Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree812Likes

Thread: Useing the firearms register

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered but tried to register on my phone, and have spoken to them on the phone but they can’t tell me what to do with my blaser r93s.

They say for switch barrels register the calibre that is on the gun at the time, but the serial numbers are on each barrel rather than the rifle. The kicker is my custom barrel doesn’t have a serial number on it, but the factory ones do.

Thoughts on what to do? Worried if I register the barrel and I get pulled up with a different barrel they won’t be happy.

Or do I register each barrel as its own firearm?
    I just registered my barrels, my receiver doesn't have a serial number. The whole registration process was real easy, which was a bit of a surprize.
    BRADS likes this.

I wonder what happens IF you just send them the spreadsheet of all your firearms and needed details .

Someone must have pulled that stunt

Yes - I know it is on-line or telehone only - BUT - they will have received the information - which they cannot deny.

If you plan to sell any firearms I suggest its useful to validate your account to monitor what the Register thinks you have.

I registered recently so that I could sell a rifle. Did the rego and validation so I could see them all there. Gave one rifle to a shop to sell on behalf, and was told they would 'pull it over' from my account to theirs. Rifle sold, I got paid and I went and had another look at the register and saw it was still registered to me.... this about 3 weeks after sale. Had a closer look at the register and couldn't find any function that allowed me to advise of the sale. Gave them a call and was told that if a disposal is via a registered dealer then the seller didn't have to do anything 'cos the dealer was supposed to do it all. If disposal was 'peer to peer' then that has to be notified by phone call.... no functionality on the website to do that . WTF??

Polite lady at the Register said they would follow up with dealer, and seemed perturbed that sale was ~ 3 weeks ago, rather than a couple of days. I expect the dealer got a call. I'd have thought the new owner would have registered it by now (even if the dealer hadn't run it through his account) , and if the Register works an alert would have been thrown up about 2 of us having that rifle in our possession?

So nothing to be encouraged about at all, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    If you plan to sell any firearms I suggest its useful to validate your account to monitor what the Register thinks you have.

I registered recently so that I could sell a rifle. Did the rego and validation so I could see them all there. Gave one rifle to a shop to sell on behalf, and was told they would 'pull it over' from my account to theirs. Rifle sold, I got paid and I went and had another look at the register and saw it was still registered to me.... this about 3 weeks after sale. Had a closer look at the register and couldn't find any function that allowed me to advise of the sale. Gave them a call and was told that if a disposal is via a registered dealer then the seller didn't have to do anything 'cos the dealer was supposed to do it all. If disposal was 'peer to peer' then that has to be notified by phone call.... no functionality on the website to do that . WTF??

Polite lady at the Register said they would follow up with dealer, and seemed perturbed that sale was ~ 3 weeks ago, rather than a couple of days. I expect the dealer got a call. I'd have thought the new owner would have registered it by now (even if the dealer hadn't run it through his account) , and if the Register works an alert would have been thrown up about 2 of us having that rifle in our possession?

So nothing to be encouraged about at all, imo.
    I was told it doesn't come off your list until the dealer on sells it? Doesn't make any sence but that's what Gun City told me when I traded a rifle, and so did the person at the register.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

The Original Striker
    We had an informal Firearms Authority meeting though the local NZDA this week gone.
    Brought up the issues that people seem to be having in regards to the incapability's of the register and the people running it,
    What I found was a pretty apathetic response from both the Authority and Other register users, paraphrased" Ive had no trouble, you/they must be useless''

They had a large spiel in regards to physical safety, safe construction, mounting, location, security lights, alarms, cameras, etc
    but when information security from their end was brought up, police data breaches, govt data breaches etc, the response was, we don't want to loose our jobs, we would never copy or share data.

Also brought up of people being told to register items to the nearest closest item rather than the exact item.
    Illegal Ammo will be a thing of the past in 5years, Allegedly

Overall I'm rather pessimistic on the system and the use of it
    308, Micky Duck, matagouri and 2 others like this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    I didnt get a match to my FAL first time either. Turns out it is very sensitive to extra spaces, so check that when signing up.

Other than that, it was pretty straightforward. I did discover that my Zastava doesn't actually have anything that says Zastava - only a tiny proof mark. .
    That's lazy programming. It's very easy to stop extra spaces being an issue and to make the data case insensitive

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I was told it doesn't come off your list until the dealer on sells it? Doesn't make any sence but that's what Gun City told me when I traded a rifle, and so did the person at the register.

The dealer in question told me they had to transfer it to their ownership ( even when selling on behalf) as there was a prospect they would have it in their poseesion for more then 28 days. Seems they simply didn't do it.

And they had sold it, and I'd been paid which didnt happen straight away either. Swung past the shop and saw it wasnt there any longer, and that was ~ 10 days before I got paid.

Should also add that shop assistant A ( who I dealt with when I dropped the rifle off) said "You don't need to do anything, we will pull it off 'your' register onto ours". After being paid and noting it was still lodged against me I went back to the shop to enquire and assistant B said " No, both parties have to do it". So thats when I tried to do it, couldn't do anything online so got on the phone, and the rest you know ....

Nothing particularly remarkable about the people in the shop not being on their game, but the fact it is now sold but still registered to me suggests one of:

- the new owner has been slack and hasn't registered it, but I'd have thought the shop would have insisted?

- the new owner has registered it, but the system ( or the people involved) havent reacted to the same rifle being held by two different people contemporaneously.

Neither possible explanation fills me with confidence.
    Last edited by Maxx; 09-05-2024 at 07:34 PM.
    veitnamcam and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    The dealer in question told me they had to transfer it to their ownership ( even when selling on behalf) as there was a prospect they would have it in their poseesion for more then 28 days. Seems they simply didn't do it.

And they had sold it, and I'd been paid which didnt happen straight away either. Swung past the shop and saw it wasnt there any longer, and that was ~ 10 days before I got paid.

Should also add that shop assistant A ( who I dealt with when I dropped the rifle off) said "You don't need to do anything, we will pull it off 'your' register onto ours". After being paid and noting it was still lodged against me I went back to the shop to enquire and assistant B said " No, both parties have to do it". So thats when I tried to do it, couldn't do anything online so got on the phone, and the rest you know ....

Nothing particularly remarkable about the people in the shop not being on their game, but the fact it is now sold but still registered to me suggests one of:

- the new owner has been slack and hasn't registered it, but I'd have thought the shop would have insisted?

- the new owner has registered it, but the system ( or the people involved) havent reacted to the same rifle being held by two different people contemporaneously.

Neither possible explanation fills me with confidence.
    Yesh what a cluster fuck a
    If it's the new owners first purchase they have 30 days to do it so that might be the hold up?
    My understanding is it's nothing to do with the shop they just pass the details on to the firearm safety authority who send out the emails

Maxx likes this.

It looks like if you were ringing to register a gun you just bought of a gang member, they would happily register it with out asking where it came from and wether it was registered or not. I actually wonder when they register a gun, if an alarm bell or a notification comes on their screen to say that a gun is allready into the system….

Well I store a rifle for someone else and its registered to me, he being a newbie didn't know so also tried to register it, I got a phone call same day to see what was happening. So it seems they can do that stuff.
    Ben Waimata likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Well I store a rifle for someone else and its registered to me, he being a newbie didn't know so also tried to register it, I got a phone call same day to see what was happening. So it seems they can do that stuff.
    Yep, just what we are after .... inconsistent application of the rules.

Does anybody know how to find the "Firearms Reference ID table"?
    Its giving me 3 different options for my Howa 1500, No3, No4, No5...........

@John P See posts #638 & #644 in this thread

Numbers related to how many rounds the mag holds

And isn't that a load of bollocks too.
    Trying to make it incredibly specific to make it super easy but it doesn't.
    The KISS principle didn't apply.
    Should be Howa- yup, 1500? Yup, calibre- yup and serial number.
    They did the same thing in the great confiscation... sorry buyback.
    Made it stupid specific to make it easier to pay people and it was still not right
    MB likes this.