Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: English & Spanish side by sides

Support NZ artisans and talk to Les Matheson in Hawkes Bay about building a case for you. His work is exceptional.

funny i was discussing this person with someone last night -comments were very expensive and does it when he is ready and if you ask when it takes longer ...so said to me!! I doubt he could build a case for the price mentioned .. in theory i do agree with you tho Gqhoon its just the $ changes ones practices unless filthy rich
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

My experience of Les' work was quite the opposite. He made a bespoke cartridge bag for me for my UK trip last year, completed it in less than 4 weeks from time of ordering. A few days after recieving it by courier, he followed up with a phone call to make sure I was happy with it. I'll be getting a leather gun-slip to match sometime in the near future.

As for price, what's a fair hourly rate for a true craftsman? You certainly don't need to be filthy rich to experience his workmanship.
    Pointer likes this.

That's the thing about one off jobs, what price does a person capable of such a job charge? There are tradesmen, and then there are craftsmen.
    gqhoon and Maca49 like this.

yes one off stuff youd expect to pay more for sure but if its not a Purdey its going in a cheaper gun casei would think a case from this guy would be in the vicinity of a grand or more?
    Last edited by el borracho; 06-07-2014 at 11:06 PM.

that's true, a case triple the value of what your putting in it

I have no doubt that there would be someone out there that would pay for that but its sure as shit not me. Ugly bling

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    i would think a case from this guy would be in the vicinity of a grand or more?
    I haven't enquired about a hard-case, but a cartridge bag was $400-$500 and a slip was $500-$700 depending on your requirements. So I would imagine a leather hard-case would be in excess of $1K.

I would imagine his work would be exquisite and if I could afford to have a one off I would .There is certainly something special about a well made and adorned case

Anyone heard of these guns ? Hartmann and Weiss from Hamburg.

Had an interesting read from a chap as follows about Purdey design guns ....As lovely a gun as Purdey makes, they are middle to late 19th Century technology in design. Obviously the steel has markedly improved but they whole design concept is inherently weak, notably about the wrist. With the same or less outlay, one could have had a McKay Brown with the Dickson design action, (or even a new back action side lock). Nobody is going to be as pissed as the owner if the thing breaks.I suppose the point is that the old and well established London makers have managed to pull an increadable amount of wool over the shooting public's eyes. Of such things are myths born. The English have done this with all manner of their home produced commodities for two centuries. If the new and enthusiastic well heeled sportsman really wants to splash out and acquire a fine sporting gun to be proud of, he could order a Hartmann and Weiss from Hamburg. However, makers like H & W don't bother to put themselves out there. The newly monied merely go for what they know or what their associates know, which is not necessarily a whole lot. Not a poke at their character but a comment that one can only know what he knows.

An unusual 'article' with a rather irellavent point being made. Yes, the Dickson design is claimed to being the strongest of all as it removes less material than say the Beesley action used by Purdey. But the Dickson design is the same era as the Beesley so is no more 'modern'.

Interesting the article doesn't mention the more intricate Beelsey spring design and function used by Purdey.

over my head gqhoon this gun design stuff but it was not an article but banter on face book this morning when someone posted a purdey s/s .. interesting never the less for such a gun to be questioned

A cynic might suggest that the Facebook post was made by someone who couldn't afford a Purdey, so had to 'settle' for a Dickson instead. Despite the tone of the post, the factual information is correct...you could buy two McKay Brown for the price of a single Purdey...that doesn't lessen the enjoyment gained from possessing either.

Interestingly, Dickson made a number of guns using the Beesley action made famous by Purdey (10 or 12 I believe), so must have been comfortable with the more complex design to put their name to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    I have no doubt that there would be someone out there that would pay for that but its sure as shit not me. Ugly bling
    Gotta store you gold some where!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Anyone heard of these guns ? Hartmann and Weiss from Hamburg.

Had an interesting read from a chap as follows about Purdey design guns ....As lovely a gun as Purdey makes, they are middle to late 19th Century technology in design. Obviously the steel has markedly improved but they whole design concept is inherently weak, notably about the wrist. With the same or less outlay, one could have had a McKay Brown with the Dickson design action, (or even a new back action side lock). Nobody is going to be as pissed as the owner if the thing breaks.I suppose the point is that the old and well established London makers have managed to pull an increadable amount of wool over the shooting public's eyes. Of such things are myths born. The English have done this with all manner of their home produced commodities for two centuries. If the new and enthusiastic well heeled sportsman really wants to splash out and acquire a fine sporting gun to be proud of, he could order a Hartmann and Weiss from Hamburg. However, makers like H & W don't bother to put themselves out there. The newly monied merely go for what they know or what their associates know, which is not necessarily a whole lot. Not a poke at their character but a comment that one can only know what he knows.
    A Purdys a Purdy, a Hartman and what? May as well buy a Norinco!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough