Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Dogs got fussy on dry food

Musey, my dog had a similar issue.

My way around it was to get a Superior chunky dogroll dice it finely with a knife (or brake it up finely using your hands) and store it in an Icecream container in the freezer.
    I'd take a handful of superior chunky each night to defrost and the following night using your hands I would grind/mix it together with the dry kibble before serving. I'd take another handfull out to defrost for the following night and so the cycle continued night after night.

Add just enough dog roll to give it flavor, I usually do a handfull of dog-roll, at a guess that would be about 50 grams.

The dog wasn't smart enough to lick the dog roll off the kibble, instead he ends up eating the whole kibble with dog roll flavor.

Problem solved!

Why do you freeze it Pete?

Superior chunky was going to be my suggestion too. It is great for fattening dogs but I can't leave mine on it too long they go silly on it. It's like giving kids a bucket of lollies each day.

However I haven't had to fatten any of them since using royal canin 4800. Feed it and be done
    Munsey and BRADS like this.

Would also suggest the Royal Canin 4800. If any of mine get a bit skinny during the shooting season, a few weeks on that stuff has them in great condition again.
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Preservation for longer periods really.

The roll seems to remain fine in cool areas as long as its sealed. But once you cut off a slice, the open end goes bad after few days even when you refrigerate it. It use to be fine when I fed the dog a slice every evening on a regular basis, but now Aki is fine eating the kibble by itself and I feed the dog roll sporadically.

The second reason being that I tend to get 2 dog rolls at a time and dice them up finely every couple of months, then I just take out a handful when needed.

Diced (or crumbled) will obviously defrost quicker. When I choose to give it to the dog I take out a hand full either the night before or right before our evening walk, by the time I'm back from the walk it would have defrosted.
    Then its just a matter of throwing it in the pot together with the kibble, mash it up with your hands just to let some of the dog roll flavor stick to the kibble and serve it.

hot water and a bit of milk mate works a treat
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post

Superior chunky was going to be my suggestion too. It is great for fattening dogs but I can't leave mine on it too long they go silly on it. It's like giving kids a bucket of lollies each day.

However I haven't had to fatten any of them since using royal canin 4800. Feed it and be done
    Good stuff. We use a mix of roll, farmkill, and Eukanuba to keep the condition on our working dogs.
    Chunky is good as far as rolls go but be careful I lost a big huntaway to choking on it, was bloody terrible i couldn't get it out of his throat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My mum nearly killed Betty with a chunk of superior chunky brads eyes rolling back in head and everything. glad she's not alone haha

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Mighty mix dry biscuit
    There's your answer, my lot don't like it at all.