Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What do I do?

I disagree EeeBees, I've heard these stories before. A guy I grew up idolizing as a kid stopped shooting when his top dog, a curly, died. I spent many a morning as a youngster on Whirinaki when it wasn't a weedy shithole watching that curly. It's a familiar story. Either a guy picks himself up, or he doesn't. Either a guy dreams of the past, or he dreams of the future

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I disagree EeeBees, I've heard these stories before. A guy I grew up idolizing as a kid stopped shooting when his top dog, a curly, died. I spent many a morning as a youngster on Whirinaki when it wasn't a weedy shithole watching that curly. It's a familiar story. Either a guy picks himself up, or he doesn't. Either a guy dreams of the past, or he dreams of the future
    Oh, thank you, Pointer, I did not realise it works like that...each little puppy is a new future for someone isnt it?
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I'm sure it works differently for others, we are all different. No doubt everyone reading this has had setbacks and heartbreaks, personal struggles of their own. Poor fella. replacing a dog is hard, let along replacing what some have called a great

I'm trying to find a piece I have here written about the great John Nash of Moanruad fame, who Erlandson described as the arguably the greatest trainer of all. It describes the death of a great dog of his early on, (Possibly Int FTCH Queen of Glengar from memory?), and how it spurred him on in the quest to better it, a quest that spanned many decades and many different breeds. Obviously the legacy he left, outweighed the dog in questions legacy. Will dig it out and scan it
    RCGSP likes this.

I know the feeling. I had 3 bitches in 10 years who where always there to win the trial. The type of bitch the other guys knew they were running for the second place. I've been first and second on more than one occasion. At this moment the young ones don't "have" it. Good dogs but nothing more. It's hard to accept, but I am looking for better ones. At a moment they will be there again. It's only by linebreeding that you get a line that produces good dogs on a regular basis. So I am breeding back to the ones that gave me the best. I linebreed on both "dam sides" and allow some outcross on the sires side.
    A famous pointerbreeder in Italy says that there is a huge diffrence between breeding dogs and trial dogs. The breeding part is strongly linebred, the trialdogs are 1st generation outcrosses to this line.

Smut, that would be Dr. Guberti? A fascinating man...

Bob Whele had similar results. Same thing as Dr. Guberti, closed pedigree, very much inbred. However all Wheles great champs were the result of outcrosses or one generation from outcrosses.

Looks like I will be using the one son who not only hunts like but is a dead ringer... let's see how we go, will hang in there for a while.
    Wirehunt and Pointer like this.

Good boy Ruff , Stay .
    EeeBees likes this.
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

You can borrow my vizsla to put across cheyenne and it will bring the excitement back of having a dog your not.quite sure what its going to do etc lol. Break all the moulds and go against the current, the grain, logic amd everything else its fun to go against
    Grim and Ruff like this.

Indeed it's Dr Guberti that I speak about. I didn't knew his fame comes down that much south.

Ruff, you only find apples under an appletree. You only find good ones that might pass their qualities on, out of other good ones, wich are linebred. I don't say that you don't have good outcrosses. But where do their qualities come from? and whill they pass these qualities on? That good son is the way to go, but I would at lest mate him to a granddaughter of Brick. With the future in mind, you should use him on a few bitches, so that you will be able to cross those again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    Indeed it's Dr Guberti that I speak about. I didn't knew his fame comes down that much south.

Ruff, you only find apples under an appletree. You only find good ones that might pass their qualities on, out of other good ones, wich are linebred. I don't say that you don't have good outcrosses. But where do their qualities come from? and whill they pass these qualities on? That good son is the way to go, but I would at lest mate him to a granddaughter of Brick. With the future in mind, you should use him on a few bitches, so that you will be able to cross those again in the future.
    Hales, sorry you seem to be misunderstanding... I did say above he has sired over 80 puppies... the main issue is that I wouldn;t have personally selected the respective bitches for him... the bitch I have is the best, on paper cross, for him available for a host of reasons... which is why I bought her....

I agree regarding line breeding... the only point of difference between us, an d many breeders is how close you go. Jim Clarke has been able to stay true to his line, with very little complete outcrossing for generations by not getting closer than grandparents... it 's the philosophy I follow... I wont go as close as most, and as a result will not have to go as far away as as most.

Sorry, I was of the idea that she was an outcross to Brick. You also must consider that it's possible that she doesn't throw the stuff. From my three best bitches, the best doesn't produce. She had two litters and nothing came from her. Sometimes very good bitches don't produce. Why ?????? But than we have to try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Hales, sorry you seem to be misunderstanding... I did say above he has sired over 80 puppies... the main issue is that I wouldn;t have personally selected the respective bitches for him... the bitch I have is the best, on paper cross, for him available for a host of reasons... which is why I bought her....
    Did Jim Clarke breed on paper alone?

I agree regarding line breeding... the only point of difference between us, an d many breeders is how close you go. Jim Clarke has been able to stay true to his line, with very little complete outcrossing for generations by not getting closer than grandparents... it 's the philosophy I follow... I wont go as close as most, and as a result will not have to go as far away as as most.
    A Brick son over a Brick grand daughter will only give you a 6.25% COI if my maths is correct, that's very minor.

what are the chances that breeding using hybrid vigour that any that throw back to the spanial would be more like brick. it wouldnt matter what sire you use because your after the throw back. there would of coarse be a percentage of cross breed.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    what are the chances that breeding using hybrid vigour that any that throw back to the spanial would be more like brick. it wouldnt matter what sire you use because your after the throw back. there would of coarse be a percentage of cross breed.
    That suggestion should get Ruff barking mad, if nothing does. And sometimes nothing does.
    Ruff, el borracho and Dougie like this.