over there and not meeting the requirements...

Interesting that its an option to complete the form as a non-US citizen. I had assumed that wasn't even an option unless you had some sort of residency permit or such? @Dicko how long were you living there? Did you have some kind of work permit?

USA experience re registration

Yes, had a visa to live and work. 5 years. However you had to be in country for 8 or 9 consecutive months to be able to purchase. Go back to Oz or out of country on work, clock restarted.

However you could go and purchase at a gun show and bypass fbi check as only applied to gun dealers and not private sales I believe.
    -BW- and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    FFS!!! They want your weight

What a load of completely unnecessary information they require. Name, dob and SS number would have you identified beyond all doubt I would have thought
    Especially seeing as the gender option is open.....they could self identify as gender thin and light.....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

This is NOT a registration form , it is what they refer to as a 4473 . Do not in your wildest dream use the word "Registration " it would cause a mass episode of Emphysema , it is just to verify identity and there are a lot of people with the same name & birth date etc .
    There are a lot of instances of Federal and local authorities trying to use them for a purpose they were not intended for causing a lot of problems .

We had visitors from the states a few months back, nice guy but very 4th amendment mentality. He was gob smacked at our lack of rights, however he was at the same time fascinated with our system. He had never used a firearm with a suppressor.
    I took him rabbit shooting and he got a total buzz using suppressed .22.
    He was interesting to talk to. He buys raw gun parts like AR receivers that because they are unfinished they have no serial number.
    He has a small mill in his garage and completes the milling and builds an AR.
    He calls them Ghost guns because there is no record of them, reckons there's millions of them in the states.
    csmiffy likes this.