Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Sto

Over under Vs Semi in MaiMai

Hey ,
    After shooting opening with a under/over , in the middle of two guys with semi autos . It was pretty hard to get onto a target before the other two blasted the ducks.
    By the end of the day I was alittle bit frustrated its safe to say. Does anyone else have this problem ?
    The guys im shooting with are alot more experienced . It was safe to say my shooting had inproved alot by the end of the day.
    To cut a long story short Im going to start saving my pennies for a semi.

So im looking at semi auto options , I dont want to spend a forture because I will be using the shotgun once a year for clays and ducks.

What are the options second hand for under a grand ?
    Im kinda leaning towards the Stoeger M3000 , A poor man Benelli Ive seen it advertised as.

Anyway advice please.
    Thanks
    Patience Is A Virtue

keep the u/o and tell your mates to let you get first barrel away before they open up.

and you should be on left hand end so they cant throw empties at you....

HaHa Mickyduck , They are pretty Hardcore so I doubt they would.
    I do enjoy shooting with the under/over , makes me think about shot placement instead of blazing away like they do.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

i just sold a stoeger 3000, they work well . my advice however in the semi line is the fabarm.
    its softer on the shoulder, more pointable and generally nicer to shoot. i have had saigas, berettas, benellis etc, sticking with fabarm now
    Jusepy likes this.

MB
    I like O&U guns. Only reason I sold my Miroku was that I've spent previous seasons up to my balls in mud in a ghillie suit. I wanted a camo gun that could take knocks without me stressing about the woodwork. I'd give the O&U a bit more time. You'll always be outgunned by guys with semi-autos, but will you always be shooting with them? Also, a lot of regions limit you to three rounds, so more money and more things to go wrong with a semi for not much benefit.

the only semi i ever had issues with was a browning a5 (original ). the squared receiver was a pain to look over but bloody hell it was ammo fussy

Get new mates!!
    We alway rotate "first" shooter in mai mai or where ever
    jakewire and Moa Hunter like this.

Im not looking to change anything in the maimai as its only my second season , I see what you lads are saying but Im not going to rock the boat about positions etc.

Like I said , I was getting faster and better as the weekend progressed so perhaps I need more time behind the over under.
    Still interested in cheaper 2nd hand semis thou..
    Patience Is A Virtue

you shoot 2 ducks every time....your mates with 5 rounds each WONT get more than you more than once during a whole weekend of shooting.
    I have used a beretta semi and slowly getting used to it...but if honest wouldve been better off just using the old U/O..... even when I had a pump which I was plurry good with...most times I seldom used more than 3rounds.
    Moa Hunter and Heyblast like this.

check out the franchi that (blackfern ) is selling gas auto and chokes , you wont get a better deal than that and in taupo

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    the only semi i ever had issues with was a browning a5 (original ). the squared receiver was a pain to look over but bloody hell it was ammo fussy
    Wash your mouth out mate lol
    Fussy? Thought they were the original reliable battleship.of autos. only time mine has played up was worn bits.
    Back on topic

I’ve gone from a semi auto back to u/o . Why? Safety first - break the gun open and no accident can happen 2. Tend to use a lot less ammo 3. I like the simplicity of the u/o = not much can go wrong over time compared to semi 4. Gun laws - who knows when next round of semi auto outlawing will happen!!

Forget the semi, forget the o/u, and get a side by side its the only proper wild fowl gun.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Wash your mouth out mate lol
    Fussy? Thought they were the original reliable battleship.of autos. only time mine has played up was worn bits.
    Back on topic
    jeez mate, who lit the string on yer tampon
    my a5 was horrid, refused to function anything but heavy loads and that squared receiver drove me up the wall and back. every time i lifted it up there was a wall of steel in front of my eye.
    csmiffy likes this.

A semi auto wont get you on target any quicker.
    Savage1, Woody, Got-ya and 1 others like this.