Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Gsp wanted

To a degree with Labs, some of those Labs now bred to be so heavy as to resemble a small Rottweiller will have this issue regardless of fitness. The more Athletic English working type it's not so much an issue at all. There's a reason many call them "huffer dogs". Having said I have seen a spaniel put out of a live game trial for panting too loud... everyone was a bit shocked, but that was the standard the judge wanted met.

In a deer situation a dog, any dog, lab or not, of reasonable fitness shouldn;t be in a situation where it is breathing overly loudly unless it is stressed, has just chased something, is out of shape.
    phillipgr and Gibo like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    They are not a problem when hunting ,stalking and so on , it's when they are not ,they don't like sitting round They are fine when pointing too . Mine is not as bad as some ,but he goes to town when I hit shingle roads now( he knows he's going hunting) Drives me nuts .
    that brings back memories. My dog would get excited when he could hear the gunsafe being opened, see the wife or I put on sandshoes, start the Hilux, hook on the jetboat or travel gravel roads.
    I used to let him out a km or 2 before a hunt if I could, and he would be off. The amount of times I have come around a corner on a back road to see him squeezing one out in the middle of the road, just so you couldnt pass him was unreal. He drove me nuts at times.
    He simmered down heaps as he got older.
    Gibo likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    that brings back memories. My dog would get excited when he could hear the gunsafe being opened, see the wife or I put on sandshoes, start the Hilux, hook on the jetboat or travel gravel roads.
    I used to let him out a km or 2 before a hunt if I could, and he would be off. The amount of times I have come around a corner on a back road to see him squeezing one out in the middle of the road, just so you couldnt pass him was unreal. He drove me nuts at times.
    He simmered down heaps as he got older.
    The problem with that can be as they get fitter you have to let them out earlier and earlier... in the end you just open the kennel and meet them at the parking point!
    R93, Munsey and JoshC like this.

Do GWP have the same problem with the whining?

How is the breeding pool in NZ for Weimaraner?
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Do GWP have the same problem with the whining?
    No! it could exist in some of the show lines but I haven;t much to do with them. Not an issue, from my experience in the working lines.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    How is the breeding pool in NZ for Weimaraner?
    Completely rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    No! it could exist in some of the show lines but I haven;t much to do with them. Not an issue, from my experience in the working lines.

Completely rooted.
    That's a good but bugger about the weimaraner.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

to get the best of both worlds you can get slick/smooth coated GWP's............ just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    To a degree with Labs, some of those Labs now bred to be so heavy as to resemble a small Rottweiller will have this issue regardless of fitness. The more Athletic English working type it's not so much an issue at all. There's a reason many call them "huffer dogs".
    Coming from the UK that's the kind of Lab I'm used to. Do you know which NZ breeders (North Island preferably) still breed this type and focus on working lines? I've looked online but most of the sites just refer to temperament/nature rather than be specific about working potential.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Coming from the UK that's the kind of Lab I'm used to. Do you know which NZ breeders (North Island preferably) still breed this type and focus on working lines? I've looked online but most of the sites just refer to temperament/nature rather than be specific about working potential.
    I know bonecrusher was looking to breed from his lab which is either an import or from an English line, I'm not sure, you should PM him

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

GSP
    Burnsy - Wendy Schwalger in Christchurch, Falkenhof kennels, she also breeds GSP. Her import dog is very nice.
    Munsey likes this.

Give Jim B a call, he has some good dogs, have a young bitch of his and she is going very well. Have had this line for 18 years and the current one is the best, am in warkworth if you ever want to view one of his dogs.

I hunted over a Broadbent GSP a couple of weekends ago, the dog hunted well and it retrieved well also

I wouldn't say "Completely rooted" as with each breed there are some that are nutters and some extraordinary workers. There are still Wei devotees that are determined to improve / maintain the Weimaraner as a 'Loyal Working Companion' therefore the gene pool in NZ will hopefully reflect this in future dogs.

Ejected
    I'm looking after a GSP at the moment. (my vets dog ) He whines a little when they are let out for feeding etc but is sweet as on the hill. Big bastard too, nice to hunt with. Not as noisey as some of the fucking foxies, little bastards.