Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Dog vision. Interesting simulation.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    There is an old boy of a Golden Lab that I meet at the beach most days. He is totally blind, and fairly deaf, but he finds his ball, or a stick thrown into the sea. It takes him a while, but he always finds it
    I can fumble around in the dark and find my watch as well Pengy. I am a bit concerned about this cross species dalliance though mate. You do realise that your offspring will be Penguadors or possibly Labraguins don't you?
    Ruff and Tommy like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Same for your dog If you punished his ears with years of duck shooting and deer hunting.
    Hence why hunting breeds were developed to have folded ears ... and to protect their ears in the rough conditions they hunt in ...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Now that I know they see fuzzy images I will never stop still and bob all over the place in front of my Great Danes and confuse the living shit out of them. Ha ha ha ha gotta wake them up first.
    Attachment 69432
    Awesome couch potatoes.... the big hound breeds all the same

Just thinkin about the old ridgey I had .... one day I caught him on the deck in the back yard peering round the side of the house , his head nodding away .... up and down up and down . Upon investigation there was a kid on a tramp across the road on a rear section behind a fence at least 100m away ,, up and and down up and down.... he also used to watch planes in the sky at so many hundred or thousand feet...... but I guess his hearing pointed him in that direction first

Now explain how their taste receptors transmit the taste of arse and other dogs poo as delicious, and you have yourself a Nobel Prize
    veitnamcam, johnd and GravelBen like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah I'm on the fence, I have had occasion where the dog sees something and knows what it is from a great distance ( prey ) Like paddling out to a duck 250 M away and then I have occasions when the dog cant find me in a open field untill i wave my arms .
    Munsey likes this.

A mates GWP (sadly gone now) used to spot incoming birds such as starlings when they were all but invisible to the human eye.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

This thread is interesting. It shows how widespread a general lack of understanding many have over how a dog works and operates. That a blaze orange dummy is that color for the handler would be one of the most basic things I would expect ANY basic dog handler to know. All of the examples given of things dogs can see have been moving. Anyone who has recalled a dog while being in a group of people having trouble identifying which is their handler on return unless there is a wind from behind the handler. Most handlers in this situation will have to extend their arms and repeat the recall just so the dog gets a recognition.

The better you understand these aspects of your dog, the better you will handle your dog. The more you try and believe the dog thinks, acts, sees, hears and smells like you do you are putting up impediments you don;t need.
    Gruff likes this.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!
    Rebelwood Gundog Training

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my cocker is nearly blind due to faaarked up breeding (dont get me started) even on his good day a dead duck on water is fairly safe if more than 50 yards away....chuck a rock in its direction to give him a clue and his nose will take him the rest of the way.Ive seen heading dogs spot pigs at 6-700 mtrs but they had clues by us humans watching them,and come to think of it you can give arm signals from a long way away too.
    Arm signals involve movement. They see that really well.
    It is difficult to win an argument with an intelligent person! It is near impossible with a stupid person!

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Hence why hunting breeds were developed to have folded ears ... and to protect their ears in the rough conditions they hunt in ...
    Cut it out. Dogs had folded ears long before they were even used in sporting pursuits.

just cos a dog turns his head towards an unseen incoming duck don't mean he see,s it.
    it means he,s heard it and trying more likely to bring his snout first then his eyes maybe onto the job.
    maybe turning to it helps cross reference the lugholes to.
    Gruff and Ruff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    This thread is interesting. It shows how widespread a general lack of understanding many have over how a dog works and operates.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

How can a dog recognize its owner from 100m? My dog had no issues with me

And why don't seeing eye dogs have glasses? Be the blind leading the blind
    Wirehunt and EeeBees like this.

A Lab can only see food. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Tahr; 29-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Our dog used to catch flies mid air, using ears and nose alone would be something alright.
    veitnamcam likes this.