Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Would like to see paper shotgun ammo on the market

Of course you could use brass cases in your older shottie..bet you wouldn't leave too many of them lying in the grass.

One reason I traded my .410bore with ejector for one with an extractor. Stopped losing hulls. But then I have never been in a big hurry to reload either lol
    Micky Duck and Old_School like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

AR7
    Hi Guys
    if shooting a simple break action one can change the ejection spring to just extract the empty so no wasting those flash brass reloads .. Cheers
    308, Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

I use cbc brass in my 16 gauge cape rifle,16 gauge wads don't work as the brass is much thinner than a plastic or paper shell so I had to make a was punch. On the bright side my cases have lasted over 15 reloads so far.. the same applies for 12 gauge brass, you need 11 gauge wads
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    Hi Guys
    if shooting a simple break action one can change the ejection spring to just extract the empty so no wasting those flash brass reloads .. Cheers
    Didn't know that. Would have saved some trouble...makes sense tho
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bollocks.......yes you will get some melt holes in some cases..where your home made black powder has a sulphur lump that sticks..but that might be 1 in 20 cases from the few I put together a couple of years back. I hazard a guess you could run a small thin card sheet as tube liner of case and prevent that too. but seriously...dont over think it for snotting a few possums out of trees, just poke a few loads together and go and have fun. break open guns allow all sorts of digressions to be OK...
    There are actually a few factors at play, particularly with choice of powder.
    A black powder shooter once showed me what it does to hulls, actually roll crimp can be worse, the star crimps would occasionally blow out the odd hole on the folds, but were still reloadable, whereas the roll crimps would melt on the edge and go out of shape.

The same thing was happening for me with those falcon cowboy rounds.
    But the plastic wads are a much bigger issue, it almost coats the whole bore in a thin layer of plastic, but its not too difficult to scrub out.
    Paper hulls would burn through on occasion, but most could be reloaded at least a couple of times.

a turks head brush is your friend
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah I've got one of those brushes. Even the smokeless cowboy rounds left a bit of plastic in my old belgian gun.
    The chokes on that gun were ridiculously tight and largely contributed to that happening. The bore size at the end was quite a bit smaller diameter than the wads themselves. Gave excellent patterning however.

Im very keen on seeing more paper hulls around, or at least natural wads/biodegradable ones. Found this on youtube and thought it was worth sharing on how the paper hulls are made as they are getting more popular in the US again hopefully we see some overflow down here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7wS...eralAmmunition

Havent read the whole debate, MAi mai supplies used to bring in paper 20 gauge with felt wads it was good to use. but pricey, dont recall if they did 12 G.

I shot a LOT of paper cartridges in my pest board days when it came from CAC, it didnt last well. If you had a few rounds rolling around in the glove box etc the ends got burred and it lost its waxy coat then it wouldnt fit in the gun no more!

If you are environmentally inclined to use it thats great, and it does look like crap floating on a pond ( plastic hulls) be Prepared to be careful how you store / handle it. ( paper cartridges)

Re ejectors flinging cases in a break open gun, I am blessed with two hands, one of them I can use to stop the cases jumping out of the chambers unless I want them to, usually I like to take the empties with me or strategically place them in a forestry track miles from where the covey was
    Last edited by johnd; 29-01-2024 at 09:25 PM.
    mikee and Marty Henry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hialan View Post
    Im very keen on seeing more paper hulls around, or at least natural wads/biodegradable ones. Found this on youtube and thought it was worth sharing on how the paper hulls are made as they are getting more popular in the US again hopefully we see some overflow down here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7wS...eralAmmunition
    Hunting and fishing in Warkworth have a few boxes of gamebore regal game paper loads if you are after some, they are also chambered in 65mm so will suit those older shotguns well.

any possum i come across will be getting terminal contraception via a 3"34gm solway magnum 12g round .a truly unforgettable blowjob. H&Fadvertise in their catalogue ammo with biodegradeable wads . Dont ask me for details im goin off memory. someone onceshowed me a .270 is dandy on possums too -cures their destructive tendencies fast and permanently!