Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What's in your first aid kit?

What's in your first aid kit?

So while I waited for my FAL I decided to sit a first aid course to brush up. Had been several years since the last...
    Anyways I take my first aid kit out with me, and it's one I had set up for trail riding and dirt biking, but thinking I should probably set one up specifically for hunting.
    What is in your first aid kit that ISN'T included in a basic kit from the store?

Duct tape

MB
    The question should be what isn't in your first aid kit that is in a basic kit for the store? Reason? You have to carry it. That said, some people like to add Celox and tourniquets.

Nowadays - a PLB

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Nowadays - a PLB
    Yep, that's important

TQ, Israeli bandage, wound packing gauze, standard bandage for wrapping/strapping, pain relief (have some left over Tramadol). Medical/strapping tape (good for strapping ankles or covering blisters). Odds and ends like band aids and antihistamines.

I'd be super cautious of really strong pain relief like Tramadol in a bush type situation - in the wrong situation it could be very incapacitating or increase your risk of hypothermia etc.

Whatever you elect to carry in your first aid kit - you need to 1) be able to get to the kit, and easily get into it (have seen people that wrap their kits in armour plating so it doesn't get wet etc but no thought in how to get to it worst case one handed etc) and 2) when you do get into it do you know what's in each package?

The flash Israeli style bandages and fancy clot-promoting penetrating wound fillers are super effective and really good, but if you buy one consider buying two so you can open one up and practice and get familiar with it and leave it open to show others...
    BRADS likes this.

Glad wrap for burns. About 3 meters folded into a zip lock baggie. Camp cooking can be dangerous with wobbly little burners and pots with no handles...
    RV1 likes this.

chech out one of the numerous other threads on this one....
    a couple of panadol a couple of antihistimine and a roll of insulation tape.
    Ross Nolan and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

yes there was lots on a previous thread seemed many carry way to much
    MB and RV1 like this.

Jumpin on this thread to ask. For medications/pills etc - how do y'all carry them ? I have pill sheets in my med bag (panadol, water purification tablets, hayfever, ibuprofen etc etc) but I've found after several trips and being squeezed in my pack the foil gets ripped or damaged making the pills either loose or useless.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMax View Post
    Jumpin on this thread to ask. For medications/pills etc - how do y'all carry them ? I have pill sheets in my med bag (panadol, water purification tablets, hayfever, ibuprofen etc etc) but I've found after several trips and being squeezed in my pack the foil gets ripped or damaged making the pills either loose or useless.

Cheers
    I have 3-4 small baggies with a couple different pills in each. Codine, anti histamine etc. I keep the few baggies in a small pill container.
    If you take the meds out of their packaging you should definitely label them.
    Basenjiboy likes this.

Just some bloke
    Abdo pad/gauze/israeli bandage/TQ
    Strapping tape
    SAM splint
    Triangle bandages
    Antihistamines
    Paracetamol
    Ibuprofen
    PLB

Found this to be basic but will stop a serious bleed and splint a broken bone.
    Let's be honest, either you're walking out or you're not. No point lugging around a hospital.
    Bol Tackshin and MB like this.

MB
    Day trip:
    - Aquatabs
    - Paracetamol
    - Celecoxib
    - Codeine
    - Aspirin
    - Elastoplast
    - Dermabond
    - Emergency blanket
    - Compass (spare)
    - Torch/battery
    - PLB

Overnight trip:
    - As above
    - Dextrose tablets
    - Celox
    - Gauze
    - Betadine
    - Medical tape
    - Matches/firelighter/tinder

Aspirin is for suspected heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMax View Post

Cheers
    one small plastic pill container....about the size of your thumb
    Bol Tackshin and Basenjiboy like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters