Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rifled chokes

Rifled chokes

Has anyone here fiddled around with rifled chokes and slugs? What results or trends are you seeing? Got a Sulun 14" with a rifled choke and slug suppressor (custom) and it doesnt seem to like sabots (thankfully) but conventional slugs it seems to like to an extent. Thinking about swapping to a IM choke so i can run buck as well.

I've often wondered if those chokes work?
    You have an ounce of lead travelling down the barrel at 1300 fps and it encounters shallow rifling for the last 2 inches?
    Can it take the spin in those circumstances?

In the century before last English gun makers produced paradox guns basically a shotgun with the last 4 or so inches rifled with a slow twist. It significantly improved the accuracy of slugs and the conical bullets designed for them and still gave acceptable patterns with shot at close ranges.
    So it's not a new idea. I wonder if interchangeable ones wouldn't either unscrew or tighten up excessively.
    In my experience buck shot and bbs pattern best with a cylinder bore, tighter chokes seem to spread the pattern for some reason I can't figure out
    11mms likes this.

AR7
    Hi in the air gun world " F X " company do have some of their barrels done this way [smooth then a twist @ the end ]
    they are rated rather highly ..
    So when you reload do you still want to use the cup//wad and shoot under sized lead or go full bore with your projectile size
    What brand of supp. are you using . I have a couple of different brands and do shoot solids via them ,but i tend to use subsonic loads because of the noise of the H Vel. One barrel is even ported to slow regular ammo down Cheers

Just save your time and money and buy this ready to shoot Paradox rifle in stock in NZ.
    I can go look at it for you if needed ?

https://collectorweapons.co.nz/Produ...-e5a73fa3a1b6/
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

I use a Remington 1187 with scope & rifled choke in a slug barrel, I shoot 1oz Lee Keydrives ...... explodes a rabbit at 50-60m. Am looking forward to trying it on a few pigs
    Growlybear and EmpireSafaris like this.

I have rifled choke in 18 inch barrel with sights on Remington 11~87 works great to 100 yards
    Growlybear likes this.

@Bob Da Browning. What 12 ga cartridge structure have you developed for such good accuracy with Lee slugs?

My question still stands, if your slug is in a plastic wad are we saying underr those circumstances the plastic wad takes the spin?
    I'd like to see it provern

Win aa hulls, white win aa 1& 1/8 wad with 20g felt base cut in half under the slug & petals trimmed back to shoulder of slug 8 crimp & 22grains as50n powder, win 209 primer. We blow up 2lt milk bottles filled with water & formula tins filled with water & lids jammed back on for reactive targets & giggles

I didnt find the slugs as accurate with the skeet choke & imp cyl choke but minute of rabbit & possum has been good so far, am looking forward to pugs in the next few weeks

@Bob Da Browning: Thankyou.

It's quite possible it's the dia of the rifled coke that is giving you the good results rather that the fact it's rifled

Could also be the rifling grabbing the wad & pulling it cleanly off the slug maybe, as the groupings were terrible before I started putting the card/felt under the slug. Would really need a highspeed camera to get a good slow motion shot of wad & slug leaving the barrel.

there are some folks who put a big plug of silicon up the arse of those slugs.
    Lots of info on the castboolits thread about slug loads.
    the lee slug is like a giant oversized slug pellet so ANY spin will be better than none.
    75/15/10 black powder matters