Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: proper pointers

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    just read this whole thread before realising Hoon was on here, welcome bro
    cheers dude. Someone left the front door open, so I just wandered in

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Exactly, it's a dog, do what you like with it. No-one in NZ can say they use a pointer like the poms do. Which in my personal opinion is a good thing - keeping a team of dogs for 6 weeks grouse shooting per year seems ridiculous
    don't forget the trialling and grouse counting.
    also the cost to shoot the grouse would keep a few packs in mighty mix for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Agree totally Danny, or the ultimate in small game.......Hares!
    im not allowed to shoot the hairs around here, but love seeing the dog working them

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    you got good pointer land to hunt on?I would never shoot fur over any dog i want to shoot upland game over especially if trialing
    the only pointer land i got is rotoehu forest , but parts of that would be spaniel country also, hammered by alot of hunters but a day out is a day out

thats why hunting spaniels is good some trails are on rabbits..... is i ever get to a trail that is ..........the young dog been chasing to many runners

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Classic. Thats what I though. I overheat in pants and a thin fleece top!
    Suffer for style Tussock -suffer

How is it you overheat in the south in winter months--bird shooting shouldn't be one that fast
    Last edited by el borracho; 08-08-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimaicockher View Post
    the only pointer land i got is rotoehu forest , but parts of that would be spaniel country also, hammered by alot of hunters but a day out is a day out

thats why hunting spaniels is good some trails are on rabbits..... is i ever get to a trail that is ..........the young dog been chasing to many runners
    when I was hunting years ago the local Iwi took control of the forest and no one could shoot the forest for some time -is it open to all comers now ? I remember a few trialers used to hunt it with some success -an American guy that is a scientist with Robyn Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    just read this whole thread before realising Hoon was on here, welcome bro..Brian, you struggle to walk the dunes in tramping boots, shorts n T shirt, how the fuck are you going to cope in tweed.
    Z I never struggled,I was a killing machine like no other not like now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Only bird shooting Iv done that fits in this thread is quail. Shitloads of quail found home. Some good country for it too. Some places have heaps on public land. Lots of gorse bushes though. Anyone with a dog wants to do this type of shooting, I can hunt out an area.

There are plenty in the high country. And its STEEP! Some places quail hunting would be very similar to Tahr hunting.
    I would welcom an invite o bring a dog down and hunt it with you next season

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    when I was hunting years ago the local Iwi took control of the forest and no one could shoot the forest for some time -is it open to all comers now ? I remember a few trialers used to hunt it with some success -an American guy that is a scientist with Robyn Gaskin
    yes the forest is open to bird shooting threw out the session , you need a permit $50 but thats just a phone call , nice big area to hunt

Tussock making offers like that will have every upland hunter on the forum being your best mate. Now if you had Chukar ground also...

Sounds good to me. Hope you and your dog like Gorse I will keep my eye out for places with good quail numbers and scrub you can move around in and live. There was a big area I knew that looked great, but I have not been there for a while as I have not had a vehicle with a Snorkel for a while. Will go have a look in a few months when Im back in NZ. I will do a bit of ground work and map out some areas which would shoot Ok.
    that will be a trip worth planning -Pointer is quite correct lol

Only bird shooting Iv done that fits in this thread is quail. Shitloads of quail found home. Some good country for it too. Some places have heaps on public land. Lots of gorse bushes though. Anyone with a dog wants to do this type of shooting, I can hunt out an area.

There are plenty in the high country. And its STEEP! Some places quail hunting would be very similar to Tahr hunting.
    I'd come down for that type of shooting, would even bring some pointers

Told you they would come out of the woodwork Tussock!

Did I hear someone boasting quail

Keep away all Tussocks my new mate

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!