Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Field gun

R93
    I hear a wee rumour that autos will require pinning to 3 shots in some districts this season.
    Not sure how valid it is but I am happy to go back to a double gun for ducks if need be.

My advice is to just buy a gun that fits you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I WONT be sticking any pins in any of my semi autos and therefor wrecking a perfectly good gun to hell with that bullshit i will put in the plug and limit the shots to the requried amount anyway ill be using a dble barrel sidelock with bismith dont need more than 2 shots ...

well done major. long live the double barrel. i do not understand the desire to buy new.many shotguns were designed to fire tens of thousands of rounds,far more than a field hunter would ever shoot in a couple of lifetimes.there are some excellent makes/models mentioned here that can be bought for 5-600 secondhand and are fantastic value,far better than buying turkish guns,although these are good value on the new market,but not the quality of some japanese,italian and spanish guns.i still take out a 1877 greener,as well as other hammer guns,and i still can't resist buying the odd outstanding value u/o when they come up.its a joy to have such craftmanship between your hands,not machine stamped,mass assembled,produced for a price segment,piece of crap.there have been 2 german made simpsons u/o sold on TM for around $500.if i didn't have one of would have bought them.these are fantastic value.if you could buy them today the cost new would probably be in excess $6000.you won't wear them out.some people just want a shooter,but a lot of fun can be had in seeking out a classic and bargain,but do your homework,seek out good advice,going into the unknown blind,well, that way there be dragons.
    hamsav likes this.

northdude
    I started off with the same gun as what you've got it didn't fit me and didn't point either I didn't know what those two things ment until I went to a gunshop and tried a few different guns theres a big difference between one that fits and points and one that doesn't so id say go and try a few different ones first
    Survy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I started off with the same gun as what you've got it didn't fit me and didn't point either I didn't know what those two things ment until I went to a gunshop and tried a few different guns theres a big difference between one that fits and points and one that doesn't so id say go and try a few different ones first
    And remember F/A salesmen trying to sell you a shottie will actually know anything about shotgun fit.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Akkar (Turkish) are making very stylish o/u field guns all steel compatible new for around 900, plus that triple barrel one they make would be the thing for driven upland game!
    not at 8 pounds odd it wouldnt

Swung one of those three barrelled guns today. In the hand it didn't feel as weighty as I thought it was going to and it was surprisingly nice to mount and swing with. Interestingly it only weighs half a pound more than a Beretta Silver Pigeon. I definitely wouldn't say no to one if given it.

res
    I think only three things matter.

Fit
    Suitable for steel
    Budget

If you can, find a clay range that will fit you up with a few club or members guns so you start to get a idea of what right feels like and then start a list of what feels right-as has been said most salespeople won't bring it into the picture ESP at your pricepoint.
    After that, just watch tardme etc and don't be in a rush-if you wait some amazing deals come up if you have cash and can hit buy now without checking with anyone. If you check latest listings 2/3 times a day just for shotguns it should only take a couple of min a day once you get the hang of it.
    You may not get it in time for this season but very high end stuff for cents in the dollar comes up more often the most think-it just sells very very fast so notifications are worthless.
    Using Tapatalk

yes the akkar tribores are a cool gun,but limited in their use. yes fit is important,but most shotguns will fit,you may have to play around a bit,fit a new recoil pad etc. but in my book it is not a biggy,the english place great emphasis on it,but then they sell the bespoke gun. the american attitude is one size fits all and you adapt to the gun.provided you are not an odd shape and your right eye is your master eye,i would not expect too many issues,from standard made shotguns.i would be wary of signs of abuse ie.damaged slots in screws,loose ribs,altered chokes etc.

All good advice, thanks to all. Will have a mosey down to serious shooters, those buggers looked after me good in the past they are always good for a natter or 2. Apart from the ones on Trademe, I will look at the baikal (Churchill 206 hunter), Mossberg and akkar. At the shops. And will make sure they do steel.
    As I see it, they all gotta be better than my mav88
    Mike H likes this.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Have you seen the Lanber in the for sale column? Interchoke & adjustable comb certainly worth a look, I know it keeps tempting me for my Grandson but I would have to sell his other guns first :-(

northdude
    some of the early baikals don't shoot steel as i found out when I was looking

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    some of the early baikals don't shoot steel as i found out when I was looking
    Mostly I think cause they are usually choked, 3/4 and full or 1/2 and full for lead which is too much for steel. My Browning has 2 stampings on each tube
    1/2 choke = lead
    full = steel
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

northdude
    where abouts are you if in auk I can put you on to a good guy to have a talk to and get a feel of some different types of guns

@northdude I'm out west akl.

Can anyone also tell me, when you get fitted for a under over, or fit as best as you can, do you then get a generic number or size to indicate your fit ? So you can rock up to a shop and say yeah I'm a such and such fitting ?
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...