Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: importing Frozen Semen i

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    What do you think of the DDs ( won't even attempt to spell ) system ?. Have had a yarn to a couple of the people involved , seems like a good way to stay connected with hunting lines for the future .? Whats your thoughts people's ?
    I've been up to one of their meetings and met the guys and the dogs. Nice group of guys and nice dogs. As long as they can find people like the ones they have they will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimaicockher View Post
    interesting as its something i often think about my self, but the price tag........... that's gotta hurt
    I don't see the problem, it's a cheap hobby in the scheme of things. The last dog I brought into the country cost the same as a gearset for a drag car I had.

*Edit* I just looked up the receipt - the dog was cheaper
    Last edited by Pointer; 21-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    I've been up to one of their meetings and met the guys and the dogs. Nice group of guys and nice dogs. As long as they can find people like the ones they have they will do well.
    The two people talked to where into dog promotion and not self promotion , which sits well with me .

yeh no problem with it at all , some thing i will be looking more in to, in time....

the problem is , just because you import a few dogs does not make them good , it just makes them imported , very good starting point though

yeh no problem with it at all , some thing i will be looking more in to, in time....

the problem is , just because you import a few dogs does not make them good , it just makes them imported , very good starting point though
    bingo - this is what I was trying to say to El Borracho - start with something proven in our conditions and our testing systems. sires are the easy part, they are determined by the size of your cheque book.

You are talking setters Kaimai?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    The two people talked to where into dog promotion and not self promotion , which sits well with me .
    I agree

well you see my problem is i would like a few dogs from each breed ha ha , i love them all

it would be cocker or setter or lab or springer ,, but need much much more time with all of them before i would commit to anything ......... its just some thing my dog obsessed mind thinks about ha ha

the lab and springer blood is here already so ....................

Sorry I forgot to reply to the original question

As Kawhia says, I chose to import the whole dog instead of just semen and I'm glad I did.

You took a smart way, you imported an older proven dog as opposed to an unproven pup. I reckon semen is good if it is from an dog of a proven performance, had all the traits you want, that was known to produce well, one that you had gone and seen for yourself - but semen for the sake of it I'm not so sure
    Last edited by Pointer; 21-08-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Yeah getting a proven dog is important. Quick had sired 3 litters before I imported him and the German system allows assessment via test results but most importantly I had a good contact in Germany to look at dogs for me and assist in the process.

That part is the hardest part about importing dogs/semen, assessing dogs from half way around the world.

Yeah getting a proven dog is important. Quick had sired 3 litters before I imported him and the German system allows assessment via test results but most importantly I had a good contact in Germany to look at dogs for me and assist in the process.

That part is the hardest part about importing dogs/semen, assessing dogs from half way around the world.

thats what i was talking with ruff about (off forum) ,, that would be the hardest part

well you see my problem is i would like a few dogs from each breed ha ha , i love them all

it would be cocker or setter or lab or springer ,, but need much much more time with all of them before i would commit to anything ......... its just some thing my dog obsessed mind thinks about ha ha

the lab and springer blood is here already so ....................
    the cocker blood is here too bro, we have another one due to hit the sand in dec, in pup with a repeat mating to the current crop of upcoming uk fch's.

thats the biggest issue, my next import is going to be a young pup, from a sire i want and a bitch line i'm familiar with.

I was about to say the cockers have plenty of support too. Good luck with the new imports kawhia!

Is there much difference between the Cocker and Springer in both temperament and work
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question