Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Don't get a town dog!

Stick with it.
    My father used to give his pups (huntaway and heading to his sister in Dunedin)
    Got them back when the were 9-12 months old.
    He reckoned they were good had all the manners sit stay that sort of thing and he didn't start on them too young.
    I had a huntaway pup with me fencing one day and I stopped it when some sheep wandered up.
    Took me ages to get it going again as it obviously took notice.
    And then it would only bark on command not when moving.
    Dundee and Ruff like this.

If you do use a pigeon, it is a good idea to put it in a stocking first...the oils of the pigeon can be a bit overwhelming to a puppy who is not familiar with the sky rats...
    Dundee and stingray like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Cheers for all the advice.The dummy is a sock stuffed with other socks and she does really well.She was a bit shy when the .22 came out for the training sessions but got that sussed now. I like the tie a wing to the dummy advice. I still got a few days to go..... and I won't give up....
    Countdown Timer - Countdown to 6. Mai 2017 in Wellington

The pigeon I used last night was frozen,I could drop it in a sock. Magpies are still plentiful so might try a wing off them to add to the dummy.
    stingray likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

GSP
    You need to have the dog retrieving the dummies really well first. Make it a lot of fun for the dog and advance to throwing the dummy into places the dog has to search or climb over a log, so the dog shows it is determined to find the dummy. Then the love of retrieving will overcome the feathers on the dummy. Also when you advance again to birds use frozen ones that are partly thawed, they are easier for the dog to hold and the feathers don't stick in their mouth. The issue is that the dog has been left for so long with little done in the way of retrieve training, not that it is a "town dog".
    Dundee and stingray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    "Its hard enough getting out what was put in, it impossible to put in was was left out ...."
    At the end of the day, its all about breeding and natural instinct. If the instinct isn't there no end of training will help.

We pick up a 'free to a good home' 3yr golden retriever from a town owner. It had spent all its life on a chain. Brought it home and took it for a walk to the pond, it rushed in, but turned out it couldn't swim. Had to dive in to save it before it drowned. Living on a chin in town it had learned to fight [probably for its life]. It tore up my lab that had never had a fight in its life. The retriever went for a walk that it never came back from.

Years latter, picked up a free black lab boarder collie cross pup. Looked 100% black lab except for a few stray long hairs. Pup would retrieve a ball without hesitation for two retrieves, then on the third would look at you as if to say "if you keep throwing it away you silly twit, you can go and get it yourself". The older the pup got the more the collie temperament came out. If you turned your back, he would be in the house paddock like a shot and have all the sheep cornered and under eye control. Ended up being a top working stock dog. Never retrieved a duck in its life. Always felt/looked a bit strange having the 'lab' working stock, and then leaving him in the kennel come opening morning.

Paid a lot of money for a 'south island huntaway' pup as I needed a dog with a big bark for punching sheep and cattle from behind. This dog ended up being one of the most intelligent working dogs I ever trained. However, he was in no way a huntaway! He was 100% heading dog. Even in a narrow fenced lane with 1,000 sheep being pushed from behind, all he wanted to do was 'head them off' and bring them back to me. Drove me bloody mad! No end of training would resolve the issue. In the end, because he was so good at what he did, I had to compensate by changing my stock handling methods.

My recommendation is get a pup with the right breeding and natural instinct and have two dogs, or re-home the town dog. Your hunting time is too precious to spend it being frustrated by an under performing 'workmate'.
    A lot of truth here.
    Looking at your dogs pic I would be quite honest in saying the dog has equal amounts of working dog and some type of retriever, maybe the ratio is more towards a heading dog x. What ever natural ability you are hoping to tap into is very diluted.