Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Lagotto Romagnolo (Italian water dog)

Lagotto Romagnolo (Italian water dog)

Has anyone hunted birds with a Lagotto? They are a fairly rare breed here but have a fine reputation in Europe (and the UK). The Lagotto is an ancient breed. In some of my research, both the Labrador and the Poodle descend from it. They were used a lot in the Romagna region of north east Italy when extensive marshlands existed prior to 19th century drainage. They would accompany waterfowl hunters in shallow draft vessels and needed to be neither too big nor too small - the Goldilocks size - but robust enough to retrieve game from conditions of sometimes dense foliage.

do they respond when owners drop firearm and run????
    75/15/10 black powder matters

There are breeders in Chch one of whoms hubby hints over them

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    There are breeders in Chch one of whoms hubby hints over them
    Mine has a very strong self-hunting drive that I've yet to harness properly. She's seven years old now but still keen to learn and I intend to take her upland pheasant hunting, probably on a longish leash initially. She wasn't one of those dogs that naturally retrieve things thrown away, but learnt to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMis View Post
    Mine has a very strong self-hunting drive that I've yet to harness properly. She's seven years old now but still keen to learn and I intend to take her upland pheasant hunting, probably on a longish leash initially. She wasn't one of those dogs that naturally retrieve things thrown away, but learnt to do that.
    If not under control at 7 years of age don't think it will ever happen.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    If not under control at 7 years of age don't think it will ever happen.
    When you say not under control, do you mean that she should cease and desist immediately from pursuing a bird when I command her? For instance, I have her on a long 30metre lead at the beach and have trained her to return when commanded without pulling on the lead; which she largely obeys. But, the lead is still there because I'm not fully confident that she won't swim off to Rangitoto from Kohi Beach. I also have a partner, however, who encourages her wild side and will not fully co-operate with my more disciplined approach. This doesn't help the dog (or me).

fully under control means just that..... comes when told,sits when told. the owner of those two wolf hounds in Ozzie possibly thought they were largely obeying too......by 6 months old the long line should be a training aid...not a necessity to ensure they behave.
    tetawa and rugerman like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    fully under control means just that..... comes when told,sits when told. the owner of those two wolf hounds in Ozzie possibly thought they were largely obeying too......by 6 months old the long line should be a training aid...not a necessity to ensure they behave.
    I'll need to improve my training regime with the next one.