Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Decent clay thrower <$1200?

Decent clay thrower <$1200?

The recent thread about "your own range" has got me thinking again about getting a decent clay thrower and setting it up where we do gongs etc on the farm, currently have one of the cheap one at a time manual jobbies that is OK for shooting a few clays off the lawn at home but I'd like to set up something that throws a decent distance/speed and isn't a chore to use. Anyone recommend something to fit the bill?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The promatic pigeon are tried and tested
    Marty Henry likes this.

used a manual one years ago mounted on a seat..sort of like a weightlifting bench....beauty of it was ability of fella chucking clays to tilt the hua either way to throw curveballs aross front of you... I had absolute ball trying out group of sporting shooters doing this,would throw doubles as well and chucking both sizes of clay at same time really tests shooter out.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    used a manual one years ago mounted on a seat..sort of like a weightlifting bench....beauty of it was ability of fella chucking clays to tilt the hua either way to throw curveballs aross front of you... I had absolute ball trying out group of sporting shooters doing this,would throw doubles as well and chucking both sizes of clay at same time really tests shooter out.
    yep have got a coup[le of the wee chinese jobbies,abnd boy have i had some fun with those over 15yrs.try chucking saucers out of them -clipped mates shin with it .used many times in crew shootsa ,teaching kin to shoot clays ,and pre season sharpen up shoots.the intial frame was too light so reinforced mounted on a base and a remote foot release fitted to my No1 machine .no 2 was brand new never been used as guy took it in part payment of a debt(IT WAS LYING INSHED FULLY BLOODY COCKED) but had no idea how it operated.Im tempted one day to get my son to weld up a platform for me to fire both simultaneously or in sequence. put her on the back of me truck and hey ho away we go!!

a lot of guys tiedown strop thos light ones onto a ute trye n rim....but its still a bend down to use thing....sitting on bench seat with lever infront of you is just soo much easier. LOL But Im remebering back 35 years LOL.

I've got one of those manual ones and it's OK but doesn't throw them anywhere near as fast or far or accurate as some of the better electric ones
    Name:  received_1624529844608393.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  607.4 KB
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

indeed but it hurts wallet less too LOL. mounted up higher makes them easier to use,possibly tiedown strop it onto picnic table??? the added height to begin with will give you more distance...changing where on slide you place clay matters too.

The Promatic Pigeon are great fun with the electric foot release, I had 1 from guncity to test for them & it was an easy way to blast through a box of clays & slab of ammo in a 5 shot semi auto with somebody holding the pedal down for rapid fire on the clay thrower. You will love it
    Micky Duck likes this.

Our little private group of shooters uses promatics. We have 11 or 12 from memory. Each one holds box or 2 of clays.
    They were not cheap but for the use they get they have been reliable and not maintenance intensive
    Micky Duck likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Da Browning View Post
    The Promatic Pigeon are great fun with the electric foot release, I had 1 from guncity to test for them & it was an easy way to blast through a box of clays & slab of ammo in a 5 shot semi auto with somebody holding the pedal down for rapid fire on the clay thrower. You will love it
    ive got the key fob for mine so i can walk about downrange and have the thrower throw at me, excellent fun...

where are you Ryan? you could swing by and look at mine if you like... i could also post some pics if anyones interested...
    Micky Duck and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vod Ka'nockers View Post
    ive got the key fob for mine so i can walk about downrange and have the thrower throw at me, excellent fun...

where are you Ryan? you could swing by and look at mine if you like... i could also post some pics if anyones interested...
    Conical Hill
    10! has 270 divisors

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Conical Hill
    thats only 50ish k from me...

Name:  clay 3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1.96 MB

Name:  clay 4.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.96 MB

Name:  clay 1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  2.91 MB

Name:  clay 2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  2.52 MB

i guess the grey tin shed is 50m away and the clays land just in front or on the roof...
    Micky Duck and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Ryan, I have one of these.
    Name:  C94675E4-AEC3-4E95-8E34-0B8CD4723733.jpeg
Views: 183
Size:  24.3 KB

It is simple to use (the over centre springs make cocking the thrower arms easy) and you can mix up the direction and elevation. I really like the idea of the electronic stack feeding throwers but I have been to a number of shoots where they have become a pain in the arse with broken clays jamming up the mechanism and that has put me off getting one.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sorry for this slight hijack....
    @Vod Ka'nockers thanks for the photos, brings back memories. I shot more than a few pigeons out of that implement shed as a kid, and ducks and eels from the creek below
    @Ryan_Songhurst what do you think of the 940? The 24" barrel ok for hunting? Is the really long mag extension replaceable? Or is it pinned some how?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Sorry for this slight hijack....
    @Vod Ka'nockers thanks for the photos, brings back memories. I shot more than a few pigeons out of that implement shed as a kid, and ducks and eels from the creek below
    @Ryan_Songhurst what do you think of the 940? The 24" barrel ok for hunting? Is the really long mag extension replaceable? Or is it pinned some how?
    To be honest I have not been a real shotgun fan in the past but the 940 is a pretty darn fun gun to shoot hence why I want to get into the clays etc a bit more. Very pointy and it cycles super slick and quick. You can remove the mag extension and just have it like a traditional sporting semi, the extension has a plug in it.
    Dama dama likes this.
    10! has 270 divisors