Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What to breed to

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Yes, they are and some, well, most judges are usually happy to allow people to walk behind them when the judging is being done...
    Sounds cool EeeBees. This thread is really interesting to me. I'd love to see some dogs work, I'll have to visit one of the north island dog enthusiasts to watch the real deal one day!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    I'm confused, what does blinking have to do with breeding again?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

EeeBees,they do like the birds but think they're doing something wrong -just got to discover what that is.
    Yeah weve got of track no biggy.
    Talking with the guys about cost to import dogs--wow some serious $,one Aussi pointer from Italy was $30K
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Sounds cool EeeBees. This thread is really interesting to me. I'd love to see some dogs work, I'll have to visit one of the north island dog enthusiasts to watch the real deal one day!
    Dougie the North Island Trial Champs are being held in Hawkes Bay this year October 13-14...what happens is that the SI Champs are held, then the NIs then the NZs 20 -21st October at Atiamuri. As the NZs are hosted in respective islands alternatively, if the NZs are in the South Island, then the NIs are held first, then the SIs along with the NZs. These champs include the Pointer and Setter (of which the HPRs as in Germans Wire Hairs, Vizsla, German Shorthairs, Weimeraner, etc, are included), then there are the Spaniels, then the Retrievers as in Labradors, Chessapeakes, Golden Retrievers, Flat coat Retrievers etc. If anyone was thinking of getting a gundog breed these events do provide a good opportunity to see how the breeds work etc.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    EeeBees,they do like the birds but think they're doing something wrong -just got to discover what that is.
    Talking with the guys about cost to import dogs--wow some serious $,one Aussi pointer from Italy was $30K

Shocking to think that a dog driven by his instincts to scent etc should be ever allowed to find pointing birds as a misdemeanour...it just isnt right...

Big money them show dogs
    RCGSP likes this.

What dogs do you have EeeBees?Are you entering the NZ Champs

Dougie the North Island Trial Champs are being held in Hawkes Bay this year October 13-14...what happens is that the SI Champs are held, then the NIs then the NZs 20 -21st October at Atiamuri. As the NZs are hosted in respective islands alternatively, if the NZs are in the South Island, then the NIs are held first, then the SIs along with the NZs. These champs include the Pointer and Setter (of which the HPRs as in Germans Wire Hairs, Vizsla, German Shorthairs, Weimeraner, etc, are included), then there are the Spaniels, then the Retrievers as in Labradors, Chessapeakes, Golden Retrievers, Flat coat Retrievers etc. If anyone was thinking of getting a gundog breed these events do provide a good opportunity to see how the breeds work etc.
    Just my luck, I'll be off playing toy soldiers during that time I think. I might be able to catch the last day.

My thoughts exactly about thinking about a working dog - hubby likes Vizslas. I have one in a puppy class, holy crap that dog is on speed or something. She is a wimp but tries to compensate for it by being dog and people aggressive. Her owners purchased her from a photo....oh dear. Anyway I digress.

Have you heard of a Newfoundland Retriever or something like that? The main trainer at my club has three, they are small like a Brittney size, very very soft coat (not a double coat I don't think), and her three are all a lovely peach and white colour similar to a red collie. Are these used much for work?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Shocking to think that a dog driven by his instincts to scent etc should be ever allowed to find pointing birds as a misdemeanour...it just isnt right...
    sad but true it happens. Iv seen young dogs blink probably through a fright factor of an opening trap and rush of wings beating-they grow outta that quick --its the human pressure blinks that are a worry

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Just my luck, I'll be off playing toy soldiers during that time I think. I might be able to catch the last day.

My thoughts exactly about thinking about a working dog - hubby likes Vizslas. I have one in a puppy class, holy crap that dog is on speed or something. She is a wimp but tries to compensate for it by being dog and people aggressive. Her owners purchased her from a photo....oh dear. Anyway I digress.

Have you heard of a Newfoundland Retriever or something like that? The main trainer at my club has three, they are small like a Brittney size, very very soft coat (not a double coat I don't think), and her three are all a lovely peach and white colour similar to a red collie. Are these used much for work?

Dougie, are you meaning the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Dog...gorgeous little dogs...their mode of duck work is crazy but wonderful!! I have seen a couple...very pretty (um is that the right word to use, oh heck, its there so it can stay there!!!!!)

haha yeah newfies aren't exactly brit size!

It's no different to any gun dog being gun-shy because the introduction to gunshot wasn't done correctly. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

As others have said, instinct / prey drive / natural ability etc (or lack there of) is of no relevance what so ever to blinking.

What dogs do you have EeeBees?Are you entering the NZ Champs
    I have the Epagneul Breton (French Brittany). See entries close on the 15th of September. Had hoped to go to the NIs as they are being hosted as you would know by HB...which would have been cool to attend as it would only be a 30 minute drive instead of the usual hours to attend any event...which means luke warm thermos...how I hate that...thank goodness for Wild Bean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    It's no different to any gun dog being gun-shy because the introduction to gunshot wasn't done correctly. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

As others have said, instinct / prey drive / natural ability etc (or lack there of) is of no relevance what so ever to blinking.
    Being gun shy is one thing, but the natural instinct of a hunting dog being mangled is terrible...it is their whole essence...it is who and what they are...yes?

sad but true it happens. Iv seen young dogs blink probably through a fright factor of an opening trap and rush of wings beating-they grow outta that quick --its the human pressure blinks that are a worry
    Then if a trapped bird is the only live bird a youngster is ever exposed to, then the blinking problem is in no way, the dogs fault in my reckoning...