Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: 12g to 20g

12g to 20g

Hey team,

I'm thinking of changing from my miroku mk70 u/o 12g to something in 20g.
    What's your thoughts? Pros and cons?
    Obviously I would sell my current shotgun, in no rush though. I was thinking about going back to a semi auto
    I don't think I'll be shooting this season, just had a new baby, so in no real rush to change.
    Cheers bevan

yeah nah...... you can easily buy light loads and make your .12ga lighter recoiling.... if its a good shotgun,you wont gain much by going to semi. gangbanging ducks is over rated.... the seasons I use U/O I shoot just as many birds and use less ammunition.
    308 and schwen like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

TLB
    I have a 12g miroku u/o, a 12g sxs, a semi 12 gauge and a 20 gauge.
    20 gauge is a nice little gun to cart around for sure and the steel I have tried has killed well enough.
    Lacks a bit of range on the 12g though but if you are shooting up close then that's no issue.
    Out of all of them I still use the u/o most of the time. Semi sits in the cupboard most of the season and the sxs is for pheasants and my son uses the 20g.
    Personally if I had to get rid of them and only keep one it would be the u/o for sure.

Buy some chamber adapters .I bought some 12..20gauge ones sent from the states like 100bucks to the door .that was about 5 years ago though

12g is generally cheaper to shoot and easier to buy ammo for.
    For example I spent last weekend trying to buy a slab of 20ga (it the only thing I use for hunting) and failed. Managed 4 boxes in end and not really what I wanted either
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    12g is generally cheaper to shoot and easier to buy ammo for.
    For example I spent last weekend trying to buy a slab of 20ga (it the only thing I use for hunting) and failed. Managed 4 boxes in end and not really what I wanted either
    Agree. Heaps cheaper. Perhaps get a 12g Lee classic loader and load light 28gram loads.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    No issues getting 20 ga ammo in the main centers......I hardly knew the 20 ga existed when I was a young man but as I get older I appreciate lighter guns and smaller cartridges more with each passing year.
    Um Nelson is hardly "the sticks"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Um Nelson is hardly "the sticks"
    I would say Tauranga is more of a main center than Nelson, yet it's getting harder to get a lot of things here now. Couriers are well supported, that's all I'll say on it and it's bloody near cheaper and more efficient to drive to Hamilton or wherever it is than pay courier tax and have it turn up 10 days later squashed. Still waiting for PBT to deliver something couriered from Rotorua - that's now getting onto 9 days 7 working and a weekend? That's not just sports gear that's affected by this too. Bloody hopeless really - as a business 'bricks and mortar' outfit, charging a higher price than an online only supplier only how the hell to you expect to make money if you don't offer the convenience factor of being able to drive 5 mins, pick it up and take it home. As the customer you're better off skipping the brick and mortar store fronts, save the fart arsing about and just order it online...

Broncos in Tauranga has always been good to deal with..