Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Drop at comb

Drop at comb

HI, anyone know of any cheap fixes for a low comb?

Slip on jobs or stick on, don't want to cut if for an adjustable comb until I see how it shoots?

There are a few options

Recoil Systems / Products / Comb Raiser

Leather Accessories - Accu-Riser Neoprene Cheek Pads #CP-5000S

A friend uses the bottom one one hers and it works well.

Got Robert Dollimore to adjust my stock and refinish it. Cost was very reasonable!

Dont get too tied up in the looks of what ever you use , it is there to serve a purpose . Cardboard , duct tape etc will work just fine and alow infinite adjustment , after all it is a temporary measure
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Piece of wetsuit material or similar glued to the comb will work
    Better still, get measured for fit and you will see if its an adjustment needing to be made

Bit of foam roll mat does the trick. What reason do you think you need to raise the comb? Put it on the pattern board. What discipline are you shooting?
    Wirehunt likes this.

On the pattern board I shoot low with it, tried it with foam and tape, patterns much higher, was looking for something that didn't make my gun look like a half unwrapped parcel
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

My gun was patterning 10-12 inches to the left and 8-10 inches higher than what is desirable (looking for 60/40 split above/below aiming point). It took 1/8th inch of adjustment to get it spot on.....the foam and tape method is likely to be far too much adjustment than what you're seeking.

Fulla
    one of those velcro wallet things that strap to the butt stock. i taped some padding under it. i got mine from trade me, about $30. the ones that hold rounds on the side, and a zip pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    On the pattern board I shoot low with it, tried it with foam and tape, patterns much higher, was looking for something that didn't make my gun look like a half unwrapped parcel
    Well if you've established you need to alter the stock you need to get an adjustable comb. I can give you the number of someone to put one in for you relatively cheaply if you want
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Well if you've established you need to alter the stock you need to get an adjustable comb. I can give you the number of someone to put one in for you relatively cheaply if you want
    Spot on , the thing with duct tape is you can add a thickness at a time , allways Pattern at 35metres. 60/40 is high for a game gun , unless you are Italian , they like their guns to shoot high Most Berettas are too high for me and my O/U ones always hurt me untill I got the stock bent . My Beretta 470 double was fitted by the guy from Beretta Austrailia , he took 3.5mm at the heel and 5mm off at the toe , nothing off the comb , and the gun now fits and shoots if I point it right ,so you dont always solve your problem by adding or subtracting from the comb , you can try wedges under the butt pad as well.

The trouble with foam is that it compresses unevenly with facial pressure and with time and holds moisture
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Its a cheap gun, my first foray into the sub gauges to see if I like them. An adjustable comb would have to be reasonably priced for me to do it on this gun? Hoon have you tried those accu-risers? Currently have about 4mm of hard foam on the length of the comb, gives me a little higher than flat pattern at 40 yards. Just looks like an unwanted Christmas pressie with all the tape on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Its a cheap gun, my first foray into the sub gauges to see if I like them. An adjustable comb would have to be reasonably priced for me to do it on this gun? Hoon have you tried those accu-risers? Currently have about 4mm of hard foam on the length of the comb, gives me a little higher than flat pattern at 40 yards. Just looks like an unwanted Christmas pressie with all the tape on it!
    My friend ended up going for the Recoil Systems comb raiser, as she has a very slim face and the gun stock has a lot of drop, so needed something cheap to get her shooting before she thinks about getting a new stock made. The previous attempt of newspaper and electrical tape looked a bit shit after it got wet in the rain.

The raiser does the job well, and doesn't look like arse. I've shot the gun with it, and it is fine. After she ordered it, it arrived within the week.

'Recoil systems comb raiser' ordered, watch this space

Ejected
    Or you could spend 30 bucks at the gunsmiths and have him do some adjusting.

Mate do the Aussie trick .
    Get a stubbie cooler ( you do know what they are don't you ) cut the bottom off and slip it over the action and then along the stock .
    Works well and if you get the right cooler you advertise your favourite brew while you shoot .
    Spanners and PerazziSC3 like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA