Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Yildiz U/O - any good

Go on buy a beretta, you know you want too Nah seriously, I tried one and its a nice gun at a great price point but unfortunately for me it did not fit me I could not hit the broadside of a city highrise with it.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

tried them about 5 years ago, can't fault the wood as it comes from the same source as beretta's.
    they are very cheap, we got a deal from the importers at the time, couldn't hit shit with them but that could have been sorted by a fitting and stock adjustment.
    the safety catches looks and feel like a lego block and the cheap screws in the alloy block need replacing.
    the yanks have been using them for a few years now and they seem to get mixed reviews and reports of broken firing pins are common, in fact they advise buying a spare set when you get the gun, on the whole the price of them is the best feature and will convert many to try using a sub gauge....... i would like to try the sxs and then chop it for the kids.
    Pointer and Petros_mk like this.

Thanks for your help guys - Kawhia's comments helped make my mind up, and I couldn't get my head around the firing pin thing, cheap screws etc, so I stuck with what I know and got a plain Jane but dependable 28" Reminton 870 in 12g + a couple of chokes. Cheaper too, although once I get a new stock for it from Boyds to match my Model 700 it will owe me a bit. I'll be happy then with all bases covered - .22,.270 & 12g

Go on Petros, join the Y bangers
    Pointer, Petros_mk and Toby like this.

had a look at one today while scoping out a Browning 725, Very nice for the money but I was rather taken with a Webley Scott in 28 gauge.

However the salesman was not having any of the "I'll pay full price for the 725 if you toss in the Webley Scott in 28g for free" offer so we are still negotiation in the 725
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Mikee, who had the 28g W&S?

Stirling Sports, Richmond. Had 3, 2 have gone already. I believe they are Italian made rather than Turkish.

Nice little under/over. I want one but need a Sporting Clays gun more so will have to wait

All the Yildiz guns I have handled / shot were also well made (for what they cost) but light field guns so not really suited to heavy use on clays, they booted a bit after a few boxes in succession.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Stirling Sports, Richmond. Had 3, 2 have gone already. I believe they are Italian made rather than Turkish.

Nice little under/over. I want one but need a Sporting Clays gun more so will have to wait

All the Yildiz guns I have handled / shot were also well made (for what they cost) but light field guns so not really suited to heavy use on clays, they booted a bit after a few boxes in succession.
    Always had a bad feeling about italian guns, not that I have any experience with them.
    My grandfather always said never buy them "They left us for dead in the Greek Civil war, we use to piss on them to cool em off". Not that this has anything to do with a 21st centrury shotgun....

Y bangers it is UU... I need a light gun to thrash around that I can use on ducks too (20g). Commy gun aint going anywhere tho...I don't think the Yildiz can come close to the abuse a Baikal can withstand...

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    Commy gun aint going anywhere tho...I don't think the Yildiz can come close to the abuse a Baikal can withstand...
    Nothing can the same abuse as a russian gun, and seems WS ARE Turkish made so my bad

Here is a pic of the 28G
    Name:  Webley_Scott_28_900_Shotgun.png
Views: 856
Size:  113.7 KB
    R93 likes this.

Not a bad looking gun tho... Looks wise its much better than a Yildiz...
    Whats the weight on it and price?
    Might not be a Y banger I'm going after LOL

If ya like I could go and have another hold of it for ya tomorrow and get the price?

hahaha.... this was quick...
    I'll need to have a play with one first.... Pointer's Yildiz was sitting nice on my sholder when I pulled it up, the grip was quite nice too. Not sure how these are...
    Let me know what the 20g cost is if you get a chance to ask tho... I'll keep an eye out around Auckland if I see one..

anything has to be lighter than that Baikal cannon you currently use

What are you going to do with a 28g Uzbeki? My old man has a W&S twelve gauge as his 'river' gun, have a play with that before you buy one. To be fair anything would fit me better than the Y-banger, the W&S has much more generic stock measurements, kinda like the mirokus

hahaha.... this was quick...
    I'll need to have a play with one first.... Pointer's Yildiz was sitting nice on my sholder when I pulled it up, the grip was quite nice too. Not sure how these are...
    Let me know what the 20g cost is if you get a chance to ask tho... I'll keep an eye out around Auckland if I see one..
    Both the 28 and 20g are listed on the tag at $1299.