Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Howling dog

Quote Originally Posted by Andygr View Post
    This sprang into my mind also. I'd be trying to find out what the root cause is first before applying any punitive action. Is he alone when it happens ? Are there any noises that set him off ? My old Rottie used to howl every time the rural fire siren went off and it was over 10 km away. It took me a few weeks before I heard it too and made the connection.
    A few of the dogs in our area do that
    Andygr likes this.

Not PC or Woke or whatever. But worked a treat for us.

Had a GSP in Welly that would go into barking sessions during the work day. My neighbour told me. I suggested if she would like to be part of the solution? She was a "yes please". I set up a hose from her house to ours, and duct taped (the solution to all engineering problems) the hose nozzle to a tree by his run. When he wasn't around, made sure it point blanc fired into his kennel.

Sure enough, next day, at work, he started a howling session. My neighbour turned on the hose. Dog went immediately quiet. 30 minutes later, another howl. She walked out. He stopped. An hour later, he started up again, she snuck out, hosed him. Not another bark/howl ever.

Dogs, you just have to catch in the act to correct them. And have a helpful neighbour that doesn't look horrified at you like my last PC/Woke one up here when you suggest the same thing.
    rugerman, Gibo and Ned like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

the bark collars do not work for howling so make sure its a remote based one (rather than bark) you give a go

they howl, get a shock. howl again get a shock till it becomes constant shocking/howling.
    the core of the behavior was separation anxiety with my dog so the cure came from keeping the energy low when leaving or arriving back home and ignoring the dog for 20min before leaving and 20min before acknowledging them on return.
    rugerman and 257weatherby like this.