Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Teaching NO !

so then can some one please tell me how to teach this no command that yous are all teaching ... i have only asked about 6-7 times

Shhhhheeeeesssssssh Wayne, this is getting complex...so only women and dog handlers say yes when they mean no, and no when they mean stop, and yes when they mean no
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

My lab cross since puppydom has always liked to please When young if chewing something he d get told no while being pointed out said object would be taken and told no. Couple of times just flicked on the nose and told look at me and then no. So some words some handling to gain full attention and repititon and consistency. He was a very easy dog to train and we did spend some time plus always consistent commands and if others were here it was always just tell him no don't say get or go away .Stop is palm out and if told stop he ll stop. Ssshh means stalk mode plus stay close or just behind me I m no dog trainer but lucky he likes to please people and is cleverer than most of us.Tell him to get the duck then he knows there's one to find and will not stop till called off or found.The younger jack Russell was easier she copies him so learnt quickly If she gets told off she almost crys softie. No credit to me he's just clever.

Ejected
    And you've been told already. STOP!!! Whatever that may be to you, but your dog needs to know stop.

No. Stop. No. STop.

Ejected
    They are the same. It's up to you whether no/stop is they stand there, or they head to the neighbours cause the bitch there is hot, eat all the food of the MIL plate (ok, I'd give El b's NEW bitch to him for that)Just stop.

Someone once told me that to correct a behaviour in a dog you smack them on the nose with a roll up of newspaper whilst repeating NO...never liked that idea...it is their nose that is so important

I don't see a problem with No meaning I do not want you to that and Stop meaning Stop traveling stop moving and wait til I say go or come here or go over there No also does tell him if hes going to get something that its not that way He. will listen and change direction on that and start scenting in another direction.The more commands available that you both understand and work with the better. Just consistency I reckon ???

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Someone once told me that to correct a behaviour in a dog you smack them on the nose with a roll up of newspaper whilst repeating NO...never liked that idea...it is their nose that is so important
    I agree to get Murphs full attention just touch his nose or tap very lightly not hard !

Observed something today whilst in town...a blind man was making his way along the street with his lovely labrador guide when a guy walked pass with a mutty combo type dog...which hackled up as they passed the guide dog...his handler said no no no and moved his dog on...with a few yards, his dog put himself in the sit position and waited as the man dug out from a pocket a treat for him...
    Twoshotkill likes this.

There's been the odd person I ve worked with that could use the newspaper roll up on their nose. Some just to check that they're still alive ! Ha

Im teaching my 10 week old pup "UT" (because his name is Beau, too close to no) with a firm voice and HE gets it. When he chews on power cords "UT". When he chews on the coffee table "UT". When he chews on the couch "UT". When he bites my hand "UT" then he stops biting me. That proves there is no confusion he realises he cant do that and stops. I haven't had him a week and he gets the jist. Don't over analyse it.
    Grim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Observed something today whilst in town...a blind man was making his way along the street with his lovely labrador guide when a guy walked pass with a mutty combo type dog...which hackled up as they passed the guide dog...his handler said no no no and moved his dog on...with a few yards, his dog put himself in the sit position and waited as the man dug out from a pocket a treat for him...
    My bro in law is blind EB His guide dog retired a year or so ago but still lives with them just doesn't work. They were some team he d lead bro in law to town (3kms ?) through Town down to the sports shop bak door for a beer on a Friday night Watching him go sideways to make sure the trees never hit his owner Awesome . I think he ll try to get another but just not yet.
    Wirehunt and username like this.

The relationship must be extraordinary.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Or to really spell it out. No and stop are one and the same when it come to dogs.
    No No No,
    your bloody wrong.

NO-
    means, cease and desist, your not to eat your food till i say so, do not chase the cat, do not fetch the duck until i say so, stc etc.

Stop means
    STOP.
    Happy likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?