Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ruff
  • 1 Post By el borracho
  • 1 Post By Ruff

Thread: A new way ahead perhaps?

A new way ahead perhaps?

A couple of years ago i stumbled on some new principles and ideas in the realm of training gundogs I do not believe have been fully explored before let alone made public. I have, of course, adopted these for myself and have been teaching others. The results have been nothing short of overwhelming often with what others would have termed "difficult dogs" previously! I now have a way to get a dog working with you and for you, happily preferring to do that than "run its own race" with no treats, e-collar, no clickers no "new age" training and no harsh treatment allowing the dog to be a dog and to enjoy being a dog working in total harmony with its handler. These new methods have already attracted attention from several of our professional dog services in NZ (Including government ones) and international interest! I believe there is a huge future for it.

So, today I finished the first installment which will be published as a stand alone article in NZ Rod and Rifle Magazine. The entire system will be published in sequential articles and later be available in its entirety in an e-book for download. If you want to follow the entire system then I suggest you subscribe to the magazine as the e-book will be at least 2 years away from availability.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/NZ-Rod...231626?fref=ts
    Barefoot likes this.

I hope you dont give to much away Clarke in your aticles !! the ebook is a great Idea but I think you should go to paper asap also
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

It's been well analysed Brian, it probably will happen. Rod and Rifle has a new owner and I spent last Saturday with him and discussed options. There will be a hard copy as well but everything in the book will be in the articles. Brendon will still be solidly involved with Rod and Rifle.

I look forward to buying a hard copy once its published !signed of course -to mr e collar ....lol
    Ruff likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Farrrrrrk you mean I have to learn to write my name as well.... farrrrrk

But I will share one paragraph from the initial article to give some idea of where I am going...
    "I realised a few years back that the basic thought process usually applied to training a dog is at odds with the basic composition of a dogs’ thinking. The majority of methods are premised on the belief the dog wants to do things at odds to its handler. However, I knew a dog is pre-programmed by its very nature to want to hunt in a pack collectively for a collectively successful result. I asked the question... “Why can’t we tap into that and have the dog want to hunt with us and for us for a mutually successful result”? It also dawned on me at that time that the very best handlers, whether they would have put in these terms or not... Jim Clarke, Bob Whitehead, Leon Mortenson and more, actually achieved this with their dogs. The best handlers’ dogs were not the most disciplined, not the most drilled or over trained. They simply seemed to have a disposition that lead them hunt with their handler... It seemed almost mythical to me that this could be done, you had to be able to be the second coming of Canis lupus in your DNA to do so and dogs just naturally did this for some people... Rubbish, anyone can do it. It simply requires changing the focus from trying to get the dog to understand us (Impossible) to having us understand the dog!"
    el borracho likes this.

I have always maintained that they know more about us than we will ever know about them...how we underestimate the dog...its symbiotic, not parasitic!!!

I look forward to reading your articles.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I have always maintained that they know more about us than we will ever know about them...how we underestimate the dog...its symbiotic, not parasitic!!!

I look forward to reading your articles.
    Thanks.
    Because of their focus on body language they can read us very well, but I fear you'll struggle with the area that deals with how intelligent, or otherwise, they actually are.

Dog intellect...inspite of them being in the company of humans for so long, they still cleave to much of their ancients' instinct...thankfully for them and for us!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...