Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gsp wanted

If thats the case Ruff then theres bound to be plenty of em round that are sweet as im sure many hunters would not be into the same traits no?? What do I know though just a obvious point from my experience with hunters not so much dogs.

I'm not so sure, met a German import last year who had the GSP high-pitch whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    If thats the case Ruff then theres bound to be plenty of em round that are sweet as im sure many hunters would not be into the same traits no?? What do I know though just a obvious point from my experience with hunters not so much dogs.
    Whatever positivity you can add to the mix is accepted... Love to hear of all your GSP kennels with perfect dogs or do you just want to slag me off???

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I'm not so sure, met a German import last year who had the GSP high-pitch whine.
    Never said it wasn't an international trait caused by the same international people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Whatever positivity you can add to the mix is accepted... Love to hear of all your GSP kennels with perfect dogs or do you just want to slag me off???
    Not at all, no slagging just thinking there must be breeders that dont follow the traits you mentioned. Breed for hunting not shows.
    That was all i meant.

Is the whining a problem because they scare the game away with it or is it more of an annoyance than something that has a major affect on the hunt?
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Is the whining a problem because they scare the game away with it or is it more of an annoyance than something that has a major affect on the hunt?
    They are not a problem when hunting ,stalking and so on , it's when they are not ,they don't like sitting round They are fine when pointing too . Mine is not as bad as some ,but he goes to town when I hit shingle roads now( he knows he's going hunting) Drives me nuts .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Yeah, its the 'maimai whine' thats a deal breaker

Not at all, no slagging just thinking there must be breeders that dont follow the traits you mentioned. Breed for hunting not shows.
    That was all i meant.
    Unfortunately very few are breeding for these traits. Some are trying to but realistically if they are not hunting the quarry you want over their dogs themselves it is very possible they do not even know what faults (on the hill) their dogs possess. Sadly the "fact" they are on the right track is reinforced in their mind by the placement of a ribbon around the dogs neck after trotting around a small arena on the weekend and it ears a CH title or Am Ch Int Ch or whatever beauty contest awards are dished out and the dog is now marketed as a CHAMPION without ever having done anything to demonstrate it could be a champion or first rate hunting dog.

Some folks are focused on the hunting elements but the lack of true working stock here makes it difficult to negotiate the gene pool and discern from solid hunting stock and show ponies. The whining doesn't effect a dog in the show ring and they will still become champions so it doesn't disappear. If it did it would not be an issue and those with a predisposition to whine would not be bred from. the biggest favor anyone with a GSP that whines can do for the breed in the first instance is not breed any whining dog.

Whining is hard to isolate as a genetic thing, some dogs will whine and it is very much a handling issue in most cases, but some strains of working spaniels are shockers and virtually most all GSP's and if it is genetic the average handler will probably never get rid of it..

Dave Robinson and Bob Whitehead are the only two breeders I knew of who bred for 100% hunting traits and ignored the show ring pretty munch (Bob's line was used on show lines when he married Mandy miller a show breeder of GSP's) but Dave isn;t breeding currently and Bob went out of the breed for pointers and spaniels a decade or so ago.
    mucko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Unfortunately very few are breeding for these traits. Some are trying to but realistically if they are not hunting the quarry you want over their dogs themselves it is very possible they do not even know what faults (on the hill) their dogs possess. Sadly the "fact" they are on the right track is reinforced in their mind by the placement of a ribbon around the dogs neck after trotting around a small arena on the weekend and it ears a CH title or Am Ch Int Ch or whatever beauty contest awards are dished out and the dog is now marketed as a CHAMPION without ever having done anything to demonstrate it could be a champion or first rate hunting dog.

Some folks are focused on the hunting elements but the lack of true working stock here makes it difficult to negotiate the gene pool and discern from solid hunting stock and show ponies. The whining doesn't effect a dog in the show ring and they will still become champions so it doesn't disappear. If it did it would not be an issue and those with a predisposition to whine would not be bred from. the biggest favor anyone with a GSP that whines can do for the breed in the first instance is not breed any whining dog.

Whining is hard to isolate as a genetic thing, some dogs will whine and it is very much a handling issue in most cases, but some strains of working spaniels are shockers and virtually most all GSP's and if it is genetic the average handler will probably never get rid of it..

Dave Robinson and Bob Whitehead are the only two breeders I knew of who bred for 100% hunting traits and ignored the show ring pretty munch (Bob's line was used on show lines when he married Mandy miller a show breeder of GSP's) but Dave isn;t breeding currently and Bob went out of the breed for pointers and spaniels a decade or so ago.
    Thanks Ruff. Makes your initial point nice and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yeah, its the 'maimai whine' thats a deal breaker
    Yeah I bet that would be
    Yeah nah bro

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    They are not a problem when hunting ,stalking and so on , it's when they are not ,they don't like sitting round They are fine when pointing too . Mine is not as bad as some ,but he goes to town when I hit shingle roads now( he knows he's going hunting) Drives me nuts .
    On a similar note, anyone running labs on deer have trouble with them panting quite loudly and scaring the game? I'm not sure if this trait is widespread but the labs I've come across (pets, not gundogs) pant pretty loudly. I don't really suppose that if I deer couldn't smell you/your dog it would be a huge problem but I'm just curious.
    Gibo likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Growing up everyone in my family who hunted had one. Sitting in maimai opposite one of my uncles dogs' maybe 150m away, across a still pond all you could hear was "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Hmmmmmmmmph!" then a thump and a "ssssssh" repeated every two odd minutes... Everyone that heard this dog reckoned my uncle better take it to a mechanic, as the whine was so loud he must have run a bearing or something
    mucko, phillipgr and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    On a similar note, anyone running labs on deer have trouble with them panting quite loudly and scaring the game? I'm not sure if this trait is widespread but the labs I've come across (pets, not gundogs) pant pretty loudly. I don't really suppose that if I deer couldn't smell you/your dog it would be a huge problem but I'm just curious.
    Maybe more of a couch potato fitness issue Phil?

Maybe more of a couch potato fitness issue Phil?
    Yeah that probably has a lot to do with it
    Yeah nah bro