Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: dog psychology books

that is what I was really looking for was a guy with a gun dog back ground although I don't think that is a pre requisite .To read some of these books will widen ones appreciation of how dogs react to different stimuli -especially human stimuli -are we acting correctly when teaching our dogs -arrogance might say yes but humbleness will keep you listening
    Grim likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Aaaah, but Luke, listen who to?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

there are many I listen to Victoria .I just saw Kawhia write something on another forum that sounded an excellent idea for dogs barking -listened and learned --RUFF will have plenty of insights and if he ever actually shares it in depth I will listen to him -one must pick and choose if one is sensible enough to wade through the noise and find common sense answers that seem simple but actually had to be explained to you -that where the humble comes in

El B, we can listen to three thousand opinions about dog training, dog psychology, dog everything but it is all subjective...we must know our dog first...like us they are individuals...some come to the grey matter slower than others, some have prey drive that is so intent it is almost pscyhotic, some work away, some work closer, and so on...no amount of advice in the ear will ever diminish the value of being out with your dog observing him...

To a degree Victoria but your forgetting the human grey matter element and that is what possibly causes most probs

Observing your dog is engaging both sets of grey matter...

the great grey matter debate

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Observing your dog is engaging both sets of grey matter...
    interesting but i must ask why is it the people i look to for dog knowledge, are capable of getting your dog working better for them , then you have ever had your dog working for you in about 5mins flat
    el borracho likes this.

and when a say you i mean people i general

its not easy finding methods that work on the internet thats for sure , but from what i have found the ones that do work , work first time

we don't all know how to go about fixing things that are not going to plan -all of us im sure suffer this-hence this post,some times walking with the dog observing isn't enough as we don't understand what were seeing --we all need some learnin up to some degree

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimaicockher View Post
    interesting but i must ask why is it the people i look to for dog knowledge, are capable of getting your dog working better for them , then you have ever had your dog working for you in about 5mins flat
    Unlike us they have no attachment nor does the dog of them...while we are trying to work our dogs out, our dogs have long us worked out!!!
    HF1 likes this.

Unlike us they have no attachment nor does the dog of them...while we are trying to work our dogs out, our dogs have long us worked out!!!
    can you re write that

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    we don't all know how to go about fixing things that are not going to plan -all of us im sure suffer this-hence this post,some times walking with the dog observing isn't enough as we don't understand what were seeing --we all need some learnin up to some degree
    yes, but you can sure know if the dog is taking the micky out of you or in other words our control of or lack of has allowed them to take the micky out of us...I feel great emotional attachment to my dogs which is pretty wrong really because it clouds the relationship of HUMAN v DOG...drawing the line between companion and work collegue so to speak is the fine line that has to be drawn and kept marked in the sand...we can do it...so the que around here is the companion becomes work collegue when the bell collar goes on...we have established this demarcation. For me, this is enough. For the next person, probably not. For the third, fourth and subsequent persons again probably not but somewhere down the line it will work for someone else as it does for me and my horde.

I think we tend to over emphasis dog behaviour and dog this and dog that...it is about taking responsibility for the behaviours of your dog just as you would for your own. And if the dog does stuff you do not like, change it...afterall, it was us who allow the behaviours to perpetuate in the first place, because we are the ones with the supposed control.

other people do not have the attachment we have with our dogs nor do the dogs have any attachment to them.