Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: english setter pups aussi

its interesting people that use the show breed and say they hunt perfectly well -I talk of the breeder in Dargiville who has setters and refuses to use our hunting stock speed machines .
    I know its an discussion we have had but one day if I had time I would like to work a pure show animal and see what it can actually do .
    It is very easy to say theyre just shit but I prefer to see shit in action with training and birds and see what "might"develop .Now I say this had there only been a show dog to breed with but we know that now to have changed -thank god !
    theory all good but with the type of hunting done over bird dogs in NZ and the tight cover I think I could develop a pig as long as it had some point
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

wish i bothered spell properly before posting

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    if a skoda was the only vehicle to go a---z would you drive it or walk
    That point could be taken if it was the only 'vehicle'.

[QUOTE=el borracho;66665]its interesting people that use the show breed and say they hunt perfectly well -I talk of the breeder in Dargiville who has setters and refuses to use our hunting stock speed machines .
    The dogs from Dargiville are almost entirely Wingfield and Berryfield lines now. It is just choosing what animals to breed

His original well breed dog has been put to a show Setter either once or twice and that Dog was not either of those lines , please correct me if I am incorrect -Breeder
    Mrs L and Mr R Parekowhai Rivendell Kennels - English Setters in New Zealand - Welcome to our new Website Address

Sounds like a dumb project

Come round this week and see the pups

His original well breed dog has been put to a show Setter either once or twice and that Dog was not either of those lines , please correct me if I am incorrect -Breeder
    Mrs L and Mr R Parekowhai Rivendell Kennels - English Setters in New Zealand - Welcome to our new Website Address
    Sorry i was not meaning Rivendell.

rivendale was the Setters the Dargiville guy used with his bitch which is BERRYFIELD or WINGFEILD lines from memory.I offerd him up my dog Inti but he didn't want him and preferred the Show stock -but he says the average Jo can handle them

rivendale was the Setters the Dargiville guy used with his bitch which is BERRYFIELD or WINGFEILD lines from memory.I offerd him up my dog Inti but he didn't want him and preferred the Show stock -but he says the average Jo can handle them
    The average Joe can handle working blood better than show blood. To each their own but whenever I hear statements like that it usually means a hidden agenda.. i.e: He's worse than the average Joe, couldn;t train a budgie to shit in a cage and so breeds things too slow to get out of his road.... but I could be wrong.

Give us a pedigree name of his breeding and we can clear any rumours.

Looking at Rivendell now, it's all show, why would he want your working blood? More importantly, why would you offer him something as well bred as Inti?

*edit* As a side note, the last Rivendell breeding was out of a Hei Tiki dog, forum member HF1 is mates with the kennels owner. Interestingly enough, the Hei Tiki line is the oldest in NZ show setters, going back into the sixties. If I'm not wrong, back to Downsmans Niobe and Downsmans Brookfield, the top bred working setters a retired farmer called McNaughton brought out here in the late 50s
    Last edited by Pointer; 17-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.

I don't really know as I haven't seen his dogs work but I do understand his concerns for a dog that's very fast with big bird drive for a weekend warrior

I have found that a lot of people want a dog to take hunting, not a dog to hunt with
    EeeBees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Give us a pedigree name of his breeding and we can clear any rumours.

Looking at Rivendell now, it's all show, why would he want your working blood? More importantly, why would you offer him something as well bred as Inti?
    I wanted Inti's blood to live on in anything rather than not at all as may be the case unless at 11-2 he can get those bad boys swimming

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    I have found that a lot of people want a dog to take hunting, not a dog to hunt with
    or hunt for

I don't really know as I haven't seen his dogs work but I do understand his concerns for a dog that's very fast with big bird drive for a weekend warrior
    Weekend warriors don't get setters. They get HPRs

hhaaaaaaa true ! Toyota not Porsche drivers eh lol