Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 28 guage

28 guage

wrong place to put it...but who cares???
    there is some winchester 3/4 oz trap loads on trademe now at $20 a box.......grab it quick for the hulls,or dump out the 9s and poke in something you want...either way it doesnt come up often and KNOW SOMEONE was looking for 28ga.
    tetawa and Smallfoot like this.

9.s perfect for quail over a pointing dog or any other close flushing situation
    Micky Duck likes this.

yip there is that...I know how hard it is to find ANY of these other shot gun loadings so when saw it.....went and posted here ASAP. hope its been useful to a sub guage user.

I have been shooting 28g a bit. Well its really all I use now. Currently in my 20ga via 28g inserts (fit more 28ga shells in my pocket and they have same payload as a 20ga trap load).

If i could find a nice 28g SXS or even a 20ga I would be home and hosed. I would have a proper gun to go with a proper dog

Ammo has been easier to find than 20ga steel and averages $20 a box from hunting and fishing or gun city for 24grm 8's
    I use a mixture of 6's or 8's depending

Has a twirl with a beretta 686 once but im really after a sxs...eventually. who knows jacinda might supply more convrsion bucks

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Browning still make their under/overs in 28 gauge.....they would likely be about the nicest somewhat affordable gun in that gauge still out there.
    Yep but they make them on a 20 gauge frame, this makes them heavier than a 20. So why would you unless you really love the 28, but still enjoy lugging a 7 lb shotgun about. My friend bought a citori 410 O/u the other day, and for a joke I told him it would be heavier than my 20, and that Brownings are just Miroku rejects that didnt pass the grade.
    He duly came round to show me his new rig and tada! 7lb something while the 20 is 6lb something moreover the barrels on his 410 fitted into my reciever and closed!
    Dont get me wrong I love 28's and used inserts for a number of years before getting a lively little 28, but I spent too much money and got pissed at myself everytime I dragged it through the scrub, or looked like getting a scratch on it.
    Pretty sure it weighed 5lb something as well, so there in is the difference. ( frame size)
    Micky Duck likes this.

hamsav that sounds like my single barrel Bakail 12ga.......I had to lend it out to relative because guys I hunt with get pissed with me not missing when I use it...
    hamsav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Yep but they make them on a 20 gauge frame, this makes them heavier than a 20. So why would you unless you really love the 28, but still enjoy lugging a 7 lb shotgun about. My friend bought a citori 410 O/u the other day, and for a joke I told him it would be heavier than my 20, and that Brownings are just Miroku rejects that didnt pass the grade.
    He duly came round to show me his new rig and tada! 7lb something while the 20 is 6lb something moreover the barrels on his 410 fitted into my reciever and closed!
    Dont get me wrong I love 28's and used inserts for a number of years before getting a lively little 28, but I spent too much money and got pissed at myself everytime I dragged it through the scrub, or looked like getting a scratch on it.
    Pretty sure it weighed 5lb something as well, so there in is the difference. ( frame size)
    And I am pretty sure I know where those inserts ended up
    johnd and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    And I am pretty sure I know where those inserts ended up
    I wondered that, as there cant be many sets about. I think it was very effective, maybe more so than the 28 itself when you read about them.

I think the thing about inserts is the shot has started to spread ,then touches larger barrel and is brought back in GENTLY.... the guts of load wouldnt be touched but outer bits will....410 in 12ga SHOULDNT work well...but at 20 yards it sure as heck does...possums up trees are more like 10 yards and it is deadly....

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I wondered that, as there cant be many sets about. I think it was very effective, maybe more so than the 28 itself when you read about them.
    I have used only them in my 687 20ga for the past 4 seasons. This year I am going to go back to 20g temporarilly as I am out of 28ga ammo (except 9's) which are a bit "iffy" on pheasants sadly.

if you find some shot its not too hard to tip out 9s and pour in 6s etc and do your best to recrimp..... break open guns will handle all sorts of ....... unusual goings on LOL.

no excuse.....put wrap of insulation tape around it...job done...had that on more than one shotgun over the years,old astra used to fall off if didnt.....can shoot very well with those ones too.... the winchester 410 I learnt to shoot with had two zippy ties around forend to keep it in place.....there was a 12ga version of that on here in 99% new condition for sale recently....surprised it took so long to sell....well not really,most folks have forgotton,or never learnt how good a single barrel is.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you find some shot its not too hard to tip out 9s and pour in 6s etc and do your best to recrimp..... break open guns will handle all sorts of ....... unusual goings on LOL.
    Can't be arsed faffing around, have a box of 20ga on the shelf so that will do, have more 28ga ammo on order.
    Micky Duck likes this.