Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dog training problems and answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I'm not sure if you've hooked any clients here.
    Sorry if my points h=of facts have pissed you off... I don;t think that particular little bitchy remark is warranted... you've never seen an advertisemtn of mine and you cannot get a dog into my kennel for six months. I don;t tout for business... most often I have to turn it away. I think we'll leave it all right here. i interpret that shirty little comment as defeat... you can say it's something else.....

Have fun with Scribe (He's a rapper)????

I'll be on the couch if you need me... lightning and rain here... just post. i wont be far away

Fantastic thoughtful post Ruff !Never be to high and mighty not to learn afresh or at lest consider a sensible & knowledgeable person who does this for a job.Dougie don't ever take offense but appreciate other possibly better methods -its not a competition but an opportunity for you me and all others to grow
    Pointer likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Nothing wrong with that approach El B, the day we all stop learning is the day we cark it

Dougie stay a while and listen, Ruff isn't being personal

No I'm not, and I don;t say this lightly, but listen and try out some of what I offer, and I guarantee you'll be showing your teachers some stuff they didn;t know soon enough.

Very little of what I do or how I do it is available to find out there in the canine world which is, let's face it, full of absolute bullshit most of the time.

Im going down the park now to do "youll fucken obey me whistle training " .Well broach some more subjects tonight

Hey Ruff I actually didn't mean offence at all, I am sorry that it came across that way. I am always open to learning more - my teachers you speak of, there aren't any! Not formally anyway. I have done all my own research including reading, watching vids and more reading. I've picked through info and decided to use the stuff I like and discard the stuff I don't like quite so much.

El B I will always keep an open mind, always have.

I have yet to hear back from you Ruff about how to teach a down at a distance (during a sendaway or recall). If you tell me your methods I might actually give them a shot lol! I am just glad that you are anti positive punishment. I admire your passion for training. I hope I can keep that up too.

Hey here's a little about me and my background to give you an idea....I have grown up with dogs of many different breeds throughout my life with my family. We never owned any aggressive or 'problem' dogs, every one of the pets fitted well into our family including three kids. One memory that sticks in my mind was being a little girl and walking our Golden. A cat ran across the street and I was tied up in the lead and subsequently went with her, skinned legs, arms, face and all. After that my mom bought a check-chain. And that's just what you did back then!

When I was 17 I got my first own dog - a seven year old working border collie from a farm. He was amazing. Out of the box amazing. He died a year later and I decided I wanted a dog just 'as good' as Mate so searched for another collie with the plan of training it myself - I wanted an adult dog too; crazy! Ended up with a GSD from a shelter I was supposed to be getting the adult collie from. Anyway I had researched for two years before I got Jet and along the way found a particular trainer that I sort of fell in love with. (Her name is Emily Larlham). Any way over the past four years I have been conducting my own study and trailing things on Jet.

So there you go, I've been in this world less years that you have been training dogs, only been training dogs less than most of your dogs have been in this world....don't expect me to be ringing you up for a brand new training scheme. I will look into your stuff and look hard actually, because I would love a hunting dog and a good one (which obviously requires me to be good first) I do want to hear what you have to say without being put into a box of a hippie useless training. Plus, not to throw some baggage at you but understand that my own mother led me astray from an early age with the miracle check chain. I'm allowed to be a bit cautious with some writings on the good old mask of the interwebs.

Anyway seeing as we have already hijacked this thread can you help me with downs at a distance?!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Dougie in no way have you hijacked the thread,its all about all these post here now! its good info and views from different sides and we all have one.

El B does your dog have a down at a distance sorted? Like an emergency down... I would imagine a bird dog would need this in his basic box of tools.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Well, what's an emergency stop? I'm guessing a "special" command it actually obeys????

Downs at a distance... yes... what is about what you're doing that is not working. I assume it knows what "down" is, but it seems to not want to do so at a distance.

Yes, I can show you that in about 10 minutes, I can type it out here over longer... but please... elaborate... why is at that these methods you tell me I don;t understand are not working?

Given the circumstances I think it's a fair questions and I'm not being a smart arse.

I have used a mat as a target (towel) then sendaway to a mat, down at the mat. Also during a recall. Over time I have reduced the mat size until there has been no mat. I have proofed this with mid range distraction (kids, tennis balls, other dogs at a middle distance)I have a reliable down at a distance/moving to an extent but get a 'creep' if you know what I mean. I'm not sure how to take it to the next level with high distraction (dog running along side him, rabbit running across the paddock).

What I mean by emergency stop is like during an emergency..ie tennis ball gets thrown across the street by a kid, I want him to stop in his tracks, not creep. Just an example, I wouldn't put my dog in that situation but just using it to illistrate the 'emergency' bit.

Ooooo better example. Police dog sent away to rip bad guy's arm off. A sudden flash of the torch reveals that the bad guy is actually an old lady in her dressing gown. The handler 'calls the bullet back' by sending the dog into an immediate down.

I am not sure why but I can have the dog perform at high distraction level like this, with a sendaway then a down while running, but only reliably after I have had him in a heel/down/stopped position before the sendaway. So if I am in control of the distraction, it works. When he is in control (spots a rabbit) there is no way in hell.

And please, please PLEASE don't burn me while I am being honest. If this turns into a conversation about how smart you are and how dumb I am, I think I might just unplug my internet for a couple of months!
    Last edited by Dougie; 07-12-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Banned
    hey you spelt conversation rong!!!!
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    hey you spelt conversation rong!!!!
    You didn't see aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything...

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    El B does your dog have a down at a distance sorted? Like an emergency down... I would imagine a bird dog would need this in his basic box of tools.
    longgg whistle on high tapering off -any distance he will go down if he can here it clearly.its the same as a close down whistle. teach it at a controllable distance then progress further out