Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By madjon_

Thread: The purpose of the Winchester WAA-1224 wad Blue.

The purpose of the Winchester WAA-1224 wad Blue.

Greetings, Two bags of 12 G wads came my way, WAA-12 white and WAA-1224 blue.

Google advises on the WAA-12 but declines to assist in any way with the WAA-1224 blue.... and I have 250 of the little blue blighters.

The WWW-1224 is only 0.02 inch longer than the WAA-12 with a higher mounted shot cup having a smaller capacity and a concave cup base.

So is it for a smaller number of a heavier lead shot or a smaller number of a lighter lead shot or just a smaller number of either OR ?

May a kind member assist with the load ?

Thank You.
    Name:  is a puzzlement.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  7.4 KB

My Lyman shotshell handbook third edition shows blue wads on the cover but don't mention them inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    My Lyman shotshell handbook third edition shows blue wads on the cover but don't mention them inside.
    Nor do either Lyman 5 th edition Shotshell Reloading nor 1996 Hogdon Powder Shotshell. books Looks like it is an "obsolete" wad.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post

Thanks for that. Interesting, in a "limited " way. But it does indicate the wad is for a light load of 0.846 oz to 0.987 oz, which explains why it is a smaller capacity than the WAA 12 which is up to 1+1/8 oz.

Alas, it also raises another problem being that ADI AS 30 n mentioned, has been replaced by APS 350 .

I am still using AP70 N which has now also been superseded by APS650., and have no interest in buying, (if I could even source it) a third shotgun powder APS 350.

So I see some puzzles ahead of me to establish the powder weight of either AP70N or APS 650 for a 24 / 28 grain lead load.

Heigh Ho.... Such Fun.