Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: HELP;Shotgun ID

HELP;Shotgun ID

I was given a very nice shotty a while ago but am unable to find its various characteristics on line .anyone out there can hep??gun is in showroom condtion.

12guage o/u of italian manufacture FILLI GAMBA ARMI

brushed steel engraved action

prince of wales pistol grip stock .

???a skeet gun ,though i cant for life of me find the choke markings on the bores.

GUNDOC???or any info kindly received.would it be steel compatible.

From what I can find they went out of business in the late 80s they were quite high quality. I have no idea about steel compatibility but open chokes seem to work ok in my experience.Choke may be marked as stars or I, II, III etc. A few photos would be appreciated as it sounds nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    From what I can find they went out of business in the late 80s they were quite high quality. I have no idea about steel compatibility but open chokes seem to work ok in my experience.Choke may be marked as stars or I, II, III etc. A few photos would be appreciated as it sounds nice.
    Marty ,
    my google enquiries turned up the following;original firm was Filli Gamba Armie ..in 1967 his son Renato Gamba bought his father out and its now known as Renato Gamba.They do make high quality guns-some prices would bring tears to a glass eye. this would suggest my gun is pre 67.It has extensive engraving ,scrolls fluer de lis even the pin on the break lever is engraved .scrollwork is very clean and of high quality -again leading me to believe this may be a good quality gun. Receiver -extensive engraving and its a heavy gun suggesting brushed stainless steel.
    despite 2xpair of 3xreading glasses and large magnifying glass im unable to find (at least decipherable)markings re either chokes or nitro proof ???european in house proofed.this is in contrast to my other guns all of whom are budget types but these details are easily found and read. if i can persuade my daughter ,she make take some ashots and put em up on here -today not good for that though -one tantrum already .thanks for your comments though .will keep in touch.
    oh yeah I did find an ancient forum on trapshooting where someone alluded to these guns being choked F/IM ,though not sure if this actually is.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...otguns.260006/

Chokes mod and full

(later: oh, this is probably the link you referred to above)
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...otguns.260006/

Chokes mod and full

(later: oh, this is probably the link you referred to above)
    yes thanks

Not a common gun in NZ. It would have been made for lead shot and the barrels may be unsafe with steel.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Not a common gun in NZ. It would have been made for lead shot and the barrels may be unsafe with steel.
    Thread hijack a bit but what happens if steel shot is used in a gun not originally intended to be used with steel shot? ( IE my Bentley pump action.)
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Thread hijack a bit but what happens if steel shot is used in a gun not originally intended to be used with steel shot? ( IE my Bentley pump action.)
    I would think if you were using NON super duper heavy loads and no more than 1/4 choke.......................................most likely nothing
    Finnwolf likes this.

Damn good question will be interested in answers

according to my choke gauges ,and after consult with ex owner -he bought it in UK-its a skeet gun. Its in pristine condition and action is tight as .also has recoil cocking 2nd trigger. Contemplating actually putting it on the market.Im no skeet shooter ,its sitting in my cabinet ,and as my son has said the money could go to other urgent needs i have.
    Micky Duck likes this.

if yo uuse steel shot SMALLER than size #3 and keep payloads to 1 1/8th 34gms or below nothing....
    what happens...or rather CAN happen if you ignore the above..is a bit like Auckland traffic at 17;05 at a Y intersection... the shot CAN get all tangled up together and rub shoulders with each other and temporaily form blockage creating outward pressure too much for barrel to handle..bridging is the technical term for it..it can swell the choke or bulge barrel just behind it...I still use a full choked russian bakail u/o with above consideration without issue and will on occasion fire #2 all be it in a smaller 32grm payload.
    75/15/10 black powder matters