Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    A cross breed, while often a useful hunter really represents no value to me at all... primarily because my focus is improving dogs... crossing will produce one generation with hybrid vigour and no where to go... another dead end... of no use at all in the wider scheme of things. that aside...
    What about importing semen?

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    What about importing semen?
    What we have in NZ is better than what is available overseas in my opinion.

- Softness in temperamet is IMHO the most difficult to correct when breeding. It's very hard to get got levelheaded pups out of soft bitches. At least that's what I experienced.
    - Linebreeding only has good effect in the first 3 generations. This means having has much as possible the same dog/bitch in the firts three generations.
    - I don't like Art Insimination as the result is far less good as natural. Which dog to use ? As there is a good son around no use for art insimination.
    - I don't know the NZ spaniels, but can assure you that there are other very good ones around. The modern English trial dog might not be the solution, but there are good strains in Ireland, Italy and Belgium.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    - Softness in temperamet is IMHO the most difficult to correct when breeding. It's very hard to get got levelheaded pups out of soft bitches. At least that's what I experienced.
    - Linebreeding only has good effect in the first 3 generations. This means having has much as possible the same dog/bitch in the firts three generations.
    - I don't like Art Insimination as the result is far less good as natural. Which dog to use ? As there is a good son around no use for art insimination.
    - I don't know the NZ spaniels, but can assure you that there are other very good ones around. The modern English trial dog might not be the solution, but there are good strains in Ireland, Italy and Belgium.

Good Luck.
    I accept that, but we've done it... ion this line.

I understand your line breeding contention, we just disagree it's the way to go, I'm ok with that.

I have been thinking about the "harder" lines yu have mentioned and will contact you at some stage.

Thanks.